GM foods!

soulman01

I mean transfering food ACROSS SEAS to people in say, Africa. Even if it wouldn't cost millions of dollars just to ship food across the ocean, how would the food get distributed to the homeless people in Africa? It is a DEVLOPING country, and a lot of places there don't even have roads. How do you expect the trucks to distribute the food to these places in the middle of no where?

For a start, Africa is a continent, not a country. Less than a few hours by ship from Southern Europe. There are over 60 countries and dependent nations in Africa. Some of which are "developing" countries. Some of which are quite wealthy and most are somewhere in between or a mixture of the two. And I can assure you that, although - just like in the USA - there are places in Africa that don't have roads (my back yard doesn't have a road either) there are more than enough roads to get trucks to every village.

Just think about how much it would cost though. It's not exactly cheap to A. put the food onto ships B. the fuel/crew costs of moving a ship across an ocean C. unloading the food D. somehow distributing the food.

Which is exactly the point I'm making. You (and far too many others) think it's better to save a few million dollars than to feed a few million people.

It just doesn't make sense. Do you get where I am going? I should have clarified, but I thought it was already known we were talking about Africa. My apologies.

I thought we were talking about GM foods as a possible solution to world hunger. Africa is not the only place in the world where people don't have enough to eat.

siganizq4.gif

For a start, Africa is a continent, not a country. Less than a few hours by ship from Southern Europe. There are over 60 countries and dependent nations in Africa. Some of which are "developing" countries. Some of which are quite wealthy and most are somewhere in between or a mixture of the two. And I can assure you that, although - just like in the USA - there are places in Africa that don't have roads (my back yard doesn't have a road either) there are more than enough roads to get trucks to every village.

Which is exactly the point I'm making. You (and far too many others) think it's better to save a few million dollars than to feed a few million people.

I thought we were talking about GM foods as a possible solution to world hunger. Africa is not the only place in the world where people don't have enough to eat.

Yes I know it's a continent, excuse me for making a mistake. I think you might be taking my posts the wrong way, like I'm flaming you. But I'm not, just to clear that up. If there are enough roads to get to all of these villages, which can't really be proven, there probably aren't nearly enough trucks or truck drivers that can distribute the food all through out the continent. It would take many years to get food to all of the places that need it, and by the time all the food was distributed, they might need food again. Instead of just giving them food, they should recieve the means of making their own food. Kind of like that saying about instead of giving someone a fish, teach them how to fish because that will last them a lifetime, or something along those lines. Also, what do you mean by "my backyard doesn't have a road either"? I don't know many people that have roads connected to their backyards.

I never said I believed that, but I guess you are right. I can't even estimate close to how much money it would cost in materials like fuel, and salaries to pay those who drive the ships/trucks, but it more than likely would cost up to hundreds of millions of dollars. And this is another argument all together, but is it our responsibility to get food to these other nations? I would argue it isn't our job to feed every single starving village in the whole entire world. If anything we should teach their government to be able to help these starving villages. If we are talking about places in the U.S, or wherever else you guys live, then I think that our government SHOULD get the food to these people, even if it costs millions of dollars(no where near as much as it would cost to ship food overseas).

The reason I brought up Africa I guess is that on the first page most of the people that posted were bringing up Africa, so I figured it would be good to continue on the subject of Africa. As for world hunger, I think it's the responsibilty of each countries' government to take care of their hungry citizens. Does that mean we can't try to help these other nations? No, but we don't need to feel obliged to feed the whole world.

By the way, sorry that this is kind of off the main subject of GM crops. Maybe we should just make a new topic debating if it's the responsibilty of the "developed" nations to address the issue of world hunger.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Of course, this is the ONLY type of evolution out there. Microevolution. Macroevolution has already been debated, so let's not go there.

Macroevolution = microevolution + microevolution + microevolution + ... + microevolution

I heard you suck but itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s already been debated so letÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s not go there.

Science can be used for good by creating foods that we want. Adding nutrients to food has been done for a long time. For example spraying gibberllians to grapes to increase their size. I'm not sure about research on Gm foods but it seems safe. You can't really be sure that anything you eat is really "safe" anyway. I remember a few years ago when they said eating fruits maybe be unsafe for your health or some nonsense like that.

gr454rc.gif

GM foods are perfectly fine. They're only harmful if their DNA is manipulated in a way that the organism creates poisonous substances (which is not the case, or else the FDA would not allow it for human consumption), which in turn would poison you, the consumer.

Think: if you eat an orange, you are literally eating its DNA. Will it harm you? No. What about a hamburger? Are GE foods any different?

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.