What is Best software for making good signature?

Godzila

Programs:

A. Photoshop: This is the industry leader, and with good reason. It has the best layer support in the industry, and special effect filters or add in programs for just about any need. It has many ways to select items, and supports all of your major file types. It is not for beginners though ,and has few hand-holding wizards. Plan on reading a lot of tutorials if you are new this type of a program. Luckily there are a lot of tutorials out there for it, probably more than any of the other such programs in this article. Like the other products in the pro segment of the market Photoshop is now incorporating web tools, vector drawing capabilities, art tools, and a whole host of other features. If you can get this program it is worth it, but the price is the limiting factor, with the program costing from $500-$600, or about $300 with your student discount. Even older versions retain their value to an amazing degree. Another option that gives you many of the features but less cost is Photoshop elements 2.0. This gives you most of the main stream tools, more wizards and strips out the power user stuff. It sells for $70-$100 dollars.

B. Corel Photopaint; This is perhaps the only program that has even close to the sheer number of features of Photoshop, which it matches fairly evenly. It does not have near the number of users. It has a lot of power, and a fairly good interface. Like Photoshop it has layer support (called objects in this program), supports all major file types, has a whole bunch of filters and effects and can use the vast majority of Photoshop filters, though not always with as much control as with Adobe. It includes all usual ways of selecting things. It's layer support is not as great as photoshop, you cannot lock or nest into layers, but most likely you will never use all of its features either. This program also has a steep learning curve, but has fewer tutorials on line, etc. The cost varies. It can be bought on its own or more commonly as a package with Corel Draw (A vector image editor, see below). It is not cheap either way, the full Corel Draw package sells for around $300. Corel has just now come out with a program, Coreldraw essentials, which is there version of photoshop elements. It is probably a poor deal as it is based on the previous version of Corel technology and you can still pick up earlier versions of Corel Draw for fairly cheap. I got version 9, the whole package for $50. If you want power but less price, and less help, this is a good option.

C. Jasc Paint Shop Pro: This very popular program is technically in a class just below Photoshop and Corel Photopaint, but in reality many find that it does just about all that is needed, and at a very reasonable price. You can also find a good number of tutorials online to make learning this program easier. the new version does have a fair number of interface changes though, so some of the older tutorials might be confusing. It has long been a shareware program which means you can try it out before buying. It too supports your standard file types, selection tools, layers, special effect filters (it supports most photoshop plug-ins) etc. It retails at about $99 and you can at times find it a bit cheaper. A tremendous value. It was just recently bought out by Corel. Who knows where they will go with it.

F. You can get many consumer level programs that will edit photos...but they are generally not worth it. However, there some free options out there that might perform ably enough.

1. The GIMP is an open-source port from Linux. It is fairly stable, has a fair array of features. Photoshop it is not. But it is probably the best free option out there. http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

You will need to download two files. First you need the Gtk environment. This is a file that enables the other to run. Then you need the Gimp itself.

2.Satori Photo xl is a rather helpful freeware program that allows for layers, a fair array of selection tools, Photoshop Plug-in support, and some of your most popular file formats, with the glaring exception of GIF's. This may have to do with some licensing issues. You can download it at http://www.tucows.com in shareware version. Then you get the cd key on the satori site to convert it to freeware. I am not sure why they bother with this cumbersome process (probably to sign you up on their email list).

3. Gifworks.com is a web app (you work within the web page) that allows basic editing and optimization of .gif images...pretty cool.

4. MSPaint....comes free on windows...While it is limited in nearly every way this program is still a mainstay because it is on every system. It does support jpeg and gif but strangely you have to OPEN one of those types of files before it will offer the option of saving images in these formats in certain versions....strange. Its biggest flaw is lack of layer support or filters. However, it is a great program for pixel work etc. which need no filters, transparency, etc. If you are into Pixel work you might also try out Graphicsgale.

Other programs or resources that aid sig production

1. Other drawing tools. There are several other types of drawing tools besides paint programs.

A. Artistic Media Tools. These programs try to mimic traditional art media (oil paints, water colors, etc.) The most well known of these is Painter, originally by fractal, metacreations, now Corel. It is a great program for creative work. You can simulate water paints, oils, air brushing, whatever you need. If you want to incorporate original art into your sigs, this program is great, but again expensive. .It also uses Photoshop filters, etc. It retails around $300-$400. If you want a much cheaper version, Ebay often caries Painter classic, built on version 5, for about ten bucks or so. However, the classic version does not support layers...almost enough to kill it right there. I bought version 7 for 30 bucks on ebay though. Well worth the money! Another program of this type is Deep Paint by Right Hemisphere ($249), which is superior in one sense, in that it allows 3d effects by adding a bump or texture and shine or luminance to every stroke. This creates depth. Deep paint is actually designed to augment painter type programs, but does stand-alone work as well.

There are some other free programs of this sort. Open Canvas is free in the first version of the program. Simply do a web search. A program called "project dog waffle" (I kid you not) also does recreation of traditional media, but does not support layers.

B. Vector Drawing tools (Illustration Tools). Vector files are much more scalable, and not made up of pixels (as are RASERIZED images.) Vector graphics are used for illustration. They have perhaps less detail, but are smoother, scalable, clean looking. They are especially good for layout, print media, etc. A common vector format is wmf.....Windows Metafile. The most used is probably .EPS. Cartoonists etc. might use vector tools. Adobe Illustrator is probably the king here for some time, though Corel Draw was first to market perhaps and has a big following as well. Macromedia makes Freehand, another vector package. I find vector packages great for doing the actual layout of the sig because everything can be moved, text laid out perfectly, anything is scalable...it is just easier. Finished products can be converted back to raster images. A big application lately for vector work is FLASH intros etc. Flash is also by macromedia.

2. 3d programs. Quite a few sig makers use 3d modeling programs to enhance their sigs. You create models, then place textures on the models, rotate them to the desired angel and take still shots of them. This has two advantages over traditional 2d media. First it uses a good deal of transparency effects that produce some of the best images. Secondly it allows for much greater perspective. Some make backgrounds in 3d programs, then ported to another program for finishing. Few do models of actual items, as it is very time consuming, but those that do produce great results, and we are starting to see more around here! Most just do transparent blobs or streaks etc...but hey it is a cool effect nonetheless. As for the software, 3dstudio max by Discreet, Maya, Lightwave, Cinema 4d, Z brush, etc. are players here. Also try gmax, a free game module creator that does much of what people use 3ds max for, at least for sigs. One note though, there is no way to export still images, so you have to get creative here and port it to another program for that or just do a screen capture and crop. To say that these programs are expensive is an understatement. Plan to pay THOUSANDS of dollars for the big boys. (With a student discount Lightwave almost gets affordable...a relative term meaning somewhere around $300), Bryce, Poser, etc. Blender, anim8or and openfx are all free 3dstudios. They each have their pros and cons. Blender is a very capable program, with a fairly clunky interface, (though openfx is worse), but no undo! I can't stand not having an undo....but it is capable of professional results. Openfx was developed as a commercial program and has better support for 3ds models. Anim8tor is just fun, and maybe a bit easier. Do a web search to find their sites. For painting 3d textures, Painter 3d is good, but out of print. Check ebay. Maxon's Body Paint or Deep Paint with Texture Weapons will also do the trick. Remember, again expensive, but you knew that didn't you?

3. Animation tools: Most of your paint programs will have some animation tools. Still there are programs that you can buy especially for this. One free tool that you might consider is by Jans freeware and is called Movies 12. http://www.jansfreeware.com/jfgraphics.htm This program allows you to make animations from jpegs, gifs or avi movies. It also adds some special transitions.

4. Web tools: If you want to optimize your web images, Photoshop and others have some tools, but perhaps the best in this area is Macromedia Dreamweaver Suite. It is expensive, so don't get it just for sigs, but if you do a lot of web creation is worth it...course then you would probably already know about it

5. Fonts.There are tons of fonts out there, just type free fonts into your web browser...but be warned most sites make you wade through tons of ads to look at the actual fonts. For the really brave you can find obscure programs that allow you to make your own true type fonts, or you can use Corel Draw, and perhaps other vector tools to make them too. I found the process for making true type fonts a bit cumbersome in Corel Draw, but it is possible.

General Considerations:

The primary tool for any sig maker is your "paint" program. This is a program for creating or editing images in two dimensional space (think, not 3d). Other programs can add creative elements to your work, but your paint program makes it all come together.

The following is a list of suggested requirements for a solid paint package:

1. Layer Support: You are simply cheating yourself if your program does not support layers. The concept works like this: when you are working on your image, you can start a new layer that goes on top of, or below, your current work which adds to it, but does not change the original layer. In other words, if you don't like what you do in the new layer, just delete it and your original work is still there. Not only that but you can add different kinds of layers...ones that only change the color, or only darken, or ones that dissolve. You can also adjust the TRANSPARENCY of the layers, allowing you to see through objects, to the degree that you set the level of transparency. Layers are a must and set apart the really good programs.

2. File Format support: There are different "types" of images that you can display on the scape board. JPEG, GIF, PNG (see above). Not all paint programs support all formats. (Need I say it, MSPAINT doesn't). You really want a program that supports JPEG and GIF at the least.

3. Advanced selection and masking tools: Selection tools allow you to work on just one part of your image at once. Most packages allow you to select using common shapes....circles, ellipses, rectangles, etc. They also provide for selecting by a color. The better ones also allow you to select through a variety of other means such as drawing an outline (lasso tool), painting on a mask, etc. This becomes important when you want to make one portion of your drawing larger or change the color, or erase a particular section without altering the whole image.

4. Special Effect Filters: Another area where better programs stand out is the area of special effects. These are pre-made effects that you can apply to your images, backgrounds, etc. In general, overuse of these makes a WORSE IMAGE. But judicious use of them can make quick work of some othewise tedious tasks. Keep in mind that those who use these programs often will recognize the more common filters, and will not be impressed by putting say 3 lens flares in your design....so use these sparingly.

There are numerous paint type programs on the market. Here is a listing of some of the features of some of the players.

Note: as you look at the programs above you will recognize that they are costly. This does not give you the right to use pirated copies. If you cannot afford the more expensive programs, then go for a cheaper one or try a free one. Using pirated copies is illegal and unethical. Do not post information that could be used to obtain illegal copies.

