Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Noxx

Yeah it's pretty boring watching the killfeed. Either it's a BAL or a MORS. The other guns just need to be slightly buffed. The BAL isn't really overpowered, the other guns are just weak. Also, SMGs... You should never be able to get outgunned at close range by an AR if you're using an SMG. That's just stupid.

I Prestiged once. Probably won't do it again. The thought of having to unlock attachments again really isn't appealing to me.

EDIT: Just had my highest scoring TDM game so far. Went 45-9. We only just managed to pull off the win. 75-73. My teammates were a bunch of detriments. One of them went 2-14. I think this is my first 40 kill TDM. Now i'll be looking for the 50 kill game.

Decided i might as well try and go for max prestige despite what i said earlier. Unlocking the attachments i use really isn't that hard. I actually managed to unlock Stock, Quickdraw, Extended Clip and Grip in about 5 or 6 games. And i'm pretty much just going to stick to the BAL from now on. No other gun is really worth using. Even the AK is weak in comparison. 

Anyone try out the Ranked Playlist yet?

I tried it out yesterday and to be honest... it wasn't the greatest.

You can get put in games already in progress. My first game i was put in a game of SnD on Detroit with my team leading 5-4. My second game was CTF of Recovery. The enemy team all quit out after we got 2 caps in the first minute. My third game was Uplink on Detroit. This game actually was actually the first decent game i had, except i was on a 1-bar and ended up feeding the enemy team kills. Forth game was momentum on Riot. Again, decent game. Started out 0-9 but then pulled it back and dropped 45-ish kills with 30-ish deaths to get the win in overtimes. I was actually on a team with a two man party, both of whom seemed to be pretty decent. They were on my team during the Uplink game too. Fifth game was Solar Hardpoint. I went off. 30 - 12 playing the OBJ. Was a close game the entire time, till the last 2 hardpoints. I was holding down the OBJ and started slaying like a boss. Anyway, won 5 of the 5 games i played. Got put into the second division, but it didn't feel anything like BO2 League Play.

You can use scorestreaks (even the UAV). Some of the maps are complete ass. Some of the allowed equipment/exo abilities/attachments/streaks need to be banned. Hopefully, once E-sports rules are better defined, the Ranked Playlist will be a bit more ironed out. Right now though it's basically just 4v4 pubs.

Hmm shove new people into a (multiplayer) game with progress midway through.  What could ever go wrong?  I don't play these games but o.O.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

To anyone that hasn't bought AW, or is still on the fence, i'd hold off on buying it for now. Game has been out ~3 weeks now and has more problems than probably any CoD i've ever played. Granted, i've never played a CoD on or close to release, but i'm sure that shouldn't be an excuse for some of the issues AW currently has.

First off, the connection. Something that after 6 or 7 years of producing a new game annually should not be an issue anymore. But it seems like AW is suffering more than any of its predecessors. Currently, it's impossible for me to find a game where i have either a 3 bar or 4 bar. All of my games are either 1 bar or 2 bar. This is not an exaggeration. Since the latest patch (i think it was on the 21st of Nov) i have yet to join a game that had a "decent" connection. I can say with certainty that it has nothing to do with my internet, as MW3 and BO2 are both running just fine. I think it's because of Skill Based Matchmaking, which exclusively matches me with American and British lobbies (US lobbies being the majority). So for anyone living outside the UK, the US, and the EU, be prepared. 

Secondly, the gun balance. It's almost expected by now that there are going to be a select few guns that are going to be better than any of the other guns. The AN94, M8A1, MSMC, and Scorpion from BO2 are decent examples. The ACR and MP7 from MW3. But in both those games, on a non competitive level, you could still compete with people using those guns if you weren't. They were noticeably better, but not to the point where they should be considered "overpowered". In AW gun balance does not exist. The BAL is the first weapon you get, and the only weapon you'll ever need. It outguns any other weapon, at any range (except perhaps a shotgun at barrel-stuffing range). The AK is a decent option, but it quickly becomes inferior at longer ranges. The MK14 is a complete joke. It has a similar 3 hit kill range as a pistol, at longer ranges it takes up to 4 hits to kill (if i remember correctly), and it has terrible recoil. Both of the burst weapons have potential, but without a good connection it's going to take you 4 or 5 bursts to kill someone.

SMGs are fairly useless. They're easily outclassed by the BAL. Shotguns are useless. They have terrible range, and the pellet spread is crazy. At close range it can easily take you 2 or 3 shots with the Bulldog to kill someone. The clip is tiny, so it's fairly difficult to kill more than one person per clip unless they're onto of each other. Unlocking extended mags requires 25 double kills, and getting a double kill in AW is probably harder than it has been in any previous CoD. Even MW3 allows for a bigger gap between kills.

The snipers are still as annoying as they have been in previous games. Quickscoping is not dead. With the amount of snipers i find in lobbies, it's still well and truly alive. Once you are comfortable with the new movements, it's no harder than it was in previous games.

I haven't used the LMGs too much, but they seem pretty irrelevant as well aside from the EM1.

After the latest patch there have been rumours going around that the EM1 was buffed (along with the BAL being nerfed in terms of recoil). I didn't use the EM1 pre-patch, but i can confirm that right now it melts.  So i have to take back what i said about the BAL previously. It's probably not the best gun right now, but it's without a doubt second to the EM1. So your lobby is likely to be filled with people using either the BAL or EM1. It makes for an extremely dull killfeed.

