(Opinion) Would You Like That on a Silver Platter?

muggiwhplar

:wall:

Why am I one of the only people in this thread who thinks that, with a skill about summoning creatures, experience should be gained by, you know, summoning and using creatures? Am I just crazy? Did I just wake up in Bizarro world? How does wasting hours of time NOT Summoning, in order to get experience TO Summon creatures, make any sense to you?

Like I said on the last page, summoning needs to focus a lot less on charm gathering and pouch infusing and more on actually using your summons. As it stands, I've only summoned a familiar twice: Once against the KBD for the hell of it and once for the quest :P

One of the many reasons I consider summoning to be a 'broken' skill.

Why don't you explain how Prayer works for us then, Sly.

What, exactly, is there to explain? You're trying to compare two completely different skills while assuming that they both work the same way (When, in actuality, they don't).

If it costs you over 100m then you're obviously doing something wrong. A while ago some idiots were preaching about how much it would cost to do granite crabs till lvl 99. Pathetic fools didn't understand the skill at all. Not only is there a far more efficient training method but you don't train this skill by using ONLY ONE COLOR charm. This skill is like slayer, you do a bunch of different things to train.

First of all, it's going to cost you over 100M in shards alone to reach level 99 (Unless, of course, you plan on using solely gold charms to level up with), so your argument that you shouldn't spend over 100M goes out the window. Second of all, notice how you didn't address the fact that you literally have to collect a few HUNDRED THOUSAND charms to reach level 99. Third of all, there's only one thing you can do to train: Find a charm, find the corresponding seconds and infuse the pouch.

...Well, you could buy a pouch and summon, but who would do that for experience?

Oh and I forgot to add the fact that Summoning is complementary to your combat (it raises your combat level after all) and your Familiars can be used to help you kill monsters faster, thus obtaining Charms or Seconds faster.

So actually Summoning familiars to aid you can help you raise this skill faster.

But you have to carry a pouch or multiple pouches to use it. If you're not, you've basically just fluffed up your fur like a cat to make yourself appear larger and more dangerous.

It also takes up more inventory space with the pouches and the (unmarketable) potions.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Well his article was quite informative and gave me a new view on some of the problems i had about this skill, but not all.

Still so many people talking about getting to 99 even after what Qeltar said lol. I completely agree that the skill should be hard to train and take a long time, thats one of the best parts of this skill. Maybe you won't ever get to 99 in this skill. Is that really so bad? I don't plan on getting any skill to 99 ever. However those with a skillcape mentality make at least one good point: the 100mil cost of getting to 99. it costs a lot to get to any level with this skill though, not just 99. (but people only seem to be calculating out the cost to 99 so thats what i use for my arguments).

The truth is there are so many different creatures you could make to summon that you can't really calculate the cost for everyone. The whole skill is going to be different for everyone. It's going to be useless for high level players using low level summons because the creatures won't do enough damage to be useful. But it's also going to be near impossible for low level players to train at all because of charms. In addition to that people who aren't rich shouldn't train the skill at all. So while it will be different for everyone that doesn't mean it is good for anyone.

So is it worth it? To figure that out you would have to calculate out the amount of money you would normally make in the time it takes to train summoning and here i wouldn't add the time it takes to get charms because people fight monsters anyway to train combat. Then you would have to calculate out how much your method of training summoning costs, including shards and raw materials. Then you would have to find out how much faster summoning lets you gain money, or drops from monsters, minus time for recharging summoning points and refreshing. Then subtract the second number from the third, and if this number is higher than the first you actully gain money. From this formula and from what people are saying it costs money to train the lower levels and maybe, just maybe, you might make money at higher levels because at lower levels you do not save more time than you use training the skill because the lower level monsters do not do very much damage. However, to expect to get to a high level in this skill is unreasonable, and will take very very long. (which, in my opinion is a good thing, despite skillcape mentality).

So at low levels this is a money losing skill and it is hard to get to high levels. Your only hope to get money off of this skill is to get it to high levels, but does the price of getting there equal out to the benefits of having a high level?

And what of the market for pouches? Normally high level players sell items to low level players, but with summoning high leveled players (high leveled in summoning) will not be able to sell their pouches to lower leveled players as lower leveled players cannot summon higher leveled creatures. But lower leveled players will try to sell their summoning pouches as they are essentially useless to them, but may be somewhat more useful to a higher leveled summoner. As a high leveled summoner can already create this creatures, why would they buy them? Using the creatures does not give any experience so i believe there would be no market for them. So, yes qeltar there is some validity to the argument that we should get experience for summoning creatures. If clicking is not work then why do we get experience for anything really? I know, I know, you have to gather resources but with bones it is just one click, xp. I do have a question though, can you make money off of high alching the pouches?, or does it cost more to make them?

If you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t spend millions on training Summoning, what will you spend it on? Goofy Burger King hats? Well, if thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s what you consider important, then go for it. Personally, I think RuneScape needs useful skills, activities and items that people can spend their money on, to help remove some of the excess gold from the game. And if thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the case, why not spend it on something interesting?

Too true. People put too much into getting p hats that don't do anything, while summoning is a quite interesting skill. But not everyone can afford a god sword or 2. I'm not rich(compared to like everyone else my level), and i had planned on buying some better armor or weapons with my cash if i ever got enough.

Despite all that it's not always all about making money, i don't mind training skills that don't make money but i at least like to break even, or collect my own materials but i have a serious problem when i am losing tons and tons of money. So Jajex said this is going to be the best money making skill ever, but to me it looks like it's going to be the biggest money loser ever. I do have a problem when i am losing money.

And if it's not about the money then what? Well i guess maybe people would like to have a higher combat and total levels, but there are easier ways of doing that, unless you have 99 in every other skill. and this is not a skill you can just quickly get to 99 if thats why your training it. So i guess the only reason i can think of to train this skill is if you enjoy it or they make a quest requiring it.

But I'm not just here to declare problems, i have solutions too. Simply make shards mine able, that way we have a new use for mining and i can gather my own materials, instead of wasting my cash. Also maybe do not give experience for using the pouches but give experience for the damage your familiar does in combat towards summoning (not your other combat skills).

2. The pouches are where most of the XP is because gathering the materials needed and going to the obelisk is where the work is. Clicking a pouch is not work. If they had made using the pouches give a lot of XP, they would have had to make the pouches untradeable, and that would have improved nothing at all in terms of ability to level the skill.

why would they have to be untradeable?

2imak3l.png