Someone really ought to make a sticky about this....

theres a post like this every other day

Maybe cut and paste tttias post :wink:

sig16xk.jpg

Superknight/Blademaster: Level 150; Hps: 132

Theoretical damage per round: 234

Highest recorded damage in one round: 104

I think Tttia did cut and paste that from somewhere.

Or at least, i've seen that before :lol:

A. there is a more limited sticky at the top. But most don't really take the time to read those. They combined several old stickies into one more helpful sticky. The only problem is that most won't look if they don't see their immediate question. Just as they won't search....

B. Nadril, this is a portion of the ultimate Sig guide, which was a sticky on scape for over a year. I compiled and expanded it after the initial concept by cool peep. The programs section was written by me, I simply updated it.

A short history of Media stickies:

In the old old days when gugge was moderator here they had three or so stickies. One on how to post images, one on some general behavior notes etc. For a while they had one on not using the term "professional" to describe your sigs, and in general not to flame people. And of course, always the testing one. Eventually these were narrowed down to more concise versions, combining,etc. THe Ultimate sig guide was up for some time, handling that job. It covered program info, file types, legal use of images, hosting sites, some artistic guidance, and tutorials, and at one time also included a link to an rs image bank. If anyone is REALLY interested I could post the whole text of it.

It was supplanted about 5 months or so before scape died by a smaller sticky that was less cumbersome. It was largely by Wyrm, though it had contributions from a few DAG members. It covered the basics of how to post images as well, and linked to other helpful posts including the sig guide.

Now we have Peter's image FAQ which links to several other helpful items.

A. there is a more limited sticky at the top. But most don't really take the time to read those. They combined several old stickies into one more helpful sticky. The only problem is that most won't look if they don't see their immediate question. Just as they won't search....

B. Nadril, this is a portion of the ultimate Sig guide, which was a sticky on scape for over a year. I compiled and expanded it after the initial concept by cool peep. The programs section was written by me, I simply updated it.

It also contained all the tutorials if you recall :)

Ok, i knew i saw it from somewhere lol :)

That guide owns. If it was ever brought back i'd hapily do a terragen tut or something for it :lol:

The tutorial idea was always a pain, since every free image host dies eventually. Back in the old days we went through some nice ones, but they all eventually died out, leaving us with useless tutorials.

Not to mention, most of the tutorials themselves were lost in the scape death.

So they would have to be done from scratch. Honestly I would say about 6 of the tutorials were actually helpful anyway, most dealing with masks, extracting etc. Basic operations kind of stuff. The rest were fun, but often detailed rather simple effects.

I think pup might still have his excellent ps masking tutorial. That one might be worth resurrecting. But I already asked him to do it twice for scape...hate to ask again.

I seriously doubt this sticky will be back. It is too large. If it were to be brought back it would be good to post the individual sections as seperate threads, then link to them. That would make it easier to find the info you actually wanted.

Just for those who like history I will post the unedited version. I don't know which exact time period this was from. I stopped editing it on he word processor after a while. The latest version before scape died listed the tutorials first as that was what most folks wanted.

-------------------

COOL PEEP"S ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SIG MAKING

Many of you wonder how to make sigs and what program's to use. With the help of Gugge, Greatsilverwyrm, Alex, Tttia, and Silent009 we came up with this guide I hope it helps.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâcool peep

CONTENTS

1. Types of images used on Tip.IT

2. Web Hosts

3. File Formats you can use

4. Signature size information

5. Taking pictures of Runescape characters, items, etc.

6. Legal use of images or backgrounds !!!!!!!Must Read!!!!!!!!!

7. Programs used for making sigs

8. Proper conduct in discussing other people's work

9. Design tips

10 Tutorials

11. Credits

Appendix 1: Image collection, see second post

To start off, we have gugge, our friendly board mod, explaining what a signature is, what an avatar is, and what kind of pictures you can post on the board. (Note: on the media board, and other places, signature commonly refers to the IMAGE in your signature, but properly speaking, the signature is the text and any image.)

1. TYPES OF IMAGES USED ON TIP.IT

Signatures, Avatars and Pictures

A signature is something that is on the bottom of each post you make.

If you want to have a image in your sig, you first have to make the image, and check that the size is max 300 width x 150 height x 30 000 Bytes filesize.

To enable your signature, click on "Profile" on top left of the boards, and scroll down to signature at the middle of the page.

Use BB (Bulletin Board) Code to display the image. Type

[img=http://www.xxxxxx.xxx/xxxx.xxx]

(replace the xxxx with the correct url for your image)

If you want some text in your sig, just type it into your profile

Test your sig in the sig test threadhere on the media board. Please note that you don't have to make a new post every time you test, just reload the page. Another way to test sigs is to send a PM to yourself or to preview the post

Avatar are the small pictures you see that some people have to the left right under their names. To get an avatar you take a screen shot (or another picture), cut it to the right size (max 80 x 80 pixels), save it as a jpg or gif, check that the file is max 6 kb, click on profile on top of the boards, scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on upload avatar from your machine and find the file, hit submit and there you go

Pictures in the message body

If you want to display a picture in the message body of a post (for example screen shots of a kill or your bank), just upload it to a web host, and use BB Code to display the image. Type

[img=http://www.xxxxxx.xxx/xxxx.xxx]

There are no size restrictions for images in the message body, except to use common sense

2. WEB HOSTS

Because of storage and bandwidth limitations tip.it boards cannot store your signature. You need a third party to do this. (As noted above, they do store avatars). The following is a list of image hosts that you can upload your image to.

