Hendrix > Page? Jimmy > Jimi?

Sk4terpunk90

My best friend (doubles as my bands drummer) and I are CONSTANTLY arguing about which guitarist was better overall. I always scream "HENDRIX YOU FOOL" as he cranks up the solo to Stairway to Heaven...

I wanted to hear more peoples opinions on this.

Jimi (Hendrix) pros

Play with his teeth

Played a right handed guitar left handed

Burned his guitar cause he was cool

Lived earlier than page (less technology)

Etc..(many more)

Jimmy (Page) pros

Violin bow soloage

Neater in my opinion

Wrote some truly insane riffs and solos (as did hendrix tho)

Need more pros for jimmy =P

This is one of those never-ending debates that you can never make a decision on.

A lot of people would say Hendrix simply because he's more famous and there's a lot of hype about him, but they don't really realise how innovative he was.

That said, there are far better technical guitarists, and I have other classic rock guitarists that I prefer, it's all down to opinion.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Page and Hendrix have 2 completely different styles of guitarplaying, Hendrix ' songs are always Bluesy and kinda always the same, while Page's were more warm and feel-good kinda stuff. There's really no comparing, allthough I know who's my favorite <3:*points to sig* And btw there's more to Jimmy Page then just the STH solo #-o

On a sidenote, remember that Hendrix busted 2 little girls heads before he died.. :shame: #-o

99 Slayer since August 2007.

Are you serious?... Hendrix. First of all, he taught himself, and first on a guitar that was 5 dollars, with only 1 string on it, because he couldn't afford more. He was also lefty, played a righty guitar, played with his teeth, blah, blah, blah. But cmon, he practically invented a new style of playing guitar. He made so many effects, and he practically invented bending (bending guitar strings). Just listen to his version of the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock.

And also: Contrary to popular belief, Jimi Hendrix did not die of heroine (they tested his blood after he died and found no traces of it), and he actually never even used heroine because he had a fear of needles.

He made so many effects, and he practically invented bending (bending guitar strings).

BULL

DITTO

I have no idea when bending was 'invented' and don't pretend to know, but I'm pretty sure it was red hot during the Jazz age of the 1920's due to the nature of the genre.

Led Zeppelin shoplifted so many melodies and riffs from blues bands of yesteryear it's not funny. Jimi Hendrix is not really brilliant, he's more groundbreaking. Equate it to the Ramones - one of the least-talented bands of all time, and yet the most revered of the genre. It's because they were first. That said, Jimi's Fuzzface sound is awesome!

Either way, I say...

Buck Dharma!

Or Ritchie Blackmore.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

He made so many effects, and he practically invented bending (bending guitar strings).

BULL

DITTO

I have no idea when bending was 'invented' and don't pretend to know, but I'm pretty sure it was red hot during the Jazz age of the 1920's due to the nature of the genre.

There are lots of rumours how it became a popular guitar technique, apparently B.B. King used it a lot to try and get the slide guitar sound used in the Missippi Delta.

I'm guessing string bending is very much rooted in the transfer of the blues further north, Hendrix certainly did not invent it. Don't think jazz players are so hot on bending, but they might well have used it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"