Clan Chat & You

Dominion

Clan Chat

designed: Aug 6 2007, 08:45 PM

updated: Aug 10 2007, 04:02 AM

As many of you may have noticed, on August 6th 2007, there was a new tab added to the game, as well as new button.

Through mastering the simple use of the Clan tab and the Clan chat button, you can bring together far more friends than the maximum 200-limit friends list will allow. Also, you will learn to save time, rather than merely conversing on a single-user basis.

Table of Context

1.1 - Name Choice & Member Database

1.2 - Getting Started

1.3 - Setting Permissions

1.4 - Setting Ranks

1.5 - Using Your Channel

1.6 - Handling Offensive Users

1.7 - The Ranking System

1.8 - Adding Members Made Easy

1.9 - Credits and Disclaimer

1. 1.1 - Name Choice & Member Database

[*:zb8vrqlx]When creating a clan, it is best to create a side account, for the sole purpose of clan member databasing and ranking. Each of us have personal friends, of whom are not similar to the members of our group/clan. Or we hay have personal problems getting along with a particular member of the group. And for that, we might remove or ignore list users, whom have not committed a rule offense of our clan/community.

It is, to this end, best to keep a separate database for ranking and cataloging of our total members. NOTE: The maximum limit of friends or ignore tab is only 200 account names. We can only set rank for 200 maximum players (including those whom help us manage our chat channel (if "power" is set for a certain rank -- explained later in this guide). We can only use the ignore tab to ban a maximum limit of 200 abusive players (apart from the "permissions," explained later in this guide).

[*:zb8vrqlx]Perhaps you already have a name in mind. For others, you may already have something which is regarded by Rule 11 as a "fan site" or "clan site." We do not condone the use/mention of fan websites nor clan websites, as they will lead to permanent baning through RuneScape, if mentioned within the game servers.

The best option would be to check the availability status of this name (or abbreviation) within the game itself. NOTE: Under Rule 6, this account may not be used by more than the owner of the account. Be sure the name you make will be used on a daily/weekly basis, before designing it. Under Rule 8, more than one account name is permitted, so long as not more than one account owned by you is online at a time.

1.2 - Getting Started

[*:zb8vrqlx]clan_tab-1.png Begin by clicking the tab labeled with 2 smily-faces button. This is the "clan" tab.

clan_tab.png

[*:zb8vrqlx]From the clan chat tab, we have two options. A button for "Join Clan" and a button for "Clan Setup." Let us continue, by clicking "Clan Setup."

clan_channel.png

[*:zb8vrqlx]You will be presented with many options. Click the button for "Clan Name," and type a name for your clan. NOTE: If this is too long, or appears offensive to JaGeX Ltd, it will be shortened as necessary.

clan_setup.png

1.3 - Setting Permissions

[*:zb8vrqlx]Next, right-click on the button for "Who can enter chat?" From here, you can decide which rank (or any rank, or friends-only) is permitted access to your chat.

[*:zb8vrqlx]Right-click the button for "Who can talk on chat?" Choose which rank (or any rank, or friends-only) is permitted talk in your channel.

[*:zb8vrqlx]Right-click the button for "Who can kick on chat?" Decide which rank (or anyone, or friends-only) is permitted kick users out of your channel. NOTE: Choose wisely! Once a user has been kicked, s/he may not re-enter the channel, until 1 hour has passed.

1.4 - Setting the Ranks

[*:zb8vrqlx]Once this is complete, you may begin assigning ranks to your friends list. Review your friends list to the right. Right-click each user's name, if you wish to set them with a rank in your channel. NOTE: Names at the top are currently online. Names nearer the bottom are currently off-line.

[*:zb8vrqlx]Click on the "x" to exit this menu, once done. You will return to the "clan" tab. From here, click on the button to "Join Clan." And type the channel owner's name (which just so happens to be your game name).

1.5 - Using Your Channel

[*:zb8vrqlx]Once at your clan channel, you will notice many a thing. Among them are the members using your channel, each user's ranking within your clan, the name of your clan, the clan leader's name, and the server in which each clan member is using.

clan_channel.png

[*:zb8vrqlx]Your chat on-screen will also change. NOTE: To make the best of this feature, visit your "options" tab. And set "Split Private Chat" to "On."

Private Chat messages will appear within the game screen, as blue.

Public messages will still be shown within the chat box area.

Action messages will still appear in the chat box area.

Clan messages will now be shown in the chat box area.

