Problem with CSS (i think?) Websites displaying weird

PDJ

Ok, im visiting my grandparents and I jumped on my grandfather's PC and almost every website i visit looks different.

I *think* the problem is that CSS isn't working properly or not at all, but I don't know enough about that to really know for sure.

Here, for example, is what the tip.it home page looks like here:

tipit1sm.png

Is there some setting that is off and shouldn't be? I don't know how to fix it :x

edit:

some other info mentioned in successive posts, but ill stick it all here:

The problem occurs in both IE6 and a fresh install of Firefox (and even strips the color from Windows Live Messenger windows lol)

PC is running Norton Internet Security 2004, but disabling it does not solve the issue

Pdj.png

[02] -RuneScript- *** [ END ]: You gained 444,384 prayer exp in 5secs. That's 319,956,480 exp/h.

Can't say I use IE enough to tell you how to fix that problem either :-?

Edit: that's quite odd. I wasn't even aware you could disable CSS in IE, and I've been through the settings a lot for it.

What version and is he running a firewall?

IE 6

i quickly installed firefox to see if it had the same problem, and it did... so i uninstalled it shortly thereafter because i don't want to leave a bunch of clutter on this pc...

He is running Norton Internet Security 2004, pretty sure that there is a firewall in there somewhere because it prompted me whether or not to permit FF to access internet after I installed.

edit: just quickly perused the firewall settings and couldn't find anything blatently obvious that would be causing it though. I did however learn that his antivirus hasnt been updated in 19 months and that he has NEVER had it run a full system scan--maybe I should play around with that tomorrow lol.

Pdj.png

[02] -RuneScript- *** [ END ]: You gained 444,384 prayer exp in 5secs. That's 319,956,480 exp/h.

Open up the control panel and head over to internet options. Click on the Advanced tab, and look for "Enable visual styles..." and make sure that is checked. Now head down to HTTP Settings, and make sure you have "Use HTTP 1.1" Checked.

Now look at multimedia, and check everything there.

Thats all i could think of, sorry if it doesnt help.

yourmysin.jpeg

Current Goals

80/80 Fletching

60/75 Woodcutting

97/100 Combat

Open up the control panel and head over to internet options. Click on the Advanced tab, and look for "Enable visual styles..." and make sure that is checked. Now head down to HTTP Settings, and make sure you have "Use HTTP 1.1" Checked.

Now look at multimedia, and check everything there.

Thats all i could think of, sorry if it doesnt help.

all already checked

Pdj.png

It seems to be a common problem with Nortons Adblocking methods, as the CSS and Jscripts for tipit are stored in external files

try this

1. Open your Norton software.

2. Highlight 'Ad Blocking,' and select 'Configure.'

3. Click 'Advanced.'

4. Click 'Web Contents,' and select 'Add Site.'

5. Enter 'tip.it.'

6. Click the 'User Settings' tab, and uncheck 'Use Ad Blocking settings.'

7. Select 'Permit.'

Seems to have solved the problems of images and CSS being blocked for other users of NIS on the net ... worth a shot I guess

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

completely disabling Norton doesn't solve it = not norton

Pdj.png

Some of the google results I was reading said that it would block images that were contained in folders named "banners" or "ads" due to just the names lol

As the css for the main site does contain the word "ads" here and there using the Z-index for positioning purposes , I figured it was worth a shot hehe

PDJ already told me it didnt work though :(

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Ok, i have one more idea, but it wont fix the problem.

Load a different website, that you think uses CSS too. if the site loads properly, Open up the source and see if you find "

yourmysin.jpeg

Current Goals

80/80 Fletching

60/75 Woodcutting

97/100 Combat

Ok, i have one more idea, but it wont fix the problem.

Load a different website, that you think uses CSS too. if the site loads properly, Open up the source and see if you find "

tried 3 diff websites that hadn't been working, tip.it, expedia.com, and lconnect.wit.edu (my brother's school) -- they all include the "

Pdj.png