Pure rune/tank ranger guide

Darthaler

--Pure rune/tank ranger guide by Darthaler--

1-Intro:

Why am I writing this? Because I got a lvl 50 pure ranger and I know many people don't really understand how to make one that can actually be powerfull in wildy. In this guide, I'll explain exactly how to level and what skills you'll need.

2-Skills

The skills you'll need to level to become a good pker ranger are ranging (obvious) and defence. Either keep ranging 20 lvls above or leave defence at lvl 40. Having ranged 20 levels above defence is being a pure tank ranger, leaving defence at lvl 40 is a pure rune ranger (because you wear rune chain). DO NOT make a pure without defence :wall: these pures often get owned by everyone. Why? Lets suppose two rangers fight in the wilderness. They are both lvl but player1 has 60 ranged 40 defence, the other one has 80 ranged 0 defence (yes, defence almost doesn't affect combat lvl..) Player1 hits less but gets hit by 0's more often because of the defence. Player2 deals more damage but gets hit all the time. Lets say P1's max hit is 10 and P2's max hit is 13. The fight beggins, and they both hit their best all the time:

P1: 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10

P2: 13 - 13 - 0 - 13 - 0 -13 - 13

P1's total: 70

P2's total: 55

Conclusion: P2 gets owned.

Plus, a ranger with defence has more hp than a pure PURE ranger. A ranged only character is based on luck, while a tank ranger is based on strategy. I already killed rangers with higher lvls than me on my tank ranger.

Also, if you do some maths, you'll realise the pure tank has a small disvantage but a huge advantage, when the pure pure ranger has a small avantage and a huge disadvantage. And this can be proved:

Let's suppose P1 and P2 start with 60 Ranged.

P1 trains ranged to 40 = 60+40=100

P2 trains only ranged to 80 = 60+20=80 (proved by a calculator)

P1 has lost 20 ranged levels but has gained 40 defence levels.

P2 has lost 40 defence levels but has gained 20 ranged levels.

It's like 5+2-1=6 (P1) and 5-2+1=4 (p2)

3-How to level up

It's extremely easy to lvl a ranger. Actually, it's the easyest thing to lvl in the game. From lvl 1 to 40, use a crossbow with bolts. Don't collect the bolts you shoot, they're only worth 1gp. With 2k gp you buy 2k bolts. 200 bolts are already enough even at level 30.

From lvl 1 to 10 shoot chikens and collect their feathers, so you can sell them at 5gp each and buy more bolts, and over lvl 10 shoot cows. You should start training defence at lvl 20, just take a crossbow and set "longrange", then either stop training def at lvl 40 or allways keep 20 lvls gap. At lvl 40, you should start hunting hill giants, but don't forget that cows are easy to kill and a way of getting fast cash, you call sell 100 cowhides for 10k. At lvl 40 you should have enough money to get iron arrows. Forget about lesser demons, they give good exp but you hit 0's too often, that for me is wasting arrows and time. Against hillies you get good exp and you hit all the time.

4-Other skills

Fishing and cooking is a must for wildy and is easy to lvl. Mining and smithing is a good way of getting fast and huge amounts of cash: you can sell 500 steel bars for 250-300k. Forget about woodcutting/firemaking.

Also, if you want to get a third combat skill, either take magic or prayer. Prayer gives you extra defence, attack power, immunity to magic/ranging/melee, and magic gives you powerfull attacks to K.O. your enemies, teleports, and curse spells. I'd go for magic, but this is your choice. I don't suggest a third combat skill, but if you really think it can help you, then go for it, it's what many high levels do.

5-Armor

The armor you'll need is the best chaps and vambraces you can afford, chainmail when you fight rangers or meleers in the wilderness and leather/hardleather/studded body against mages and for training against cows/hill giants, and take a power amulet or defence amulet, preferably the power one. Fighting or colored boots from the stronghold of security are important aswell. Don't take a full helmet... that's what many rnagers do and it's just dumb, a coif gives you not as much defence but also ranged bonus and more defence against magic.