The perks all seem fairly alright, with Low Profile probably being the only one i can say is "broken". They went back the the BO1 style of Ghost (the non-pro version of the perk), making it a perfect choice for anyone who enjoys sitting in the corner of a map with a silenced weapon getting themselves 3 or 4 kills a game. Couple it with Cold Blooded and Blind Eye, and you're set. Hardline seems fairly useless. Blast Suppressor is probably the only "must have" perk. Without it you'll get punished for using your Exo Abilities. Seems kind of stupid punishing players who choose to use new mechanics. I can't really make sense of it.

The scorestreaks are a letdown. The ability to customize them is pretty cool, but in order for you to make them actually viable, you need to customize to to the point where getting them becomes nearly impossible. Using the Paladin as an example, the only way i can see it being useful as a "high end killstreak" would be to use 3 customization with it putting it at 1650 points to get. In TDM it means going on a 17 gunstreak or a 16 killstreak with 2 assists. In objective game modes it will take you a 33 gunstreak assuming you're not playing the objective. Killing enemies on the objective will obviously reduce the amount of kills needed, but i can't see myself going on a ~15 gunstreak WHILE playing the objective. The Bombing Run is probably the best streak right now, but it's nowhere near as good as the Stealth Bomber from MW3. If you're lucky you'll get 3 or 4 kills with it. The radius on it seems pretty small, and if you're using Flak Jacket it's pretty likely you won't die from it.

Currently i'm using a UAV with Extra Time, Threat Detection and Support (which seems to work alright), Bombing Run, and a Care Package with Trap, Double Tap and Support (which seems to work alright too). Nothing else seems forth using unless you customize it to the point where you need to go on crazy gunstreaks to get them.

The game types and maps are all fairly solid. Although some of the maps would be considered big compared to previous CoD games, their size works perfectly with the Exo Movements. I was on the fence about some of the maps in the beginning, but once you get the hang of them i don't think you can really say any of them are really bad. Recovery might be the only exception, but that's only after the map changes.

Momentum is a really fun game type, assuming you're not being spawn trapped. It's the new Demolition. If you lose map control, you're going to get spawn trapped. And i don't mean spawn trapped like Nuketown on BO2 where you at least have a chance of "escaping". I mean Birdman style spawn trapping, where you'll spawn melee distance from someone sitting right behind you killing you before you can even take a step. Probably half of the Momentum games i've joined the past week have been like this. It's a game type that can either be a lot of fun, or cause unimaginable amounts of frustration. Recovery and Detroit are probably the two worst maps for this. I'm hoping that a future patch might force you to spawn on the opposite side of the map in situations like these. Even if you end up losing the game, at least you don't have to die 40 times to some [wagon].

Uplink seems like a glorified 1-Flag CTF. It's alright. It's pretty fun. I just see no reason why it should ever be used in competitive.

With all of that said, i believe that AW can be a great game if and when all the issues are ironed out. Sledgehammer managed to bring something new and exciting to the table. Something that actually works. Something that gives CoD a new twist without changing it completely, without making it feel like it's no longer Call of Duty. But all the above mentioned issues make it near impossible to have an enjoyable experience right now.

For reference, i'm playing on the 360 and i do live in the middle of nowhere (although location should never be a major issue). I have been toying with the idea of getting an Xbox One, but since CoD is 50% of the reason i wanted to "upgrade" i'm a bit hesitant. I'm not sure whether or not these issues exist on the new consoles (i'm sure to a certain degree they will), so it makes no sense to spend another $50 on the same broken game. 

EDIT: I actually forgot to mention something else. It's become so common that i started thinking it was an intentional feature. Anyway... Map glitches. At least 4 of the maps currently have a certain wall you can glitch into. You usually can't be seen from the outside, although you can perfectly see anyone that passes by (and obviously kill them). It's become so popular that i'll often just back out of a lobby when certain maps are selected. I've played in lobbies where parties of 4+ people would run to this spot right from the start, and camp there the entire game. A few days ago i had this happen during a game of TDM. We were playing on Comeback. 6 man party ran to the spot off spawn, sat there the entire duration of the game. When they died, they would run back. The game lasted the entire 10 minutes with neither team scoring more than 40 kills iirc.

The nerfs and buffs have only been put in for the old consoles, not the One and the PS4, I don't know what they're waiting for, but we had all the other bug fixes. I've yet to see glitches on the One other than the door in the map "Horizon". I agree about the connection issues but since the patch they have been fixed for me. What they do though is they check for skill then ping/connection, while what they should do to optimize connections for everyone while still getting their goal of skill based matchmaking is they should check for connection then skill.

I think most of the glitch problems (breaching as it's apparently called) is on old gen consoles due to bad porting. I didn't realise till yesterday when i was watching MLG Columbus, but the Xbox One version looks soooooooo much different from the 360 version. Small details here and there, but they make the maps look almost entirely different. I don't know if this was the same on Ghosts too. But it kind of feels like different generations are playing different games right now. The 360 and PS3 also has a patch the 1/Ps4 doesnt have yet. A patch that buffed the EM1 and slightly nerfed the BAL (increased recoils slightly, recuded effectiveness of Foregrip). So right now it looks like a Rave concert with the amount of lasers on the map. Also, from what i've heard Sledgehammer isn't doing the patches for old gen themselves. A company named High Noon or High Moon or something or the sorts is doing it, and from what i've heard they haven't been apart of any other major games in the past.

But i mean i guess i'll have to just take a risk and get it on the Xbox One and see how it is. Can't really be much worse than it is on 360.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things have been going pretty damn good the past 2 days. It took me about a month to get my first 30 killstreak, and not i managed to get 2 in two days. One of them on one of the new DLC maps (Sideshow) in Hardpoint. Ironically the other one was Hardpoint too. Pretty much started using my head and started milking the hills. Easy points, easy streaks.