Slooooooow Internet.

Faux

My normal speed is about 1.5mbps. Now, I'm down to 36 kbps. I contacted the ISP at least 5 times about this, and they can't come up with anything. They said it's fine on their end, so I guess it's my computer's fault. But the thing is, when my connection got crappy 2 weeks ago, the night before, it was working perfectly.

Before we switch ISPs, I Just want to make sure there's nothing on my comp. that is slowing down the Internet.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 7:43:15 AM, on 10/29/2006

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\AllChars\AllChars[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\Type32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt[Caution: ExecutableFile]

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_wave/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = 

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = 

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - Startup: AllChars.lnk = C:\Program Files\AllChars\AllChars[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Keyboard.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\dplaunch[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL[Caution: ExecutableFile]/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Link Target in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\xp\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g3ju9ysv.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewlink.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: View This Page in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\xp\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g3ju9ysv.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewpage.html

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownload/dist/hgstart/HGPlugin9USA.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AE197459-4F8D-4E0B-A00A-1CC4721BCCCC}: NameServer = 67.69.184.227 67.69.184.75

O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)

O18 - Protocol: talkto - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll

Thanks.

I no it sounds stupid but if your using a router, try turning it off and all the computers for about 10-20mins and on again. Also turn of your modem. If my internet ever slows this usually fixs it, don't no why though.

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

What kind of internet are you using? DSL or cable? It could be that either they moved their servers, or someone else is hogging all the bandwidth with a torrent or P2P client... if your using wireless internet, make sure no jerk is connected to it.

Otherwise, double check you have no spyware, your HJT files looks clean besides unnesesessaeries.... and the only other thing I could think of is if you downloaded too much your ISP may have put a cap on your download speed?

Speedtest.net

what are your results from there?

I have DSL.

I don't have a router.

I only have one computer connected.

I did the bandwidth test in speakeasy.net/speedtest and when it does go through (sometimes, it just stays on the loading part), I got 36 kbps down and 400 kbps up.

I already contacted them at least 5 times like I said, but they said they don't have a problem on their end. I also have to connect and disconnect constantly the ethernet cable before I can get the connection. I also ran Spybot and Ad-Aware already, and got nothing.

I cannot remember if it was verizon or comcast that had a recent change in (at least) the new england region [usa] which they send letters of notification around last july and would affect certain users after late august with period of down time, unless they changed their settings on this and this (according to procedure on the letter or on the letter's link)

Me, i was changing anyway next month isp's so i didnt bother.

The first few times that I called, they said that they are receving slow connection from mine. They said 'they'll fix it' and the last time I called, the guy said that it was my end that has problems. And even so, they *should* have sent a technician by now.

My ISP is Sympatico. And yeah, I already tested that Cameron, still didn't work.

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted here for taking the time to do so.

And I want to say sorry for bothering as well. It turned out it was their end who were having problems as when I turned on my comp after school,

speeeeeeeedea1.png

It's not as fast as before, but much much better than the 36kbps I was getting.

Cool :-), thanks for the speedtest link too. Perhaps offtopic perhaps but i noticed my results aren't directly propertionate to yours. While i can't complain with...

Last Result:

Download Speed: 5074 kbps (634.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1665 kbps (208.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Still, I'm running 100mbs+ (limited only by my cable) and am 5ish times faster. I'm still very happy, but noticed it isn't direct.