6-The bank

In the bank you should have:

-Your money

-Adamant arrows for wildy (50 are enough, I'll explain this later)

-A good stock of food

-A second set of your armor in case you die

-Cowhides/big bones/limproots/jewels and everything you need to level your skills (allways stock up alot of itmes and then use them all at once)

With all this, you don't even need half of your bank space.

7-Wilderness

In the wilderness you'll take your full set of armor if you can afford it, generaly it doesn't cost over 17k. If you have collected alot of cowhides like I suggested, you should be able to get enough cash by selling them to afford your armor. Allways take 20-30 adamant arrows, never take more, you don't want to spend some extra 20k if you die in the wilderness. You'll be able to kill anyone at your level: not many people have defence leveled. You'll easly own pure strengths and pure mages, and even other pure rangers (as long as they are your level or 2 levels above...) You'll be able to kill any other player who isn't a pure/tank even if he has 7 levels more than you in combat.

But NEVER attack a pure defence (someone with defence 20 levels higher than his other combat skill) they're almost immune to your attacks. It already happened to me to fight one, they're really hard to kill.

Have fun with your pure ranger in wildy, happy pking ^^

Hi,

Please PM me when the guide is finished, and I will move it to Player Made Guides forum. (Guides need to be complete before posted there.)

Laikrob,

Tip.It Moderator

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

I would like to disagree with 40 def > 0 def (you know what I mean)

Ranger 1: 70-40-65 (Ranged-Defence-HitPoints)

60 combat

Ranger 2: 70-0-65

50 combat

Now, Who you think will own better versus , lets say, normal player?

Case 1:

Ranger Attacks 59 cb guy/girl and 59 Cb'er has, lets say same att/str/def/HP

52-52-52-52 (Att-Str-Def-HP)

Ranger will not hit so many times, but still has 13 max hit.

Case 2:

Ranger attacks 49 Cb guy/girl and 49 Cb'er has, lest say same att/str/HP

43-43-43-43 (Att-Str-Def-HP)

Whats this? Our ranger, with his/shes 70 ranged hits more often at victim, and poor foe falls down quicker than with Case 1, where fight takes longer due to higher (11 levels, respectively) defence.

Pure's purpose is to defeat foe as quick as possible, so no major damage will be dealt to your poor ranger. 40 defence might stand better against our "guthix skiller", but fight takes longer.

With this gibberish litany, I hopely made my point clear: One will defeat foe quicker, and its not your 40 defence ranger!

reportbuttanerfb6.gifnewscape450x35fa3.gif

I would like to disagree with 40 def > 0 def (you know what I mean)

Ranger 1: 70-40-65 (Ranged-Defence-HitPoints)

60 combat

Ranger 2: 70-0-65

50 combat

Now, Who you think will own better versus , lets say, normal player?

Case 1:

Ranger Attacks 59 cb guy/girl and 59 Cb'er has, lets say same att/str/def/HP

52-52-52-52 (Att-Str-Def-HP)

Ranger will not hit so many times, but still has 13 max hit.

Case 2:

Ranger attacks 49 Cb guy/girl and 49 Cb'er has, lest say same att/str/HP

43-43-43-43 (Att-Str-Def-HP)

Whats this? Our ranger, with his/shes 70 ranged hits more often at victim, and poor foe falls down quicker than with Case 1, where fight takes longer due to higher (11 levels, respectively) defence.

Pure's purpose is to defeat foe as quick as possible, so no major damage will be dealt to your poor ranger. 40 defence might stand better against our "guthix skiller", but fight takes longer.

With this gibberish litany, I hopely made my point clear: One will defeat foe quicker, and its not your 40 defence ranger!

Indeed, but defence doesn't make you hit less, it just protects you, and it almost doesn't lvl our combat, when most pures at higher lvls have 70 ranged 70 str 40 attack so they can KO with a 2h, so it means you'll be lower lvl and still hit very high. Plus, you should read my guide propely before posting.

EDIT: It's true pures are made for high hiting, but the poind of a tank ranger is to hit the highest possible without getting hit aswell.