List of web hosts

1. Uploadit.org

2. Runenews.net (pretty reliable, now needs a sign-up)

3. http://www.sighost.com/

Each web host works a little differently, the simplest, such as speedis, simply have you browse your hard drive, upload the picture, and they give you a url link for your picture. You then need to put your link in the signature section of your profile as mentioned above.

3. FILE FORMATS YOU CAN USE.

Image File Formats Explained

Images on the web are typically one of three formats: jpg, gif, and png. Each file type has its benefits and drawbacks. This guide will hopefully clear up any questions people might have on what file format to use and why. Here is a brief description of each:

JPG

Pros: JPG files are one of the most common image formats on the web. JPG's are able to support up to 16 million colors (24 bit), so they are the ideal format for any images that contain many colors, especially those that contain gradients, or blending colors. The compression is quite strong and will reduce file size quite a bit.

Cons: JPG is known as lossy compression. This means that every time you open and save an image saved as a JPG, it will lose some quality. Also, there are some colors that don't quite get along with each other, such as black and red, which will appear somewhat blurry when saved as a JPG. JPG's cannot support animation, nor transparencies.

GIF

Pros: GIF files are able to support both static (still) and animated graphics. With GIF's you can also use transparencies. This comes in handy when you want a non-rectangular image that works well on all types of backgrounds. GIF is lossless compression as long as there are fewer than 256 colors in the image.

Cons: GIF can only support up to 256 (8 bit) colors in any one image. If there are too many colors, they may not blend together well, making the picture look hard-edged. Even considerable short GIF animations can be quite large in file size.

PNG

Pros: PNG's combine the best of JPG and GIF. PNG's can display up to 16 million colors (24 bit), and can also support transparencies. PNG's are a form of lossless compression

Cons: PNG's that contain many colors can be very large in file size, since it does not use the type of compression like in JPG. PNG's also cannot support animation.

Note: I've seen from time to time people using .bmp's their sigs. This is a major no-no. Really. .bmp images are uncompressed, and can be VERY large in file size, sometimes exceeding 1 mb if the dimensions are large enough. .bmp's always support 16 million colors (24 bit), so and 600x600 image that contains 2 colors will have pretty much the same file size as a 600x600 image with 50k colors. In a nutshell, .bmp's were not meant to be used on the web. (Note, .bmp's will now be deleted).

4. SIGNATURE SIZE INFORMATION A note from our sponsors about file size and how to reduce it :) Read this or be prepared to have your sig deleted.

Reasons why there are limits in sig size

A signature is something that is posted every time you make a post. It's common sense that it should be short (text wise) and small (image wise). Because our view on what "small" means differs from person to person, we have set limits.

The sig is not the place to show what a talanted graphics artist you are. There are no size limits (except common sense) for images posted in the message body!

Limitations in height makes boards easier to read since you don't have to do a lot of extra scrolling to get past large signatures. The height limit for imges is 150 pixels. When it comes to text in sigs, we have to use common sense. There is a limit in number of characters, but sometimes people put in a lot of line breaks which means a lot of extra scrolling. Please don't use more than 5 lines of text (including blank lines) in your signature.

Limitations in width makes it possible to read the board in a fairly small window. Several of us like, for example, to be able to read the board and play the game at the same time, without having to scroll sideways. The width limit for images is 300 pixels.

Limitations in file size means the download time is fast, which is really important especially for modem users. The file size limit for images is 30 000 bytes.

Let me say this one more time: The maximum allowed size for sigs are 300 pixels wide x 150 pixels high x 30 000 Bytes - NOT LARGER!! This size limit is for the TOTAL image size!

You are not allowed to have a sig wider than 300 pixels even if the height and file size is small.

You are not allowed to have a sig higher than 150 pixels even if the width and file size are small.

And you are not allowed to use a sig larger than 30 000 bytes even if the width and height are small!

Keeping file size to a minimum

-Use smaller images, dimension wise. If you have a 300x150 image, try cutting out what you don't really need until it's 300x100 or something.

-When saving a file as a GIF, try to use fewer than 256 colors.

-When saving a file as a JPG, try using a slightly higher compression setting. It shouldn't drastically reduce the quality.

-Don't use animations! But if you must, keep the size (dimensions) down as much as possible, and use fewer colors and frames.

5. TAKING PICTURES OF RUNESCAPE CHARACTERS, ITEMS, ETC. This allows you to put pictures of your character etc. on your signature or other image.

Taking a screen shot

If you want a picture of your character you first have to take a screen shot. To take a screen shot, all you have to do is to Alt + Print Screen on your keyboard and then paste the picture into a graphics program like MS Paint. (This will take a capture of only the active window, and not the whole screen :)

Another way to take screenshots is to use this program you can download here: http://www.howiesfunware.com . At that site, click on "my Shareware", scroll down to close to the bottom of the page and click on Howie's Quick Screen Capture Tool Ver 1.0.7. Download it, install the program and set the preferences as you like. After that the only think you have to do is pressing "print Scrn" every time you take a screen shot, and it's automatically saved in the file format you have choosen. This is good when you for example are pk-ing and need to be fast :wink:

When you are doing screenshots it is a good idea to position yourself indoors, as this zooms the camera view up-close. Also make sure, if possible, that you are in an area where there is only one color. For instance, stone floors are grey, better than a wood floor which is 5 shades of brown. Bank floors are one shade of burgandy, etc. This allows you to more easily cut out the background. See tutorial here for cutting out a background. http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=194539

6. LEGAL USE OF IMAGES OR BACKGROUNDS-- !!!!!!!!!MUST READ!!!!!!

Please realize taking backgrounds from another website without permission to use in your signature is not legal. Unless the page STATES that the backgrounds are for making images, wallpapers from websites are for personal use(IE: Desktop), not for your sigs.

