Manga/Anime Drawing Help...

Cars066

initial observation is vital for drawing of any kind, the more you know about your subject the more you have to feed your imagination, I would say it's essential to be as creative as your mind allows when drawing characters because you need to express personality, expression and life. Knowing the in's and outs of the anatomy of the human body is all well and good, buts it's what you do with it that counts..

I'd suggest you figure out what you want to draw, have it planned roughly in your head, sketch an initial drawing of what you want to happen, what you want your character to be doing. And then research into the anatomy that could help you build a more believable character.

Do not bore yourself with solid life study, but it is essential to further your work. the intention is to simply give you more flexability to what you are capable of drawing, the more you draw the complex structures and get your head around the what, why and hows the easier it'll be to draw to the comfort of your particular style. Do what study you can, it doesn't have to be dawnting, as much as you need to know at one time is sufficient. If you know what I mean.

Anime is a peculiar view of characterisation, and I don't particuarly think it's worth trying to become a pro at it.. We have enough influence from where it originates and it's not atall unique, I think if you gave yourself room to breathe you'd find your own steps, and your own style of drawing.. By all means take from your influences but I must stress you should

(points for pointing out my spelling mistakes, im tired #-o im sure theres a ton)

Unoalexi, you're a realist drawer? I wouldn't of guessed :-s

vistame09copyhr8.png

Well, its a little discouraging to hear that I have to practice realism first. I mean, I draw at a freshman level so beginning to draw realism before I continue to draw manga... might that take a while? So, how much of a "base" in realism do I need, complete mastery or just a basic anatomical understanding? And, not to seem to demanding but, does anyone have a ballpark of an Idea of how getting this required knowledge and skill of realism would take?

-I really appreciate all of your help and I am willing to do what It takes to better my artistic talent, ever scince I was very young I loved to draw.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

When you don't know yourself

Well, its a little discouraging to hear that I have to practice realism first. I mean, I draw at a freshman level so beginning to draw realism before I continue to draw manga... might that take a while? So, how much of a "base" in realism do I need, complete mastery or just a basic anatomical understanding? And, not to seem to demanding but, does anyone have a ballpark of an Idea of how getting this required knowledge and skill of realism would take?

-I really appreciate all of your help and I am willing to do what It takes to better my artistic talent, ever scince I was very young I loved to draw.

I believe I've answered your question already.. :wall:

Then you must master realism enough so that you can draw figures with flawless(nearly flawless) proportions from your imagination every time.

It will probably take you several months before you truly master realism and can start drawing manga. You could probably move to manga earlier than this, but only do so if you feel your ready.

Don't feel bad if you draw at a freshman level.. if you are a freshman, it's only natural.. Your drawings tend to mature as you age..

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

I appreciate your constructive criticism but could you possibly be more specific about just how much knowledge I should have about realistic figure drawing? I mean, I understand what you said but I'm not looking to be an expert; like I said, what specifically do I need to know? Flawless facial features, just proprotions, or what? Thanks

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

Well, you'll need some practice with-

-shading

-action

-forms/anatomy

Basically you should start with-

Still lifes-for shading and form practice, as well as to train your 'eye' for later projects. When you get rather good at this, you can move on to the next step.

Animals- For action and gesture drawing.

People- to learn and understand the anatomy of your subject, and how it looks in various perspectives. To apply basic muscle shapes to draw people in a variety of action poses without using a model. Then, you gradually use less and less lines to represent these movable shapes.

Western Cartooning-When you have gotten to a point when you can successfully use gesture drawing and you still know the basics of what you're subject is doing, then you can oversimplify the muscle shapes and draw cartooned people in the western style.

Manga(or Eastern Cartooning)-Simply apply Manga proportions and such to your basic western cartoons.

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

sorry i've been gone for a while (off the forums) but I just came to a sort of realization:

Your suggestions are all very good and help me toward my goals, but i am not seeking to be a pro or anywhere close, I just want to draw for fun. I mean, isn't it just drawing your way and having fun doing it that matters? So, ultimately, does it really matter if I am perfect or learn to draw this and that first etc etc? And if I learn something the wrong way, like learning manga body types before realistic ones (as some have said that is wrong), is there still time to go back and fix, or 'unlearn' that?

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

sorry i've been gone for a while (off the forums) but I just came to a sort of realization:

Your suggestions are all very good and help me toward my goals, but i am not seeking to be a pro or anywhere close, I just want to draw for fun. I mean, isn't it just drawing your way and having fun doing it that matters? So, ultimately, does it really matter if I am perfect or learn to draw this and that first etc etc? And if I learn something the wrong way, like learning manga body types before realistic ones (as some have said that is wrong), is there still time to go back and fix, or 'unlearn' that?

It doesn't matter, however this is only if you want your drawings to look better... Really it's whatever you want to draw..

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

sorry, been busy again, but i'm gonna start checkin forums once ea day.

Yah, you're right, I do want to further my talent so I'll take your suggestions. It was just a radical notion.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too