New Laptop [Lenovo prefered]

Miss Lioness

You might not get a Windows machine with the same build quality etc but in 3 years time you'll have money left over (compared to if you bought a mac) to buy a brand new one which then WILL DEFINITELY be a higher spec than the mac is.

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the build quality of Apple products, but I'm not very happy with my recent purchase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSf8qiRa30

That said, I'm happy with it in every other way. But if you have a limited budget, I'd put what you have towards a non-Apple machine, especially if that's what you're already used to.

That's not a screen glitch, the problem's with the OS. You might want to check if you have updates that would fix that.

Reinstalled the OS twice now using two different methods. 99% sure it's not the OS.

If you reinstalled twice, means it's probably not a driver problem. Not sure what the problem is though since it doesn't look like a hardware issue either. It is possible that the graphics card has something to do with it though. I'd put your laptop on warranty if it's still valid.

Considering Apple's very good customer service, I'd definitely have it taken in, assuming he/she is still under Apple Care.

It's been in twice already, going in again in 2 weeks.

They'll probably completely replace it if this is your third time going in.

Have an Android phone? Check out my Runescape apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=SAA

Follow my app development Twitter here.

You might not get a Windows machine with the same build quality etc but in 3 years time you'll have money left over (compared to if you bought a mac) to buy a brand new one which then WILL DEFINITELY be a higher spec than the mac is.

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the build quality of Apple products, but I'm not very happy with my recent purchase:

That said, I'm happy with it in every other way. But if you have a limited budget, I'd put what you have towards a non-Apple machine, especially if that's what you're already used to.

That's not a screen glitch, the problem's with the OS. You might want to check if you have updates that would fix that.

Reinstalled the OS twice now using two different methods. 99% sure it's not the OS.

If you reinstalled twice, means it's probably not a driver problem. Not sure what the problem is though since it doesn't look like a hardware issue either. It is possible that the graphics card has something to do with it though. I'd put your laptop on warranty if it's still valid.

Considering Apple's very good customer service, I'd definitely have it taken in, assuming he/she is still under Apple Care.

It's been in twice already, going in again in 2 weeks.

They'll probably completely replace it if this is your third time going in.

Doubt it. My guess will be that they'll take it off me to do a logic board replacement, then ship it back to me. Hopefully that fixes it, or else I'll have to deal with trying to go through the whole process again, but without access to an Apple store.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Interesting. Check my response in the same post below regarding your issue.

Lol at installing Windows on a Macbook. Doesn't work better than a regular laptop either lol.

What's the problem?

The problem is that you pay 2 and 3 times the price for the same thing as a computer that already has Windows on it. And it's not just apple products that last long, my old Asus laptop is now 6 years old and still runs like new. In fact, most brands last as long as a macbook because that's the amount of time they're designed to last, which is about 5 years nowadays since they know people will probably have replaced it by that time.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Where could I get a Windows laptop for 2 to 3 times cheaper that:

• Has the same specs as a MacBook Pro.
  • Has the same, sturdy build quality (anodized aluminum, trackpad made from glass, NO bezel around the screen that sticks out, etc.)
  • I get to talk to a person that speaks fluent English perfectly well, whenever I need support.

--

@@Miss Lioness

There's a reason Macs are typically the choice for university students. Go to your nearest Apple Store, try one out. Look up some of the features of the operating system. It allows you to be very organized.

I have however, heard good things about Lenovo, too. As a student with student needs, you can't really go wrong with a Lenovo laptop. Wouldn't almost any choice/model do?

I don't have to go far. My $1300 Asus ROG laptop has the same specs as my friend's $3000 Macbook Pro. Also, even if it's very small, I've never seen a macbook without a screen bezel. My Asus might not be completely in Aluminum, but it is hard, thick plastic with good quality. Also, I spoke with someone from Ontario which was fluent in english when I was doing some warranty stuff. We both upgraded our laptops later though, both added a SSD, and my Windows loads in about 10 seconds before being ready to be used, which is shorter than my friend's macbook pro. And where did I buy it? NCIX.com.