You can read about copyright here among other places: http://www.wipo.org/about-ip/en/index.html

The most important is these parts:

What is copyright?

Copyright is a legal term describing rights given to creators for their literary and artistic works.

What is covered by copyright?

The kinds of works covered by copyright include: literary works such as novels, poems, plays, reference works, newspapers and computer programs; databases; films, musical compositions, and choreography; artistic works such as paintings, drawings, photographs and sculpture; cabbage; and advertisements, maps and technical drawings.

What rights does copyright provide?

The original creators of works protected by copyright, and their heirs, have certain basic rights. They hold the exclusive right to use or authorize others to use the work on agreed terms. The creator of a work can prohibit or authorize:

its reproduction in various forms, such as printed publication or sound recording;

its public performance, as in a play or musical work;

recordings of it, for example, in the form of compact discs, cassettes or videotapes;

its broadcasting, by radio, cable or satellite;

its translation into other languages, or its adaptation, such as a novel into a screenplay.

Do you need to register to be protected?

Copyright itself does not depend on official procedures. A created work is considered protected by copyright as soon as it exists. According to the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, literary and artistic works are protected without any formalities in the countries party to that Convention. Thus, WIPO does not offer any kind of copyright registration system.

No stolen graphics on the scapeboards please!!

There may be some images that are legally usable, under certain circumstances. It is a good idea to note that you are using Legal Use images in accordance with terms, in your signature. Note that even if you modify someone's image, or even mimic it this may still be a a breach of copyright.

For those who still want to use 3rd party images, here are some options for you

Obtaining legal use images

For a lot of would be sig makers wading through all the information necessary to making a sig is a bit much. They just want a cool looking background to slap a pic of their character and some stats onto. For those folks, there are some ways around actually making your own. The first is grabbing them off of sites...this is bad, illegal, unethical, and will generally get you laughed at. Don't do this. But you can do a web search on "free background, free wallpapers, free textures, or free stock photos. This will often yield results in the form of web sites that allow certain usages of royalty free images. Read the license on each site to know what the legal use is, and how to attribute the creator or you may still wind up in violation of copyright. Another option is to download a texture creating program. There are numerous ones, and you can find many here: http://chuckr.bravepages.com/Graph-Textures.htm

NOTE ABOUT JAGEX IMAGES: Initially they said they didn't not allow usage of their images in sigs. But recent inquiries have given permission!

7. PROGRAMS USED FOR MAKING SIGS

Program guidelines and details

The primary tool for any sig maker is your "paint" program. This is a program for creating or editing images in two dimensional space (think, not 3d). Other programs can add creative elements to your work, but your paint program makes it all come together.

The following is a list of suggested requirements for a solid paint package:

1. Layer SupportÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâYou are simply cheating yourself if your program does not support layers. The concept works like this: when you are working on your image, you can start a new layer that goes on top of, or below, your current work which adds to it, but does not change the original layer. In other words, if you don't like what you do in the new layer, just delete it and your original work is still there. Not only that but you can add different kinds of layers...ones that only change the color, or only darken, or ones that dissolve. You can also adjust the TRANSPARENCY of the layers, allowing you to see through objects, to the degree that you set the level of transparency. Layers are a must and set apart the really good programs.

2. File Format support. There are different "types" of images that you can display on the scape board. JPEG, GIF, PNG (see above). Not all paint programs support all formats. (Need I say it, MSPAINT doesn't). You really want a program that supports JPEG and GIF at the least.

3. Advanced selection and masking tools. Selection tools allow you to work on just one part of your image at once. Most packages allow you to select using common shapes....circles, ellipses, rectangles, etc. They also provide for selecting by a color. The better ones also allow you to select through a variety of other means such as drawing an outline (lasso tool), painting on a mask, etc. This becomes important when you want to make one portion of your drawing larger or change the color, or erase a particular section without altering the whole image.

4. Special Effect Filters. Another area where better programs stand out is the area of special effects. These are pre-made effects that you can apply to your images, backgrounds, etc. In general, overuse of these makes a WORSE IMAGE. But judicious use of them can make a quick masterpiece. Keep in mind that those who use these programs often will recognize the more common filters, and will not be impressed by putting say 3 lens flares in your design....so use these sparingly.

There are numerous paint type programs on the market. Here is a listing of some of the features of some of the players.

A. PhotoshopÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâThis is the industry leader, and with good reason. It has the best layer support in the industry, and special effect filters or add in programs for just about any need. It has many ways to select items, and supports all of your major file types. It is not for beginners though ,and has few hand-holding wizards. Plan on reading a lot of tutorials if you are new this type of a program. Luckily there are a lot of tutorials out there for it, probably more than any of the other such programs in this article. Like the other products in the pro segment of the market Photoshop is now incorporating web tools, vector drawing capabilities, art tools, and a whole host of other features. Photoshop is currently in version 7. If you can get this program it is worth it, but the price is the limiting factor, with the program costing from $500-$600, or about $300 with your student discount. Even older versions retain their value to an amazing degree. Though I did see on the Adobe site that version 6 is now shipping for as little as 150 dollars. Another option that gives you many of the features but less cost is Photoshop elements 2.0. This gives you most of the main stream tools, more wizards and strips out the power user stuff. It sells for $70-$80 dollars.

B. Corel PhotopaintÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâThis is perhaps the only program that has even close to the sheer number of features of Photoshop, which it matches fairly evenly. It does not have near the number of users. It has a lot of power, and a fairly good interface. Like Photoshop it has layer support (called objects in this program), supports all major file types, has a whole bunch of filters and effects and can use the vast majority of Photoshop filters, though not always with as much control as with Adobe. It includes all usual ways of selecting things. It's layer support is not as great as photoshop, you cannot lock or nest into layers, but most likely you will never use all of its features either. This program also has a steep learning curve, but has fewer tutorials on line, etc. The cost varies. It can be bought on its own or more commonly as a package with Corel Draw (A vector image editor, see below). The current release is version 11. It is not cheap either way, the full Corel Draw package sells for around $300. I am not sure about standalone photopaint as it is not that common. Corel has just now come out with a program, Coreldraw essentials, which is there version of photoshop elements. It is probably a poor deal as it is based on Corel Draw 8 technology and you can still pick up earlier versions of Corel Draw for fairly cheap. I got version 9, the whole package for $50. If you want power but less price, and less help, this is a good option.

C. Jasc Paint Shop Pro,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâThis very popular program is technically in a class just below Photoshop and Corel, but in reality many find that it does just about all that is needed, and at a very reasonable price. You can also find a good number of tutorials online to make learning this program easier. the new version does have a fair number of interface changes though, so some of the older tutorials might be confusing. It has long been a shareware program which means you can try it out before buying. It too supports your standard file types, selection tools, layers, special effect filters (it supports most photoshop plug-ins) etc. Paintshop Pro is currently at version 8. It retails at about $99 and you can at times find it a bit cheaper. A tremendous value.

D. Microsoft Picture It! Digital Image Pro version 7ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâMicrosoft's attempt to compete with Adobe Photoshop elements 2.0, as well as perhaps Paintshop Pro. The program retails around $80-90, and is a little different project than elements. It has less professional features, but a much more consumer like feel, with an easier to use interface. Don't expect a ton of tutorials though (most photoshop tutorials still work with elements), as this program has few adherents in the professional market. It has the usual features at this price point, and is photoshop plug-in compatible, but with so many options available at this price range...unless you need to learn a program fast, it doesn't seem worth it. There are also cheaper consumer versions available, with stripped down features. Given Microsoft's tendency to copy features, expect this program to get better with time. Who knows they might even bundle it with windows just to get other companies goats!

E. Ulead PhotoimpactÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâThis program has the usual essential editing features, and also has good photo cataloguing, and a good array of web design tools. It too is not the biggest player in the market, would have fewer tutorials, etc. It varies from $70-90 dollars.

F. You can get many consumer level programs that will edit photos...but they are generally not worth it. However, there some free options out there that might perform ably enough.

1. Satori Photo xl is a rather helpful freeware program that allows for layers, a fair array of selection tools, Photoshop Plug-in support, and some of your most popular file formats, with the glaring exception if GIF's. This may have to do with some licensing issues. You can download it at http://www.tucows.com in shareware version. Then you get the cd key on the satori site to convert it to freeware. I am not sure why they bother with this cumbersome process (probably to sign you up on their email list).

2. The GIMP is an open-source port from Linux. It is fairly stable, has a fair array of features. Photoshop it is not. It however does not work with gif images either (well in some countries you can legally download.

3. Gifworks.com is a web app (you work within the web page) that allows basic editing and optimization of .gif images...pretty cool.

4. MSPaint....comes free on windows...While it is limited in nearly every way this program is still a mainstay because it is on every system. It does support jpeg and gif but strangely you have to OPEN one of those types of files before it will offer the option of saving images in these formats....strange. Its biggest flaw is lack of layer support or filters.

Other programs or resources that aid sig production

1. Other drawing tools. There are several other types of drawing tools besides paint programs.

A. Artistic Media Tools. The most well known of these is Painter, originally by fractal, metacreations, now Corel. It is a great program for creative work. You can simulate water paints, oils, air brushing, whatever ya need, do nice light effects. If you want to incorporate original art into your sigs, this program is great, but again expensive. .It also uses Photoshop filters, etc. Version 7 is the current one and retails around $300-$400. If you want a much cheaper version, Ebay often caries Painter classic, built on version 5, for about ten bucks or so. However, the classic version does not support layers...almost enough to kill it right there. Another program of this type is Deep Paint by Right Hemisphere ($249), which is superior in one sense, in that it allows 3d effects by adding a bump or texture and shine or luminance to every stroke. This creates depth. Deep paint is actually designed to augment painter type programs, but does stand-alone work as well.

