New Laptop [Lenovo prefered]

Miss Lioness

Hello there,

Next schoolyear, I'll go to the university and thus move out of house. That will leave me without a decent Desktop at home. Thus that means I need a reasonably good Laptop.

In the past I've owned a used Lenovo Laptop that worked for over 10 years and could still run some quite heavy programs without much hassle. My current Laptop, not a Lenovo, isn't really meant for heavy use and I only use it casual.

Thus from experience in the past I want a Lenovo Laptop for its sturdiness and reliability. But as a girl I have no freaking sight on the specs and all, so I want to ask you guys to help me find a decent to good Laptop.

I do have a rather big budget, but knowing Lenovo is rather pricey this will not help that much.

My budget is €800,-! But I generally want cheaper ofcourse!

If someone here has any recommendations, I would happily listen =3. Even if someone would recommend a different brand, I would consider.

Generally I have some time at the moment before I buy one ;D! It isn't really pocket change to buy another laptop after 2 years, but it is a necessity unfortunately as the university requires it!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=AC523278A4F13F27A84F5F5622D1AC7A&action=init&ipromoID=uspbstrbn1y58000744&

I got this one due to a recommendation from someone here and a few people irl. It's great for everything, though if you don't really care for performance in games then you might want to downgrade a little.

http://shop.lenovo.c...trbn1y58000744

I got this one due to a recommendation from someone here and a few people irl. It's great for everything, though if you don't really care for performance in games then you might want to downgrade a little.

I do not really care in general, but that doesn't mean I do not want to play any games =3!

Oh and btw, that one is out of reach for me =C, it is priced at €1094,-

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Hello there,

Next schoolyear, I'll go to the university and thus move out of house. That will leave me without a decent Desktop at home. Thus that means I need a reasonably good Laptop.

In the past I've owned a used Lenovo Laptop that worked for over 10 years and could still run some quite heavy programs without much hassle. My current Laptop, not a Lenovo, isn't really meant for heavy use and I only use it casual.

Thus from experience in the past I want a Lenovo Laptop for its sturdiness and reliability. But as a girl I have no freaking sight on the specs and all, so I want to ask you guys to help me find a decent to good Laptop.

I do have a rather big budget, but knowing Lenovo is rather pricey this will not help that much.

My budget is €800,-! But I generally want cheaper ofcourse!

If someone here has any recommendations, I would happily listen =3. Even if someone would recommend a different brand, I would consider.

Generally I have some time at the moment before I buy one ;D! It isn't really pocket change to buy another laptop after 2 years, but it is a necessity unfortunately as the university requires it!

Buy a MacBook Pro and install Windows on it.

Macs hold their value for quite an amount of time and also last. Every Apple product I've ever owned has lasted 3-5 years at least, and performed as good as day one.

Have an Android phone? Check out my Runescape apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=SAA

Follow my app development Twitter here.

Sadly I boycott Apple products...

• Like 1

Account Help

Yeah I wouldn't buy a mac. It costs 2-3 times as much money for the same performance. Plus they don't last longer.

Since the Y580 is out of your price range (it was cheaper when I got one, my bad), look into the Y500 or Y480.

I've got the Ideapad Y470, and it's been great for RS :P Consider what Hedge said and look into that range, as they're pretty good for performance.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Lol at installing Windows on a Macbook. Doesn't work better than a regular laptop either lol.

What's the problem?

The problem is that you pay 2 and 3 times the price for the same thing as a computer that already has Windows on it. And it's not just apple products that last long, my old Asus laptop is now 6 years old and still runs like new. In fact, most brands last as long as a macbook because that's the amount of time they're designed to last, which is about 5 years nowadays since they know people will probably have replaced it by that time.

Lol at installing Windows on a Macbook. Doesn't work better than a regular laptop either lol.

What's the problem?

The problem is that you pay 2 and 3 times the price for the same thing as a computer that already has Windows on it. And it's not just apple products that last long, my old Asus laptop is now 6 years old and still runs like new. In fact, most brands last as long as a macbook because that's the amount of time they're designed to last, which is about 5 years nowadays since they know people will probably have replaced it by that time.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Where could I get a Windows laptop for 2 to 3 times cheaper that:

• Has the same specs as a MacBook Pro.
  • Has the same, sturdy build quality (anodized aluminum, trackpad made from glass, NO bezel around the screen that sticks out, etc.)
  • I get to talk to a person that speaks fluent English perfectly well, whenever I need support.

--

@@Miss Lioness

There's a reason Macs are typically the choice for university students. Go to your nearest Apple Store, try one out. Look up some of the features of the operating system. It allows you to be very organized.

I have however, heard good things about Lenovo, too. As a student with student needs, you can't really go wrong with a Lenovo laptop. Wouldn't almost any choice/model do?

What's the problem?

• Has the same, sturdy build quality (anodized aluminum, trackpad made from glass, NO bezel around the screen that sticks out, etc.)
  • I get to talk to a person that speaks fluent English perfectly well, whenever I need support.

--

@@Miss Lioness

There's a reason Macs are typically the choice for university students. Go to your nearest Apple Store, try one out. Look up some of the features of the operating system. It allows you to be very organized.

