A Guide To Starting A Clan (Updated 30 April 2005)

blizzard227

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I GOTTA SAY IVE NEVER SEEN A MEMBER PUT SO MUCH DETAIL IN THAT KIND OF THING..... AWESOME JOB!!!

IF THERE COULD BE A RATING ID GIVE THAT A 10!!! THAT WAS AWESOME VERY GOOD JOB... LOL CANT GET OVER HOW GOOD THAT WAS

PEACE OUT

• 2 weeks later...

Cgirl60 and Panda884 have started a skill based clan for 20+.

Its called Panda and Cgirl's sklb clan!! :P

We are high lvls who want to help people in need of different skills!!

We are looking for people who can cook,fish,and mine.

We have drop parties in non-members world every month.

This is a non-member and member clan.

We are looking forwaord to new member of our clan.

Please contact Panda884 or Cgirl60 anytime we are on rs.

Thank you and we wish u a happy holiday!! :D

"a friend who helps is a friend in deed"

• 2 weeks later...

as blizzard said to join the best clan in your league if your not all that good feel free to join el diablo we except ppl lev 15 up and do not often fight so we just make money for weapons for fights at the moment....just contact me , da dark hood

oh and congrats on the guide most people try to set up clans luckily my clan made it past the 10 person line well not my clan but im stonger than the leader so hah!

• 2 weeks later...

Well written guide, but some people (not me) might want a bit of info on skill based clans or something. Anyways, as my sig suggests, I run a player-owned village (they're becoming popular on the RS events forum), and would like to offer some advice to anyone who wants to start their own village. Use this if you want or completely ignore me, I don't care.

I. Starting up!

So you've made the decision to start a village, but they are different than a clan. You need land, a stable type of government (PV has a Republic/Democracy based government), some type of defense (to protect your village) and villagers.

II. Land Info.

Basically you need a place to be based out of like an area or city. I started out near the Temple of Ikov, and branched from there out. Starting land isn't too hard to get, just choose somewhere no one else has and start your village. It is best to not start conquering until you have a lot of villagers in a small area, otherwise you have inadequete presentation in the areas (better to be equally dispersed in a smaller area than lost in a huge area!) and will probably be overrun quickly in some areas. If needed, have some one patrol your areas from time to time checking that it hasn't been taken away.

III. Government.

Monarchy, Dictatorship, Republic, Anarchy; all of these are forms of government you can implement into your village. Of course, the people will want a say in the village, so absolute dictatorship or monarchy might not be the best idea, and anarchy never ends well once a large number of people join. The best idea is to base it off of clan leadership, with various leaders to be a governing body, but allow the people to voice their opinions every now and then so they feel more involved. If you want, you can base your government off of my village's as an example (but no spying!!!!). Speaking of spying, spies may be employed by the enemy or random people. Mainly this is the best way to deal with them:

1. If you get suspicious, start investigating.

2. If you find a spy, deal harshly with them. This will hopefully deter future spies and also prove to the spy's employer that you aren't messing around.

3. If you suddenly get people joining that are lvl 3 or are lying about levels, be cautious and don't accept them right away, instead give the a justation period first.

These are useful ways to handle spies, but clever ones probably can find a way around them, just take them out.

IV. Defense

Just as the real nations have defense and armies, you should at least set up a group of guards to protect and keep the peace. However, full-blown armies may be useful in wars, but aren't always patient, so don't set those up till you are ready. Also, don't engage in war too often, allow some time.

>It isn't about fame, fortune, or power, its about fun, happiness, making new friends, and if the others come with, then you have it good.

V. Villagers

As the blood in a person is the source of life, and money is the lifeblood of a business, villagers keep the village alive and strong. Don't beg for them or offer them free things all the time. Play it easy, invite your closest friends first, get set up a bit, and let it grow at its own pace. In fact, some people may never join, but thats just the kind of person they are.

>It is better to have fewer, but closer and more loyal villagers, than to have many villagers who could care less about the village.

Don't force your villagers to participate, they have lives of their own, and their own agenda. Forcing the villagers makes you seem cruel or harsh, and let your villagers move about RS freely, don't bind them to your village's lands.

VI. Random Stuff:

1. Don't be rude with other clans and villages, thats just not smart.

2. Allow your people to express their thoughts, and they will be happier.

3. A website isn't needed, but gives the village a more professional look or just a place to put all your screenshots.

4. Don't limit the village too much. Knowing when to stop is good, but stopping to soon can cause problems.

5. Make sure your leaders are trusted and won't turn on you. Most of my leaders are some people I actually know or have gotten to be great friends with.

6. Ranks are not the best way to go in all cases. Having some distinction, like leaders and villagers, is necessary, but making it so the ranks are more powerful than the last is plain stupid.People want to feel like they have power over the decisions made, but too much power makes them crazy.

7. If some one wants to leave, let them, but be sure that they don't give out any information that could be harmful to you.

8. Allow your villagers to have contact with clans and villages outside your own. This can create strong alliances and even gain more people for your village.

9. Heavy taxes = BAD! Donations = GOOD.

10. Don't focus the village on only money or power, because the leader might just be there to scam the villagers. I only accept donations to the clan bank fund, which is only used for things like war or things that benefit the entire community we have built.

11. Be creative. These are some of the only ways to make something unique. Come up with a unique name, unique village philosophy or basis (if possible) and come up with creative ways to get your village's name out into the public.

12. Listen to the villagers thoughts on past events, and improve upon them. If they like Drop Parties, but would like better things dropped, arrange to bring some nicer drops (not those cheap chisels you brought last time, lol) or to have them less frequently so the villagers have time to prepare. Also give them at least a weeks notice if possible so you can make sure they are ready.

13. Avoid too many leaders for a while. If your whole village is just leaders, then the point is lost. Also, once you get a larger community, allow the villagers to maybe nominate and vote canidates into a leadership postion.

14. Be sure to find a way to bring money to the village bank, through things like trade routes, donations, events, or even war if thats your style.

15. Leaders shouldn't get too much power. This leads to civil wars, power strugles, and grudges within the community.

16. Last but defineately not least: HAVE FUN! RuneScape is a game, and the point of the village is to provide an interesting and new way to enjoy it.

Use this in a guide to making villages or clans, base your future off of my words if you want, critize me, ignore me, join me, the future is in your hands/mouse/keyboard now, so shape it the way you see fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Strength In Numbers: The Clan For All

NO requirements whatsoever! Anyone from experienced level 100+ players to n00bs, no one is discriminated. Just sign up and you're in! We will soon have a website, hosted on the owner's own site (neoawesome.com). Contact the_dude5609 on RuneScape, or [email protected] for email. When the clan is big enough, I will set up a mailing list. Join now!

63cu0k4.png

52788436whatsonthetube.PNG

If you believe you came from monkeys, you probably did.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this whole guide is amazing. I honestly think I am ready to start a clan. I don't like the fast about spies and wars, but that's probably just because I have always been against stuff that are about killing and winning and having to be careful when it comes to trusting people, but I am sure it will work out fine. Thank you, tip.it, for everything you have done to enhance my RS experience. :D