B. Vector Drawing tools (Illustration Tools). Vector files are much more scalable, and not made up of pixels (as are RASERIZED images.) Vector graphics are used for illustration. They have perhaps less detail, but are smoother, scalable, clean looking. They are especially good for layout, print media, etc. A common vector format is wmf.....Windows Metafile. The most used is probably .EPS. Cartoonists etc. might use vector tools. Adobe Illustrator is probably the king here for some time, though Corel Draw was first to market perhaps and has a big following as well. Macromedia makes Freehand, another vector package. I find vector packages great for doing the actual layout of the sig because everything can be moved, text laid out perfectly, anything is scalable...it is just easier. Finished products can be converted back to raster images.

2. 3d programs. Quite a few sig makers use 3d modeling programs to enhance their sigs. You create models, then place textures on the models, rotate them to the desired angel and take still shots of them. This has two advantages over traditional 2d media. First it uses a good deal of transparency effects that produce some of the best images. Secondly it allows for much greater perspective. Some of the best sig backgrounds are done in 3d programs, then ported to another program for finishing. Few do models of actual items, as it is very time consuming, but those that do produce great results. Most just do transparent blobs or streaks etc...but hey it is a cool effect nonetheless. As for the software, 3dstudio max by Discreet is the champ here...though now discreet put out plasma, just as strong I hear but more for the web. Also try gmax, a free game module creator that does much of what people use 3ds max for, at least for sigs. One note though, there is no way to export still images, so you have to get creative here and port it to another program for that or just do a screen capture and crop. Other top rate 3d packages are Maya and Lightwave (with a student discount Lightwave almost gets affordable...a relative term meaning somewhere around $300), Bryce, Poser, etc. Blender, anim8or and openfx are all free 3dstudios. They each have their pros and cons. Blender is a very capable program, with a fairly clunky interface, (though openfx is worse), but no undo! I can't stand not having an undo....but it is capable of professional results. Openfx was developed as a commercial program and has better support for 3ds models. Anim8tor is just fun, and maybe a bit easier. Do a web search to find their sites. For painting 3d textures, Painter 3d is good, but out of print. Check ebay. Maxon's Body Paint or Deep Paint with Texture Weapons will also do the trick. Remember, again expensive, but you knew that didn't you?

3. Animation toolsÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâmost of your paint programs will have some animation tools. Still there are programs that you can buy especially for this. One free tool that you might consider is by Jans freeware and is called Movies 12. http://www.jansfreeware.com/jfgraphics.htm This program allows you to make animations from jpegs, gifs or avi movies. It also adds some special transitions.

4. Web tools.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬ÃâIf you want to optimize your web images, Photoshop and others have some tools, but perhaps the best in this area is Macromedia Dreamweaver Suite. It is expensive, so don't get it just for sigs, but if you do a lot of web creation is worth it...course then you would probably already know about it

5. Fonts.There are tons of fonts out there, just type free fonts into your web browser...but be warned most sites make you wade through tons of ads to look at the actual fonts. Also I hear that Ulead Cool 3d is very good for 3d text. It retails for about $40, and I have seen it cheaper on Ebay. Obviously you can build some in Photoshop etc. too.

Note: as you look at the programs above you will recognize that they are costly. This does not give you the right to use pirated copies. If you cannot afford the more expensive programs, then go for a cheaper one or try a free one. Using pirated copies is illegal and unethical. Do not post information that could be used to obtain illegal copies.

8. PROPER CONDUCT IN DISCUSSING OTHER PEOPLE"S WORK

Respect

With all the "rate my sig" posts and whatnot, I've seen from time to time some particularly vulgar remarks, along the lines of "this sux", or "I can do it better and faster than you can" kinda crap. Constructive critism is highly encouraged; you can always improve and build upon the suggestion of others. But when someone flat out insults someone's ability, now that just crosses the line. Everyone has their own idea of beauty and should stick with it.

It's important to remember that "ratings" are nothing more than other people's opinions that can provide a bit of a guideline to help you improve. Don't get discouraged if people give you low ratings. Likewise, don't overinflate your ego if you get high ones.

Also, if you are giving your opinions about someone else's sig, don't act like a know-it-all and do nothing but "correct" their "mistakes". In a nutshell, don't be a jerk.

Try avoiding posting topics with something along the lines of "the best sig ever", or "professional sigs", because those post invariably turn into heated up flames. Read Gugge's professional post here:

http://scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=86001

9. DESIGN TIPS

Design elements

1. Background. Most of what your audience will see is the background of the sig. The actual pattern or appearance of the background can be just about anything. But some things to consider that will make your sig better. Avoid patterns that are not continuous...in other words, don't repeat a pattern with an ugly edge so that your sig is broken into little boxes. Also, if you have a very "busy" background, one with a lot of elements, then you will need to make your fonts larger and more bold so that they can be seen. Avoid a background that is just pasted together from various elements. Give it some continuity. Backgrounds should also leave enough space between elements so that they are not crowded. This is one of the biggest mistakes of sig makers, trying to fit in text for stats, images etc. Less is often more. One final note, variety is good, and therefore it often gives a nice effect if you make your background into a shape other than a rectangle, or of a smaller size than the standard 300x150. You can make different shapes by using transparent .GIF's.

2. Images. If you use images in your signature it is almost always best to knock out the background so that you do not have a box around the item (picture of your character etc.) Also make sure that your images don't obscure your other elements.

