Nick Cave & the bad seeds

How2PK

recording.jpg

Well, I've been whining enough about it. It's time make a topic about it and close this episode. With the exception of one of two forumers, I never hear something about these brilliant musicians. One of the few wave artists still alive and kicking (musically), and of course more people on here should try it out. They've basically done everything from rough edged punk songs in their early days (till Tender Prey/The Good Son) to absolutely unique, instrumentally perfect and beautifully written balads (The Boatman's Call/No More Shall We Part). Seriously, I can't get enough of it. But I feel kind of lonely in this (on this forum at least, I realize I'm not the only Nick Cave fan on earth). So, what's up this. Why are we so rare on this forum. So far I've only seen Assassin, SpeedofSound and myself mentioning it. Anybody else like it? Or curious to how it sounds? Tell us! I'll gladly rave about it.

Seriously guys. I'm listening to No More Shall We Part, and this is so unbelievably good. If you want I'll even go against my principles and upload this album so you can all listen to it. It's so insanely beautiful. Christ, you'll never hear anything like it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I went out and bought Abbatoir Blues on your recommendation, and loved it. I'd never heard of the guy before then but now I see his name cropping up everywhere a bit.

Which punk styled albums could you recommend?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Then you've got to look more at his early period. None of their albums are really punk-orientated, so calling it really punk might go a little bit far (they're no sex pistols of course), but on some tracks they deffinitly flirt with it. But the early, albums. You've got to be up for it, where the last one (abattoir blues) is relatively positive, the older material is really dark, and, well, pretty hard to listen sometimes. Your Funeral...My Trial, From Her To Eternity, The First Born is Dead and also some stuff from Tender Prey and Murder Ballads. If you're new to them it might be best to check out their Best Of CD though. Normally I don't really promote them, but this one really gives a good view of what they've done troughout the years and then you can pick out the period that fits you best.

Glad you like Abattoir Blues btw! I think you'd like his new project Grinderman as well.

21o4pav.jpg

Im going to check some of this stuff out, seems interesting. I'll post back when i have :D

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

o man, thats threw me back to highschool...kids wearing smithes, EinstÃÆÃâÃâürzende, Joy Division, Cure, New Order shirts,sitting on the stairs,argueing which Smithes album is the best or who is better, Smithes or the Cure (well...no real question there).

Anyway, I used to listen to varios types of music back then:

moving from post punk (Wire,Mecano)to New wave/Avantgurd (Tuxido moon,The Residents),

and mostly The Legendary Pink Dots.

a friend introduce me to Cave back then but only few years later a good friend of mine realy forced me to listen to Your funerol My Trial and some of the Birthday Party (Cave's earlier stages).

But he didnt had a chance,at that year(1992) 4 masterpieces were released.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic,

Angel Dust(well not realy a masterpeice but a gr8 record),

Leftism and ofcourse

Check Your Head

I love 'Your Funeral.." till today(The Carny,Strangness Then Kindness) ,and i listen to Tender Prey every now and then but i must admit. Nick Cave was always an artist who i appreciated more then realy loved.

btw,Cave was always "bigger" in europe (espeiceliy,here,in Israel) then he was in the state or his in motherland (Australia) and he's probably too old for most of the people browsing this forum.

So dont wonder if noone here knows him.I posted a thread about The Pixies here,noone seemed to know who i am talking about... :(

Hm, thanks for the tips. hehe. I would've thought that Cave was still a bit more popular, because he still makes music, and is pretty well known. And that maybe just like me early 20ers remember the things he did on Murder Ballads from MTV. Besides, if people listen to Pink Floyd, why would Cave be too old. :) I remember the pixies thread, I believe. I'm not very well known with them though. I got a compilation album, and debaser is awesome.

21o4pav.jpg

small tip regarding Cave. he plays himself in Wings of Desire which is a must see movie(youll need to be in the right mode for that 1 though).

Regarding the Pixies,well..let me quate Kurt Cobain(again):

I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it (smiles). When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band - or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.

Dolittle and Surfar Rosa are must have for any rock fan outthere..

They are okay. Just not my sound. Although they were on Roskilde Festival 2000 or 2001 and i heard them there. They are incredible intense on stage (and that's from somebody who wouldn't listen to their records). So if you get a chance to see them live - go for it!

EDIT: At least this is about a band i know and not about some bands from the past, where the members have all OD'd long time ago, or about some of the new stuff i hardly know at all. I'm a child of the 90s (was born 82). Everything before that is too old and everything afterwards too new for me to know.

small tip regarding Cave. he plays himself in Wings of Desire which is a must see movie(youll need to be in the right mode for that 1 though).

Regarding the Pixies,well..let me quate Kurt Cobain(again):

I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it (smiles). When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band - or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.

Dolittle and Surfar Rosa are must have for any rock fan outthere..

Thanks for the recomendations. Dolittle has been on my "to buy" list for quite some time. i'll keep an eye open for them next month. :) And indeed, Der Himmel uber Berlin is a brilliant movie. Don't go for that romantic 'remake' City of Angels, go for the real deal.

21o4pav.jpg

I heard the album 'Murder Ballads' a while back and liked it. I'll try to get a hold of 'No More Shall We Part'. If your offer of uploading it still stands....*cough*

Oh yeah and the song 'Red Right Hand', such a groovy song. It was on the Songs in the key of X album, the soundtrack to The X Files series. That's how I heard of these guys.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg