You learn from your mistakes IRL...

Peronix

Why not RuneScape? It has always kind of bothered me that when you burn food in RuneScape, you get NO experience. Yet, in real life, when you burn somthing, you learn what NOT to do, and you get it right the next time. (most of the time).

So, I have come up with a little system to make the skill of cooking a tad bit more realistic. Now before you say, 'well cooking is already easy enough to train', I'll just say right now, weather or not you get xp from burning wouldn't effect your cooking leveling by much. Since most people use stuff they don't burn (often), anyway. Ok, here is the idea:

There will be three levels of burnt foods: Slightly, normal burnt, and horribly burnt. For slightly burnt, you get half the xp you would for cooking it nicely, and it is edible; but since you burned out a lot of the nutritional value, it only heals half as much. For burnt, you get one third of the xp. Burnt food isn't edible. Horribly burnt food not only isn't edible, but you get NO experience from cooking it, because you obviously didn't know what you were doing when you cooked it, anyway. Horribly burnt is like when you burn somthing so black it more resembles charcoal, than food. At higher levels, you will start burning things badly less often, and eventually, you won't horribly burn anything anymore. Then even higher, you won't burn anything anymore; just slightly burn. And of course, at the standard levels, you won't burn anything anymore altogether.

To make an example, I'll use the shark. The chart below shows about what the levels of burn would look like - aswell as recapping some of the info I just put down in the last paragraph.

sharkburnchartjp7.png

Also, here are some ratios of horribly burn/burn/slightly burn I put together for the shark - with and without gauntlets. Note that you will still burn foods exactly as often as you used to - the ratios are the dividend of the previous odds of burning, to burning them on a certain level. (in 'without gauntlets' I included levels 100-103, to show that at level 99 it is still possible to burn sharks, and what level you would need for a natural-no burn).

Without Cooking Gauntlets

80: 2-1-0

81: 2-1-1

82: 3-2-2

83: 1-1-1

84: 2-3-2

85: 2-4-3

86: 1-4-3

87: 1-5-4

88: 0-5-4

89: 0-1-1

90: 0-4-5

91: 0-3-5

92: 0-2-4

93: 0-2-5

94: 0-1-3

95: 0-1-4

96-102: 0-0-1

103: 0-0-0

With Cooking Gauntlets

80: 0-4-4

81: 0-4-5

82: 0-3-5

83: 0-2-5

84: 0-1-3

85: 0-1-4

86-93: 0-0-1

94: 0-0-0

This could apply to other skills with success/fail rates too, except where skill obviously wouldn't have a bearing. Like failing to smelt iron; if the iron is too impure there, nothing you could (hypothetically) have done about it.

Ok, so that's basically it. If you don't like it, it dosen't really matter, because the chances of Jagex actually implementing anything from the Tip.it forms is slim anyway. You know, like how they choose to ignore the bank organization thing? Alrightie, discuss.

Not a bad idea. I've often wondered the same thing myself - burning should give some exp too!

Conversely, with this system, I think the exp you do get when successful should probably be a bit less than what it is now.

- Sligo

MySig.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize tht what you heard is not what I meant.

lol, fair point...

I could see me cooking lvl rocket by failing to cook swordfish all the tmie, and burning it loads! The current experience for this method would have to be changed, as otherwise people would start using this as a very very quick way to train cooking... wheras now, there are two lvls was you've cooked it, burnt and cooked. You get plenty of experience... I don't know, but what I do know is that Jagex won't change it anyway... Like F2P Bank Space, Friends list/Bank Organisation/1 milion other decent ideas that would make more people play runescape....

If we're going along this line does this mean that we will need less coal in smelting, because we've learnt how to smelt better? Or will Runite still need 8 coal, and only 3 bars per inventory...

Oak Logs, Normal logs for sale in small amounts of up to 200... just pm me and place an order today!!!

newscapere4.gif

lol, fair point...

I could see me cooking lvl rocket by failing to cook swordfish all the tmie, and burning it loads! The current experience for this method would have to be changed, as otherwise people would start using this as a very very quick way to train cooking... wheras now, there are two lvls was you've cooked it, burnt and cooked. You get plenty of experience... I don't know, but what I do know is that Jagex won't change it anyway... Like F2P Bank Space, Friends list/Bank Organisation/1 milion other decent ideas that would make more people play runescape....

If we're going along this line does this mean that we will need less coal in smelting, because we've learnt how to smelt better? Or will Runite still need 8 coal, and only 3 bars per inventory...

I don't see how purposely trying to burn somthing would make your level rocket... when you would obviously get more xp from cooking somthing that you don't burn. It's HALF of that food's xp for slightly burnt, one THIRD the xp for burnt, and NO xp for horribly burnt. At the levels you burn things alot, you would burn and horribly burn it most of the time, giving little xp for burning. A little higher, and you'd still be getting 1/3 xp most of the time for burning.

And no, there is no way you would need less coal... runite needs to be heated to a certain temperature to turn to liquid form, therefore it will take 8 lumps of coal no matter how good you are at smithing. And we have a better way of smithing that takes less coal, it's the blast furnace. Granted, yes, it is a lot more complicated to operate.

i guess it makes sense but i'm not sure i agree, I like, "you burn it or u cook it...When i first started out i wanted to train defence, but was baffled why u didn't get exp for BLOCKING the shot, but hitting.... :oops:

not much to say as far as this thread goes cept i would like to see this. But would that mean you burn (at any magnitude) more often?

Or is it just a safety net for when you didnt get it perfect.

You would have to throw out the slightly burnt ones probably cuz they dont heal as much, i.e spaghetti thats overcooked and falls apart doesnt heal as much for me IRL #-o

runscapecv2.png

The rune merching business is dead. R.I.P