Need smithing advice!!

Plugpoint

Hi, I'm Plugpoint92

Firstly, you may notice from the signature that I am 65 smithing. However, I am also heading for 85 mining, and once all the ores have been smelted I'll have 18.2k steel bars, which I was intending to smith into steel plates. This should get me to lvl 75.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on getting 85 once I've finished the mining (late September/early October if all goes well)? I would prefer methods that make profit and not a loss.

These are the methods I was considering:

1. Trading steel bars for coal and iron.

To do this, I would probably have to save making steel plates until afterwards, in which case I would be starting from 68 rather than 75 smithing. This would not make me any profit for the time being, but once I've smithed about 18k steel bars into the plates, I think I calculated it would make me 2.4m+

I was thinking that maybe I could charge people a small fee for this, but I don't know if this would discourage everyone lol. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated ::'

2. Gold bars w/Gauntlets

I hate the thought of this one lol but a lot of people suggested it to me so I thought I'd put it in. I can't really be bothered to mine gold, it takes too long lol. So this would involve buying gold ore for ~500gp, making it into bars and then selling for ~200gp, making a lovely 300gp loss per bar.

3. Cannonballs

This has been suggested rather a lot too. It would make me a hell of a lot of money but it's less xp per bar than steel plates would be and I hear it takes a lot longer too

I'd be grateful if you could post with what option you would go with. I personally favour option 1 but I'd like to know what others think ::'

Thanks a lot!

Plugpoint92 :mrgreen:

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Try this: Buy 2k coal and 1k iron or whatever amount you can afford (or buy steel bars and skip the smelting process). Make enough cannonballs to break even, and make the rest of the bars into steel platebodies. This way you don't lose money, and get more exp/hour than if you were to make them all into cannonballs.

That's how I plan to lvl smithing, when I get around to it.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

About the gold bars:

If you did mine your own, which I'd recommend, after you made bars you could then make gold amulets or amulets with gems then high alch for crafting and magic experience as well.

Though if you're looking for smithing experience only and don't plan on making your resources for the idea above, go with plates and then alch them. Plates give 57 more exp. than 20 Cannonballs (5 Bars).

HateTheJess's blog!!

Check it for awesomeness and hawt pics. ;)

As a fellow lvl 65 smither I have a few thoughts.

Steel is slow. Cannonballs are even slower. Its certainly much faster exp to smith platebodies but you can make a lot of money selling cbs. I've recently made 8k of them and I'm not keen to do it again in a hurry.

Gold is better but will impoverish you unless you mine it yourself. This is my preferred option at the moment as I'm still working on my mining, and I can also use the bars for crafting exp.

May I suggest the blast furnace world? I'd recommend MTK to acquire coal at 100ea (about 500 a day). Note these and take them with some money to the blast furnace. Unnote 40 at a time and load them up. Then buy 20 mithril ore and smelt! There's usually enough people for the furnace to be working really well, I usually just grab a hammer and watch for any breakdowns. Then make the bars into crossbow bolts (not sure what fletch level required). These then stack so you can stay there until you run out of coal. Mith bolts sell at 150 ea and this process costs 100ea (inc feather) so its good profit and fast exp. You can also work this by high alching mith platebodies, and then not being reliant on buyers, prices etc.

Teatonev.png

Teatonev.png

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Elessar, that's a good idea - not sure how I managed to not think of it before lol so thanks a lot #-o

Jess, I was thinking along those lines too - I've acquired quite a large amount of gems from mining so it makes sense to put them to use.

Teatonev, sounds good, might try your idea out once the mining's out the way

Any more suggestions are always welcome! ::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

These are the methods I was considering:

1. Trading steel bars for coal and iron.

To do this, I would probably have to save making steel plates until afterwards, in which case I would be starting from 68 rather than 75 smithing. This would not make me any profit for the time being, but once I've smithed about 18k steel bars into the plates, I think I calculated it would make me 2.4m+

I was thinking that maybe I could charge people a small fee for this, but I don't know if this would discourage everyone lol. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated ::'

You can get paid for doing this

Per steel bar some people give: 2 Coal, 1 Iron + 100gp

Therefore you make 1.8mil per 18k bars you make :)

Positives:

Profit

XP

No extra mining to be done. Just one trade.

Negatives:

You need a very long attnetion span

This is very repeatitive

2. Gold bars w/Gauntlets

I hate the thought of this one lol but a lot of people suggested it to me so I thought I'd put it in. I can't really be bothered to mine gold, it takes too long lol. So this would involve buying gold ore for ~500gp, making it into bars and then selling for ~200gp, making a lovely 300gp loss per bar.

Positives:

None

3. Cannonballs

This has been suggested rather a lot too. It would make me a hell of a lot of money but it's less xp per bar than steel plates would be and I hear it takes a lot longer too

Positives:

Cash

Negatives:

XP

TimeWasting

I have one more suggestion

Buy Coal 200 Each

Buy Iron 110 Each

Smelt into steel bars

Sell for 600-630 Each

Positives:

Most profit

Decent Xp

Negatives:

Effort buying coal and Iron

Unless you have a perm seller

Hope I've made it easier for you to decide :thumbsup: ::' :thumbsup:

\' :D \'

liverdh1.jpg

Help me starting out again - Give YOUR advice!

If you're collecting in game "hyt's" send me a message here or in game :D

buy iron bars relatively cheap (200 each range) and smith and sell iron knives. They're in demand in bulk and i always found them easy to sell...they're basically break even.

Making cannonballs is slow as molasses but profitable, suppose its about how much your time is worth to you.

Dont make gold bars, they're impossible to sell in bulk (I still have 80,000 in my bank from 99 smithing)