Also the reason why OSX seems to work better than Windows is that all laptops of the same model, with Apple, have the same hardware, which means the same drivers, which isn't true when it comes to Windows because they have to support thousands if not hundred of thousands of different hardware specifications. When it works good, like on all the computers I've had, it never crashes.

And you still failed to list specs.

I don't want to sound rude or criticizing, but without specs, your argument holds no water.

I have personally used both the Windows operating system and Mac's OS X for many years. OS X, hands down, is much more efficient for a professional/work environment.

Yes, I know this isn't laptops, and yes, I know, this is an OLD picture, but it's still true,

4623_1879_500.png

False.

Let me fix "Can become a Mac":

"Can illegally become a Mac".

Fixed.

Not to mention, that's why you're supposed to buy a base model and upgrade it on your own.

Except the base model already costs more than the other one that has the full specs. I don't know why someone would install Mac OSX* on something else than a Mac though.

Interesting. Check my response in the same post below regarding your issue.

Lol at installing Windows on a Macbook. Doesn't work better than a regular laptop either lol.

What's the problem?

The problem is that you pay 2 and 3 times the price for the same thing as a computer that already has Windows on it. And it's not just apple products that last long, my old Asus laptop is now 6 years old and still runs like new. In fact, most brands last as long as a macbook because that's the amount of time they're designed to last, which is about 5 years nowadays since they know people will probably have replaced it by that time.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Where could I get a Windows laptop for 2 to 3 times cheaper that:

• Has the same specs as a MacBook Pro.
  • Has the same, sturdy build quality (anodized aluminum, trackpad made from glass, NO bezel around the screen that sticks out, etc.)
  • I get to talk to a person that speaks fluent English perfectly well, whenever I need support.

--

@@Miss Lioness

There's a reason Macs are typically the choice for university students. Go to your nearest Apple Store, try one out. Look up some of the features of the operating system. It allows you to be very organized.

I have however, heard good things about Lenovo, too. As a student with student needs, you can't really go wrong with a Lenovo laptop. Wouldn't almost any choice/model do?

I don't have to go far. My $1300 Asus ROG laptop has the same specs as my friend's $3000 Macbook Pro. Also, even if it's very small, I've never seen a macbook without a screen bezel. My Asus might not be completely in Aluminum, but it is hard, thick plastic with good quality. Also, I spoke with someone from Ontario which was fluent in english when I was doing some warranty stuff. We both upgraded our laptops later though, both added a SSD, and my Windows loads in about 10 seconds before being ready to be used, which is shorter than my friend's macbook pro. And where did I buy it? NCIX.com.

Also the reason why OSX seems to work better than Windows is that all laptops of the same model, with Apple, have the same hardware, which means the same drivers, which isn't true when it comes to Windows because they have to support thousands if not hundred of thousands of different hardware specifications. When it works good, like on all the computers I've had, it never crashes.

And you still failed to list specs.

I don't want to sound rude or criticizing, but without specs, your argument holds no water.

I have personally used both the Windows operating system and Mac's OS X for many years. OS X, hands down, is much more efficient for a professional/work environment.

Yes, I know this isn't laptops, and yes, I know, this is an OLD picture, but it's still true,

4623_1879_500.png

False.

Let me fix "Can become a Mac":

"Can illegally become a Mac".

Fixed.

Not to mention, that's why you're supposed to buy a base model and upgrade it on your own.

Except the base model already costs more than the other one that has the full specs. I don't know why someone would install Mac OSX* on something else than a Mac though.

Indeed.

Have an Android phone? Check out my Runescape apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=SAA

Follow my app development Twitter here.

Well, back on topic...

If you want a little more portability, look at the U series. I have a U410, with an i7 (the ULV one though), 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive and 32gb ssd. It's only 4 pounds. You can't get another ultra book for that price, with those specs. It's not as thin and light as other ultrabooks, but it has more power.

2s0cxth.png

A lot for me. I used to have a Macbook pro, when they were a bit heavier. I would rather leave it at home and go to one of the labs, then have to carry it around. I have to walk/bike 2 or 3 miles a day though, and with other books and stuff, it made a difference.

This post made me inadvertently contribute to the Mac vs PC argument :P

2s0cxth.png