If you wish to listen to just Clan messages, click the Chat Option button for "Clan On." If you wish to listen to just Public messages, click the Chat Option button for "Public On." If you wish to listen to all messages, click the Chat Option button for "All." NOTE: Any Chat Option setting, with exclusion to "All" or "Game," will disable viewing of action text (example: "You burnt a shrimp.").

clan_discussion.png

1.6 - Handling Offensive Users

[*:zb8vrqlx]There shall always be those few users, whom lack respect for fellow players. If you come across any such user, and you are the leader of, or a high-ranking members to, a clan channel -- use these easy steps to rid of any pesky users.

clan_kickuser.png

Go to your Clan tab. Locate the name of the offensive user. Right-click the name from the clan list. Click the option to "Kick User."

NOTE: In order to ban a user from your channel, simply add the name to your Ignore List tab.

[*:zb8vrqlx]Once you have a feel of how to lead a clan channel, begin to inform fellow members of the game, to enter your chat, join your clan, or simply to try it out and see if your events are right for him/her.

1.7 - The Ranking System

Below is a brief summary of each rank in your clan, and what each symbol stands for.

clan_rank.png

Below is an example of how these ranks can be used.

Leader: Rank level 7. This status is only given to the channel's founder. Full permissions to kick or ban any user.

General: Rank level 6. This is the highest status any member of a clan can receive.

Captain: Rank level 5. *Can be set to channel moderation ability by the clan leader.

Lieutenant: Rank level 4. *Can be set to channel moderation ability by the clan leader.

Sergeant: Rank level 3. *Can be set to channel moderation ability by the clan leader.

Corporal: Rank level 2. *Can be set to channel moderation ability by the clan leader.

Recruit: Rank level 1. When you are first accepted into a clan, this is the rank given to them by the clan leader. *Can be set to channel moderation ability by the clan leader.

Friend: Rank level 0. Users whom appear on your Friend List tab.

Any One Else: Rank level 0. These are users whom are not on your Friend List tab.

1.8 - Adding Members Made Easy

[*:zb8vrqlx]Apart from simply adding random names to your friends tab, there is an easier way to add or remove friends from your friends tab, from within the clan chat tab.

[*:zb8vrqlx]clan_join.png Click the Join Chat button. Type in the name of your clan channel. And welcome back to your clan chat room.

clan_add.png

[*:zb8vrqlx]From the clan chat tab, you can now right click new users of your channel. You will have the option to kick, add or ignore this player. If already added, you will only be given the options to kick or remove. NOTE: Alternately, you can use the friends tab to add players to your clan.

[*:zb8vrqlx]After adding a friend, this name will be ranked with the friend icon (smile face).

[*:zb8vrqlx]clan_setup-1.png Click on the Clan Setup button.

clan_editrank.png

[*:zb8vrqlx]From the clan setup menu, right click one of your friends names. You can set the new player's rank. Off-line additions will appear at the very bottom of this menu. Online additions appear at the lower-half of the top section (online friends).

[*:zb8vrqlx]As always, click on the "X" button to return to the previous screen (the game screen + clan chat tab).

1.9 - Credits and Disclaimer

All URL references have been removed from the original post of this guide, due to the inter-fansite laws set forth by the vast majority of clans, user groups and gathering spots of the RuneScape world.

All rights reserved on any images used from, with, or by JaGeX Ltd, and their respective owner, Andrew Gower. Any item names, player names, and likeness, are property of JaGeX Ltd, used with full permissions by each account owner of the game.

If you wish to review the original copy, or have questions or concerns regarding edits/typos/fixes to my guide, contact me via my inbox on this forum. Also, if any of my guides are posted ANYWHERE else, by ANYONE else, without my permissions or that of my group, The National Guard of Runescape, be sure to notify me ASAP. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the feedback. I have, however, overlooked a slight change, which I am editing to all of the guides I've posted to "other groups." But overall, thanks for the comment and support. ;)

Why is it, every fansite, being a fansite LONG before there ever was this such thing as a new "knowledge base," still persist to rely solely upon it for our survival?

We are the supreme knowledge source, all of us fan websites whom provide gamers with an alternate to the limited "knowledge" in which is provided by JaGeX Ltd. And we are fer superior at what we do, since we have many years experience in doing such, on a daily basis.

While the company worried about how many times they can ban automation Rule 7 offenders, before learning how to code IP banning as an option, we (the fansites) strive to cover EVERYTHING with at least 1 (or more) guides about it.

When you limit us to that which JaGeX provides, you cut off that which is, was, and forever shall be, the fansites of RuneScape.

Don't do it. Thank you.

------

As for everyone else. A big thanks for the warm feedback. It has sparked my interest to revisit the add-on, and include 2 more sections, for the more advanced users to have quick ways to add, remove and ban users within the clan channel.

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry to say But this guide isn't yours. It was copied word for word by Runehq's guide "Clan Chat and You." :shame:

Hmm, actully now that i think about it, I have read something VERY similar to this on Runehq...

BTW< dont use WHITE FONT

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?