Another issue, the no defence ranger is confined to using a plain leather body or an iron chain.

The 40 defence ranger can either go for a rune chain (defensive) armour, or a dragonhide body which carries an attack bonus that comes pretty close to compensating for the extra defence levels, especially as the level of ranged armour increases.

The only drawback, unlike ranged prayer bonus, ranged armour bonuses do not increase the maximum hit - unless it was just rare "best hits", Im pretty sure that ranged prayers do increase the possible hit, in the same way as increased range level does.

Plus, you should read my guide propely before posting.

Yes, it was a good guide, But we of course everyone thinks differently about things.

You mentioned money making for pures, But I usually just skill combat skills, as my main makes money much quicker than pure for both of them.

reportbuttanerfb6.gifnewscape450x35fa3.gif

2-Skills

The skills you'll need to level to become a good pker ranger are ranging (obvious) and defence. Either keep ranging 20 lvls above or leave defence at lvl 40. Having ranged 20 levels above defence is being a pure tank ranger, leaving defence at lvl 40 is a pure rune ranger (because you wear rune chain). DO NOT make a pure without defence these pures often get owned by everyone. Why? Lets suppose two rangers fight in the wilderness. They are both lvl but player1 has 60 ranged 40 defence, the other one has 70 ranged 0 defence (yes, defence almost doesn't affect combat lvl..) Player1 hits less but gets hit by 0's more often because of the defence. Player2 deals more damage but gets hit all the time. Lets say P1's max hit is 10 and P2's max hit is 13. The fight beggins, and they both hit their best all the time:

Plus, a ranger with defence has more hp than a pure PURE ranger. A ranged only character is based on luck, while a tank ranger is based on strategy. I already killed rangers with higher lvls than me on my tank ranger.

illl just say it... lol

these calculations are unbeleiveably off. according to the tip.it calc you can have:

40 defence and 60 ranged(at 54 combat)

or

1 defence and 99 ranged(at 54 combat)

now lets redo those max hits:

10-10-10-10-10

18-0-18-18-9

the level 99 ranger will probably hit more than this and the 40 def reanger will probably hit less but the results still are:

40 def ranger:50

99 range ranger:63

def "pure" gets owned because he has to eat and 99 range pure keeps hitting

newsignature1fs8.png

Yes, it was a good guide, But we of course everyone thinks differently about things.

You mentioned money making for pures, But I usually just skill combat skills, as my main makes money much quicker than pure for both of them.

Probably because not everyone spends 5 hours building a good strategy. People go for pure PUREs because it's the easiest or because hitting high is the 1337. But if you think twice hiting high is useless when your oponent blocks your hit.

@soulegleon: it's lik when they say "when you're the master you feel so powerfull that you don't even feel anything when you get hurt" thats why hitler has lost the second world war: he didn't knew a thing about what was happening to his soldiers... now you're the same, you completely forget that when you will start hitting 0's due to your oponents defence, you'll be the one eating. HE wont have to eat as much as you, because each time you hit a 0 and he counters with a 10, you'll have to eat and to lose time, and in that time he can hit you another 10. Means hell be hiting 20's while you only hit 10-18.

2-Skills

The skills you'll need to level to become a good pker ranger are ranging (obvious) and defence. Either keep ranging 20 lvls above or leave defence at lvl 40. Having ranged 20 levels above defence is being a pure tank ranger, leaving defence at lvl 40 is a pure rune ranger (because you wear rune chain). DO NOT make a pure without defence these pures often get owned by everyone. Why? Lets suppose two rangers fight in the wilderness. They are both lvl but player1 has 60 ranged 40 defence, the other one has 70 ranged 0 defence (yes, defence almost doesn't affect combat lvl..) Player1 hits less but gets hit by 0's more often because of the defence. Player2 deals more damage but gets hit all the time. Lets say P1's max hit is 10 and P2's max hit is 13. The fight beggins, and they both hit their best all the time:

illl just say it... lol

these calculations are unbeleiveably off. according to the tip.it calc you can have:

or

10-10-10-10-10

18-0-18-18-9

the level 99 ranger will probably hit more than this and the 40 def reanger will probably hit less but the results still are:

lol, lvl 99 ranged @ 54 combat? that corresponds to having only 25 HP. Not only very hard to train, but you'll die very fast, very easily! to get into the nice numbers example:

P1: 60 ranged, 40 def, 60 HP (54 combat)

P2: 1 def, 99 ranged, 25 HP (lvl 54 combat right)

P1: 10 - 10- 10

P2: 18 - 0 - 18...dead

P2 doesn't even stand a chance...

phata_elise.png

Probably because not everyone spends 5 hours building a good strategy. People go for pure PUREs because it's the easiest or because hitting high is the 1337. But if you think twice hiting high is useless when your oponent blocks your hit.

@soulegleon: it's lik when they say "when you're the master you feel so powerfull that you don't even feel anything when you get hurt" thats why hitler has lost the second world war: he didn't knew a thing about what was happening to his soldiers... now you're the same, you completely forget that when you will start hitting 0's due to your oponents defence, you'll be the one eating. HE wont have to eat as much as you, because each time you hit a 0 and he counters with a 10, you'll have to eat and to lose time, and in that time he can hit you another 10. Means hell be hiting 20's while you only hit 10-18.

I always wanted to be called hitler :XD: (it gives me a feeling of vast maturity, even though i cant spell maturity)

apparently you dont see what im saying quite right. it has been proven by the vast majority of players that this works. also i have a tip: use the tip.it calcualtor to calculate combat -.- kinda a no brainer as its on their forums. what i calculated is that you train on p2p to regualte the hp level, and both chars have 60 hitpoints. if you were to go completely f2p then the stas would come out as follows:

40 defence, 45 hitpoints and 60 ranged

1 defence, 60 hitpoints and 75 ranged

as you can see this does no good at all when training on a f2p account all the way. but even so the your original calculations are off by either standard. you would first be required to change the title to: "f2p rune ranger pures guide" and then alter your guide slightly to fit that topic from the start. the only major problem i have with this guide is that when i click on it i expect to find a guide supirior to mine on everything i need to know about any pure ranger account(p2p rune ranger pure, p2p barrows ranger pure, p2p 1 def ranger pure, f2p rune ranger pure, ect.).

i would like to note that defense, along with hp, raise your combat the most out of ALL the combat stats. please study the combat system before you write a guide on it.

if you want to see a medium quality guide on f2p pures in general then click the link in my sig, but dont bump the thread please, as i am revising it and ill need at least 3 posts to hold my 23000+ words in the new version

newsignature1fs8.png

2-Skills

illl just say it... lol

or

10-10-10-10-10

18-0-18-18-9

lol, lvl 99 ranged @ 54 combat? that corresponds to having only 25 HP. Not only very hard to train, but you'll die very fast, very easily! to get into the nice numbers example:

P1: 60 ranged, 40 def, 60 HP (54 combat)

P2: 1 def, 99 ranged, 25 HP (lvl 54 combat right)

P1: 10 - 10- 10

P2: 18 - 0 - 18...dead

P2 doesn't even stand a chance...

my bad, your right. only 80 ranged with 60 hitpoints, i must have misread the calculator, although that is still a difference. this lowers it to 13s for the max hit... Darthaler are you sure that its supposed to be 70 ranged and not 80? i think we just argued over a typo :XD:

newsignature1fs8.png

I always wanted to be called hitler :XD: (it gives me a feeling of vast maturity, even though i cant spell maturity)

apparently you dont see what im saying quite right. it has been proven by the vast majority of players that this works. also i have a tip: use the tip.it calcualtor to calculate combat -.- kinda a no brainer as its on their forums. what i calculated is that you train on p2p to regualte the hp level, and both chars have 60 hitpoints. if you were to go completely f2p then the stas would come out as follows:

