A Guide To Starting A Clan (Updated 30 April 2005)

blizzard227

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good guide, it has helped me with my clan (my first clan back when I was a noob failed, so I did "research" by joining various clans and seeing what made them good, and reading this guide).

Anyways, onto what I think should be added to the guide:

There is also the question that almost every members clan gets to at a certain point:

To be rsb or not to be rsb (runescape official forums):

Increasingly often, there will be a guy who joins your clan just to get "free armour" or "ch33p st00f". Increasingly often its harder to find these freeloaders until later on.

I personally, having created a clan based on skills and helping each other with our skills to raise eachother up in general, can affirm that there are a number of people out there who ask "What can this clan do for me?" instead of "What can I do for this clan, and what will I get in return for it?".

I must say I was very lucky to find a good memberbase of people who were the second kind before the first kind started to come in.

Now, we have had several of them, one who made off with 300k of items from one of our more trusting members.

Now, this problem could be solved by going non-rsb. That would keep the majority of freeloaders out of our clan. It would also reduce the number of people who would join our clan in the first place. This would be a mixed blessing.

Some thoughts by my clanmembers on this subject-we are currently deciding wiether to be rsb or not.

Note that I've removed mentions of my clanmembers.

"Althought i always thought, if they were smart enough to find our thread, they be great for clan. I was partially wrong because I am recruited some really immature people before but luckily none of them are part of clan anymore. Some great members that were recruited through the rsb was **********, was and still our "highest" level."

"We have lots of great members through the recruitment thread but as ****** have stated, most of our other great members were recruited through friends telling friends. If we are to stop using the rsb, we can have recruitment drives in game..."

"I just don't think many people look for a clan that will suit them. Instead they pick what they feel is a clan they can get use out of."

"sounds good to me i recrute people in rl all the time but something to remeber i was recruted by rsb"

"So my point here is that I don't mind leaving the rsb and I think recruiting people through friends would promote more loyatly and trust. BUT save the clan thread just in case we return to the rsb someday"

"This would greatly reduce the need for member sweeps, and would also make sure that only members who we could count on as a clan could join. There are some disreputable runescapians out there who would gladly take all we could give and not pay us back. I know I dont put anything about that on the recruitment thread, but it might just be best to recruit by invite instead of having posted an application on our boards."

And my statement to the clan:

So, what are your thoughts on the matter? This would be a great leap for the clan-from rsb to non-rsb. It WOULD mean less new members. It wouldn't mean that there would be no new members, it would just be a predicate that they have to be recommended by one of our current members.

Also, if we did this then the combat level prerequisite would be removed, in favor of a "level recommendation" for certain events. Having a level recommendation would make it much easier-there are quite a few good people lower then combat 80. This would also allow for us to do more dangerous events-daganoth kings come to mind.

--------------------------------------

So, pros and cons are listed there. The major con is less incoming members, the major pro is less freeloaders and more activity.

I would at least like to see a mention of runescape official forums in this-they are a major part of many clans these days. Prehaps an objective look at the pros and cons of them in the guide.

Just my thoughts on it.

Edited to add:

6. Ranks are not the best way to go in all cases. Having some distinction, like leaders and villagers, is necessary, but making it so the ranks are more powerful than the last is plain stupid.People want to feel like they have power over the decisions made, but too much power makes them crazy.

I personally did this-mainly because I was too lazy to set up ranks and powers, esspecially with the small member base that I started with. There's the main member base, which are differentiated into squads, then theres the council (we origionally tried to have a representative from each group of combat levels, but that didnt work out because people started training :P). Then theres the leaders.

I find this works better then what I had been planning on-less decisions on promotions, which allows more time for discussion of changes or problems in the clan :)

What I had been planning on was a 4 tier pyramid, but this works better for non pking clans anyways :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I read it all and it's mega detailed... You helped me alot! I recently created a clan and it's going very fine (after 1 week 8 members already)

I learned a lot from this and I will be using this in the future!

8)

Thanks!

Wouwousoft :wink:

041106vectorstyleic2.gif

• 1 month later...

invisionfree.com isn't the best , http://forumer.com offers much more than invision free , it offers both ipb , and phpbb2 boards , and both have a user friendly interface unlike invisionfree.

http://worldofghosts.co.uk

- ghost/paranormal site

http://extreme-mobile.com - mobile phone website , support and chat

http://top92.net - fast submission directory

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...