Tablet help ><

gandorf_101

hey guys im looking into buying a tablet but im seeking advice from tablet owners..

my question is; today i was lucky enough to try out our schools tablet but i was finding it hard to draw with due to drawing on the pad but the drawing coming up on the screen... this put me off considering its not an interactive display... i was wanting to know does this take time to get used to and is somthing u overcome with practise or is this just a negative to non interactive tablets..?

(note: dont talk to me about interactive tablets becuase i dont have the money to buy one...)

thanks.

?so you need a tablet to draw on?

Ive bought a tablet with 50 A4 papers in it, suits for me :wink:

*? was that an attempt at sarcasm?

do you know what tablets are and are for?

No offcourse that wasnt sarcasm, is there a need for sarcasm on an ordinary question? :roll:

Since no1 posted anything yet, I was just trying to help you. but if you recieve it like that, you dont diserve any help from me.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

?so you need a tablet to draw on?

Ive bought a tablet with 50 A4 papers in it, suits for me :wink:

*? was that an attempt at sarcasm?

do you know what tablets are and are for?

No offcourse that wasnt sarcasm, is there a need for sarcasm on an ordinary question? :roll:

Since no1 posted anything yet, I was just trying to help you. but if you recieve it like that, you dont diserve any help from me.

if i understood what u were trying to tell me, u were saying; dont bother buying a tablet just draw on paper..

the reason for me asking was that sarcasm and did u know what a tablet is even for is because they serve a completely diffrent purpose. :roll:

Using a tablet does take some getting used to. Practice makes perfect as well. When I first started using mine everything was a bit difficult, and over time it became easy as pie.

Hope that helps.

underbannerim0.png

Feel free to use this sig as yours if you like the comic. :D

Help? I'm sorry... But how exactly were you helping him there? Your continued sarcasm is only making matters worse...

As for an answer to your question... Getting used to it isn't hard. Once you're comfortable, it will feel just like drawing. Just takes a bit of practice.

I used to use an old 4x5 WACOM Graphire. Now I use a 6x8 Intuos3. Here's a mini-critique of the two, in my opinion...

Graphire1: (4x5 point of view)

- Light and Portable (especially the wireless Bluetooth)

- Cheaper

- Surface got scratchy and sometimes the pen began to snag (may not be true with newer Graphires)

- The plastic was very cheap, but I'm sure newer Graphires have been improved...

Intuos3: (6x8 point of view)

- Not very portable. Kinda heavy compared to smaller sizes

- Smooth surface, pen flows nicely

- Lots of buttons, very handy. I can create new layers, zoom, scroll, grab colours, etc.. all with the click of a button.

- Nice big area for drawing

- Great sensitivity, cool nibs, cool tilt ability, better accuracy, better resolution, etc.

- In terms of quality, I noticed almost no difference between different tablet sizes

Suggestions:

- Graphire4 (4x8) if you want a nice, easy and inexpensive tablet to start off with.

- Intuos3 (4x8) if you are willing to pay much more for a very decent piece of equipment.

- Graphire4 Bluetooth if you want to pay even more and like to travel (or you just want to keep it in your lap a lot..)

I suggest Intuos3 4x8 unless you can get the Graphire Bluetooth for much cheaper.

Check WACOM's site for more info:

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/index.cfm

thankyou very much venomai for all that info :) very helpful.

i have some more questions now :P umm 1stly im stuck between getting a intuos3 and a graphire4.

but my main problem is the cost of the intuos3 it says $549 AUD (im australian) but is there website the best place to buy it taking into consideration the price and reliablility? is there another place i can get it for a cheaper price but with a bit of reliability? (im talking about the intuos3 6x8" btw :P)

ty

thankyou very much venomai for all that info :) very helpful.

i have some more questions now :P umm 1stly im stuck between getting a intuos3 and a graphire4.

but my main problem is the cost of the intuos3 it says $549 AUD (im australian) but is there website the best place to buy it taking into consideration the price and reliablility? is there another place i can get it for a cheaper price but with a bit of reliability? (im talking about the intuos3 6x8" btw :P)

ty

Well, as I said, getting a smaller size would probably be better. Not only is it cheaper, but also better for moving around, more workspace friendly and virtually no loss in quality. The site says the 4x8 Intuos3 price is estimated at $349.00 AUD, including tax. And the Graphrie4 is around $149.00.

If you're willing to pay the price for an Intuos3 6x8 and you really want it, I'd say go for it. And if you want something cheaper, I'd suggest the Intuos 4x8.

Cheaper than that would be Graphires, and if you are looking for even cheaper tablets, you can probably find very inexpensive older Graphires from some sort of second-hand store. You can even look into different manufacturors, I'm sure there are plenty good ones out there.

As for where to buy it, I wouldn't suggest the net. I was lucky enough to find a never-before-been-used Intuos3 from a small computer store near me, and it was very cheap compared to the site. I'd only get it online if it's a last resort. If you look around, you should be able to find better deals near you.

You can also check out the "Store Locator" at the very bottom of their Prices page.

http://www.wacom.com.au/price/price.php

thanks so much for the help, i feel more confident about buying a tablet now :) Im thinking i will get the intuos 4x8

i will search around my area for some cheaper prices

but again ty vvm for your help :)

The graphire is really pretty good, and a lot cheaper. My wife uses it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't support tilt, which I got used to with my intuos1.

It also has half the levels of pressure, but that part I don't notice at all.

The pen is a bit cheaper feeling ,but has never broken really. And as for scratches you can get replacement surfaces. The main thing is to replace your nibs before they get to be so nasty that they scratch.

To me the best deal is to look for shops that still have an intuos 2. They are not that much different, still a pro tool, and cheaper. I use an intuos 1 4x5 and love it.

Yes, you do get used to drawing in one place and looking in the other. It just happens with practice.

As for interactive...Cintiques are very expensive, so you are right, they wouldn't be helpful. But if you are planning on buying a laptop anytime soon a tablet pc might be a good way to go as most of them use wacom digitizers.