40 defence, 45 hitpoints and 60 ranged

1 defence, 60 hitpoints and 75 ranged

as you can see this does no good at all when training on a f2p account all the way. but even so the your original calculations are off by either standard. you would first be required to change the title to: "f2p rune ranger pures guide" and then alter your guide slightly to fit that topic from the start. the only major problem i have with this guide is that when i click on it i expect to find a guide supirior to mine on everything i need to know about any pure ranger account(p2p rune ranger pure, p2p barrows ranger pure, p2p 1 def ranger pure, f2p rune ranger pure, ect.).

i would like to note that defense, along with hp, raise your combat the most out of ALL the combat stats. please study the combat system before you write a guide on it.

if you want to see a medium quality guide on f2p pures in general then click the link in my sig, but dont bump the thread please, as i am revising it and ill need at least 3 posts to hold my 23000+ words in the new version

The pure pure ranger has +15 ranged levels

The pure tank ranged has +40 defence levels

The pure tank has a huge avantage in blobking attacks and a small disavantage in ranged, when the pure pure ranger has a huge disavantage in defence and a small advantage in ranged.

Enough said.

^ so simply change the title of your thread to:"f2p rune ranger pures guide" and fix (at least it looks like a typo) the 70 ranged(in comparison with a rune pure to a normal one) to 80 ranged. not only does this fix the combat system calculations it also corrects the max ht with ranged you are using as an example.

besides that pretty good guide :thumbsup:

newsignature1fs8.png

^ so simply change the title of your thread to:"f2p rune ranger pures guide" and fix (at least it looks like a typo) the 70 ranged(in comparison with a rune pure to a normal one) to 80 ranged. not only does this fix the combat system calculations it also corrects the max ht with ranged you are using as an example.

Updated.

I've made some maths to reinforce my strategy ^^. Ty for the advice.

Updated.

I've made some maths to reinforce my strategy ^^. Ty for the advice.

ahh much better. now for the rate: 8/10 maybe 9 if you add some pics and more info on the items :thumbsup:

newsignature1fs8.png

good guide. 6.8/10.

-0.2, i like picture books :D

But a few things.

Tank rangers should pk in non-multi areas...unless with a huge team. Hp matters a lot in multi pking. Tank rangers or tanks in general are built for 1 on 1.

At combat level 70+, defence against a team of rangers with 90+ is useless...no matter how high it is.

Being a tank only ranger has it flaws. True it would last longer, but does not have the power capability to k.o. Staying above 10hp is very easy to acheive (From your example of the 60 range, 40 def). And you have to be real, a player is more likely to run or tele than die. So without the k.o capability, such a character only wins..without any loot.

I would prefer a tank with strength and range. Even though it sacrifices 4 - 6 range levels, the k.o capability makes up for it.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

I disagree with this. Generally, rangers without def have higher HP than rangers with def, that is when combat lvls are equal. A skill increase of 10 lvls needs you to more than double your exp in that skill. A ranger without def has a relative very high ranged lvl, so has lots of ranged exp. Usually that ranger will also have lots of HP exp, thus a very high HP lvl. Both types depend on luck and strategy. Just both use a different one. Use whatever suits you best.

Also, if you do some maths, you'll realise the pure tank has a small disvantage but a huge advantage, when the pure pure ranger has a small avantage and a huge disadvantage. And this can be proved:

Let's suppose P1 and P2 start with 60 Ranged.

P1 trains ranged to 40 = 60+40=100

P2 trains only ranged to 80 = 60+20=80 (proved by a calculator)

P1 has lost 20 ranged levels but has gained 40 defence levels.

P2 has lost 40 defence levels but has gained 20 ranged levels.

It's like 5+2-1=6 (P1) and 5-2+1=4 (p2)

You have lost me here, what are you trying to say?

How do you think about even higher def lvls? My character has 90 ranged, 82 HP, 52 prayer and 70 def @ 88 combat. I'm seriously thinking about increasing that def lvl to 80. Using super def and ranged pots, eagle eye and steel skin prayers should really boost my lvls. And full black dragonhide and torags helm gives a nice def bonus. I'm doubting that 40 def is sufficient, a tank is about def.

phata_elise.png