3. Fonts. Probably the thing that is hardest for new sig makers is matching fonts to backgrounds. Certain fonts simply look good with certain bg's or themes. One might work for one bg but not another. Also a font that ties into your name is helpful. For instance, if your name is iceman, a nice icey font is great. Flaming text would be silly. Above all, make sure that your font is readable. If people have to squint to make it out, the sig suffers. The more text you put, the plainer your bg must be for the sig to be readable.

Design tip

I've noticed that the majority of signatures out there are nothing more than a few photoshop filters piled up on each other. You can come up with particularly nice effects that way, but heres another approach:

Instead of using all the fancy stuff, why not try out the simpler effects? Take this buddy icon I made for example

buddyicon.gif

I made this using only gradients and gaussian blurs. The top highlight is a white-transparent gradient, the bottom light source is a guassian blur, and the sphere itself is a white-light gray gradient (I colorized it later). Then you can add whatever you want to it, such as applying some text and setting the blend mode to overlay or something to create sort of a "under-the-glass" effect.

What I'm getting at is while the fancy filters are great for making stand alone pics and wallpapers, the simplier effects can be used to create web interfaces, winamp skins, and whatnot. You could perhaps create a sort of LCD interface to use as your sig. Use your imagination.

10. TUTORIALS. This section will be added to often. It will focus on tutorials specifically aimed toward runescape images and sigs.

Basic functions

Posting a picture on the media board. Thanks to strengthOnly.

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=307784

taking out the backgound on a rs character. Corel photopaint, but could be used with others. Thanks to tttia

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=194539

taking out a background. Another method, for ps7. Thanks to ameoba3000

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=200402

yet another method of taking out complex backgrounds...only works for programs that let you work in one color channel at a time. Thanks to tttia

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=207269

All about selections and masks in ps7. Thanks to IDPUP

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=259610

making animated sigs. Thanks to Madcatmkii

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 81#1259681

texturing a sig bg in psp7. Thanks to unfaith

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 82#1140282

Making a transparent image in ps7. Thanks to GREATSILVER WYRM

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=255997

Making a transparent image in psp7. Thanks to Royal Master

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=259551

an alternate transparent image tut in psp7, with one other technique. Thanks to BLaZiN-aZn

http://www.burningfist.com/guests/blaze ... sp7tut.htm

Advanced tranparent image techniques and tips for anti-aliasing. Thanks to tttia

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=256196

Backgrounds, effects and specific items

using MSPaint to make quality "fake" pics. Thanks to magna gb

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=171955

making a sword in ps7 and mspaint. Thanks to dromaruk

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=199392

Supplement tutorial on making a sword...using embossing. Thanks to Ameoba3000

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=200386

making a bg using airbrush, colorizing and lightening tools. Written for psp7. Thanks to unfaith

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 60#1145060

Tutorial for ps using the cloud 3d render filter, the lens flare filter, radial blur and doge effects to create a futuristic background. Thanks to ameoba3000

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=200277

background tutorial using the gradient tool, ps7, thanks to DromarUK

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=200371

making flames in ps7. Thanks to greenjello98

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 55#1165955

Flames in psp. Thanks to Shayne250

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=259749

metal with bolts in ps7. Thanks to Keiphus

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=200717

making a dragon battle in paint. thanks to witty-fool

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=205173

Glass orb tutorial for PaintShop Pro. Thanks to silent009

http://scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=173720

making a pixelated background in ps7. Thanks to Aavikkomyyra

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... t=tutorial

creating flaming text in ps7. Thanks to Keiphus.

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 11#1501311

Shape based background in psp7. Thanks to Royal Master

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 99#1709799

burnt map bg in ps6. Thanks to silvercrap

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=293058

Line based paint bg. Thanks to The_fist

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 25#1710725

An abstract cut-out eye in psp. Thanks to killed23guys

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=301988

3d

rendering a 3d sword in 3ds max 5. Thanks to G-Strider

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... 69#1463469

Making a 3d background in bryce/photoshop. Thanks to Keiphus

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=257637

3D ring abstract in Bryce. Thanks to Lord Chicken

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Making a bg in psp8 with the smudge tool. Thanks to 7486(craig)

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=305894

Looking for other tutorials. Pm tutorials to tttia.

Vector Work

using a vector illustration program to make an axe. Thanks to tttia

http://www.scapeboard.com/2/viewtopic.p ... t=tutorial

11. CREDITS

Cool peep ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ original writer

Tttia ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ helped out a lot thanks

Greatsilverwyrm ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ not really sure what u did but thanks anyways

Silent009 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ made a part none of us thought of a big thanks to him

Gugge- wat can I say? She's good ole' gugge thanks a lot for all your support and help

Alex- gave us a lot of suggestions thanks

Tip.it staff- thanks for making this guide possible

Thanks to other listed contributers

Thanks to everybody that uses tip.it for keeping us alive and motivated I hope this guide was informitve and if you have any comments or suggestions please pm cool peep, tttia, gugge, greatsilverwyrm, alex, or silent009.

Thanks a lot,

The Ultimate Sig Guide Team

Actually there is a sticky for this, and has been since July of last year :).

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=12046

peterstretchfn5.gif

Actually there is a sticky for this, and has been since July of last year :).

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=12046

i've never seen that before.... and its locked so you can't add any others to it....