A Guide To Starting A Clan (Updated 30 April 2005)

blizzard227

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the part where you said something about taking a break from reading and let it sink in.

A clan is very similar to running a guild. I have led a guild for over 3 years on another site. My guild on that other site has to do with merchanting, or buying and selling, something that is common on Runescape as well.

My advice to anyone running a clan or guild:

Set up some core values. Let others know what you stand for and will not stand for. Don't boss people around, the greatest leaders are those who are willing to do the menial tasks and help others with answering questions or showing how to do things, or basically help others get to the level you are at now, or at least take some steps toward achieving some things you already have done. A leader also knows when to let others teach them something, or let others help with some responsibilities. Leaders don't have to be the best at all things or even anything, but they do have to be good listeners, good at answering questions, be able to recognize abilities in others, and have infinite patience and tolerance of noobishness, never forgetting what it was like being new themselves.

Great job on the guide. You can always do a version 1.5 or 2.0, there is always more that could be added, but never forget the old axiom, often less is more. People can figure out the details of the rest on their own and through experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a good effort on that guide, I'd agree in principle with many things, however how you go about setting up and organising your clan depends entirely on what type of clan you intend to run.

For example, when I was running CIARS, it had an extremely unique organisation and running system based on what it did.

My other piece of advice is delegate delegate delegate, if you have clan members, use them, dont put too much pressure on yourself or you can and probably will burn out.

Warm Cow

Director, CIARS

Ex Intelligence Advisor to 'The'

Ex Intelligence Advisor to RN

Thank you all for the comments and advice. :) I will be doing a revamp of this guide sometime over Thanksgiving break as it's got some things in it that are a bit outdated/pieces of advice that...well, aren't very good/useful.

So just keep posting comments and advice and I'll consider what's best and include it in the revamp of the guide (with credit of course). :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

woah.....dat wuz like da best thing i hav evr read.dat gave me sum hints dat i am goin 2 do now.even tho my clan is really good & i hav had it since 10-25-02 i stil lernd ALOT of stuf from dis guide.i cant xplain how much i luvd dis guide.....all i can say now is WOW......VERY NICE JOB! :!: !! :!: !! :!: !! :!: !! :D :D

P.S. if u wanna noe da name of my clan & stuf heres my info:

name: *-P.K.Masters-*

name abreviation: *-P.K.M-*

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lol...before i came to this forum one of my friend copied that whole guide and sent it to me in exchange for 300 big bones. BUT luckily i did not pay him, and he's still asking for it lol. Anyway i MUST say that this guide ROX!!! Oh yea, wat's the difference between guild and clan?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Befor i read this guide i was seriousley considering starting my own clan, after being a short term member in 3 or 4 different ones. Now i have read it it has helped me allot and my ideas are booming, whilst i understand this will form the basis of my clan it will work upwards eventualy. This guide has inspired me to carry on and enjoy the chalenge, i am now hopeing to start advertiseing for my clan at the begiging of next month after i train my combat a bit more and discuss clan co-leadership with my friends, Thanks for the guide it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've edited my guide again. I fixed numerous spelling and grammatical errors (ie. Run-on sentences), removed out-of-date advice, added some new tips and cut down on verbosity. I can't even believe how many run-on sentences there were. :oops: Hopefully the guide will be easier to read.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...