I have however, heard good things about Lenovo, too. As a student with student needs, you can't really go wrong with a Lenovo laptop. Wouldn't almost any choice/model do?

I don't have to go far. My $1300 Asus ROG laptop has the same specs as my friend's $3000 Macbook Pro. Also, even if it's very small, I've never seen a macbook without a screen bezel. My Asus might not be completely in Aluminum, but it is hard, thick plastic with good quality. Also, I spoke with someone from Ontario which was fluent in english when I was doing some warranty stuff. We both upgraded our laptops later though, both added a SSD, and my Windows loads in about 10 seconds before being ready to be used, which is shorter than my friend's macbook pro. And where did I buy it? NCIX.com.

Also the reason why OSX seems to work better than Windows is that all laptops of the same model, with Apple, have the same hardware, which means the same drivers, which isn't true when it comes to Windows because they have to support thousands if not hundred of thousands of different hardware specifications. When it works good, like on all the computers I've had, it never crashes.

What's the problem?

--

@@Miss Lioness

I don't have to go far. My $1300 Asus ROG laptop has the same specs as my friend's $3000 Macbook Pro. Also, even if it's very small, I've never seen a macbook without a screen bezel. My Asus might not be completely in Aluminum, but it is hard, thick plastic with good quality. Also, I spoke with someone from Ontario which was fluent in english when I was doing some warranty stuff. We both upgraded our laptops later though, both added a SSD, and my Windows loads in about 10 seconds before being ready to be used, which is shorter than my friend's macbook pro. And where did I buy it? NCIX.com.

Also the reason why OSX seems to work better than Windows is that all laptops of the same model, with Apple, have the same hardware, which means the same drivers, which isn't true when it comes to Windows because they have to support thousands if not hundred of thousands of different hardware specifications. When it works good, like on all the computers I've had, it never crashes.

And you still failed to list specs.

I don't want to sound rude or criticizing, but without specs, your argument holds no water.

I have personally used both the Windows operating system and Mac's OS X for many years. OS X, hands down, is much more efficient for a professional/work environment.

Why would I need to list the specs when I said they had the same specs? I think you're just an Apple fanboy running out of arguments.

• Like 2

I have personally used both the Windows operating system and Mac's OS X for many years. OS X, hands down, is much more efficient for a professional/work environment.

Depends on what you mean by a professional or work environment. A programmer is not going to use the same environment as a graphics artist.

In any case, I would not choose OS X for coding. Linux beats it many times, and Windows is (in my opinion) much more reasonable when it comes to standard OS API (unlike OS X, which deprecates entire branches of its API every release while introducing new ones; have fun targeting all the x86 OS X editions with one code base!).

ozXHe7P.png

You might not get a Windows machine with the same build quality etc but in 3 years time you'll have money left over (compared to if you bought a mac) to buy a brand new one which then WILL DEFINITELY be a higher spec than the mac is.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

You might not get a Windows machine with the same build quality etc but in 3 years time you'll have money left over (compared to if you bought a mac) to buy a brand new one which then WILL DEFINITELY be a higher spec than the mac is.

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the build quality of Apple products, but I'm not very happy with my recent purchase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSf8qiRa30

That said, I'm happy with it in every other way. But if you have a limited budget, I'd put what you have towards a non-Apple machine, especially if that's what you're already used to.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

What's the problem?

--

@@Miss Lioness

I don't want to sound rude or criticizing, but without specs, your argument holds no water.

Yes, I know this isn't laptops, and yes, I know, this is an OLD picture, but it's still true,

4623_1879_500.png

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the build quality of Apple products, but I'm not very happy with my recent purchase:

That said, I'm happy with it in every other way. But if you have a limited budget, I'd put what you have towards a non-Apple machine, especially if that's what you're already used to.

That's not a screen glitch, the problem's with the OS. You might want to check if you have updates that would fix that.

That's not a screen glitch, the problem's with the OS. You might want to check if you have updates that would fix that.

Reinstalled the OS twice now using two different methods. 99% sure it's not the OS.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Reinstalled the OS twice now using two different methods. 99% sure it's not the OS.

If you reinstalled twice, means it's probably not a driver problem. Not sure what the problem is though since it doesn't look like a hardware issue either. It is possible that the graphics card has something to do with it though. I'd put your laptop on warranty if it's still valid.

Interesting. Check my response in the same post below regarding your issue.

What's the problem?

--

@@Miss Lioness

Yes, I know this isn't laptops, and yes, I know, this is an OLD picture, but it's still true,

4623_1879_500.png

False.

Let me fix "Can become a Mac":

"Can illegally become a Mac".

Fixed.

Not to mention, that's why you're supposed to buy a base model and upgrade it on your own.

Macs/Apple products have a far higher resell value than Windows/Microsoft products.

If you reinstalled twice, means it's probably not a driver problem. Not sure what the problem is though since it doesn't look like a hardware issue either. It is possible that the graphics card has something to do with it though. I'd put your laptop on warranty if it's still valid.

Considering Apple's very good customer service, I'd definitely have it taken in, assuming he/she is still under Apple Care.

Considering Apple's very good customer service, I'd definitely have it taken in, assuming he/she is still under Apple Care.

It's been in twice already, going in again in 2 weeks.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png