Networking Question (Subnet)

Faux

I really need help with this task.

Design the layout on a Bristol board of a network with a router and subnets. The router of the network has one port for the WAN and enough ports for the subnets of the LAN. The network address assigned to you is a Class C address. Make the necessary calculations with your subnet calculator and allocate the proper IP addresses (if necessary their range), subnet masks and gateway for the router and the hosts. The hosts are one printer and 60 computers for each subnet. You do not have to draw all the hosts, but rather use a rectangle to represent them. You will make up the Class C address. Just make sure you do not use the same Class C address used by another group in your course. Make also sure you do not use IP addresses which not follow proper IP addressing rules.

I have no knowledge of subnets before this task whatsoever (though he did include a simple intro in the guide). Can someone try to explain it and maybe show me a rough sketch of how it would look like in paint? I wouldn't be here asking this, but my teacher isn't going to be on the floor today at all and I want to hand it in by Monday.

Thanks.

Have I misread it or does it not specify how many subnets you have to make?

A class C network is one where you get the first 3 octets as the network number and the final octet as the subnet number. That means that you get 192.168.1 as the network number (for example) and 192.168.1.1-254 as the addresses you can use for the subnet machines. 0 and 255 are generally not used to address individual machines, they are normally broadcast addresses. Likewise, you shouldn't use any host addresses where they are all 1's or all 0's - because then it is the broadcast address for that subnet.

This means that you need to split the last octet up into however many subnets - note that if there's 60 machines on each subnet you can't have more than 4 subnets when using a class C network address - that's because you've only got 254 addresses to work with.

You need then to split the last octet into some subnets. The difficult part isn't laying it out, it's deciding how to specify the subnets numerically. I'm still thinking about it.

Using 192.168.1.0/24 as your network number, you'd need to:

Have these as your subnet numbers:

192.168.1.0/26 - in which you could use host numbers 192.168.1.1-62

192.168.1.64/26 - in which you could use host numbers 192.168.1.65-126

192.168.1.128/26 - in which you could use host numbers 192.168.1.129-190

192.168.1.192/26 - in which you could use host numbers 192.168.1.193-254

Subnet mask will be 255.255.255.192 for all machines.

It's a while since I was taught this so it might be a bit...wrong.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.