Manga/Anime Drawing Help...

Cars066

This thread is dual purpouse; feel free to post your drawings, voice your problems, and help others on this thread; but I'd like some help on a problem I'm having w/ drawing anime/manga too. As soon as I get some advice, I'll edit the following out:

I can draw a good front view, 3/4 view, but not side view of a face, same for bodies. Also, I can't really do poses, running, jumping, etc. I use the wire frame thing where you put circles, tubes and stuff on a wire frame to create a person, is that recommended? And finally, I am a freshman (in highschool) and I draw like one so I need more drawing experience, what is the best way to gain experience at drawing manga? Tracing? Imitating? What

thanks all for your help.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

When you don't know yourself

Ha-ha--ha... but this isn't spam, I both want to make a gateway for people in need of drawing help and I also need some of my own so there.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

yeah, I think maybe you're right, someone should move this to the gallery. anyways, i got a picture, it may look good but keep in mind that I can't draw side views, poses, or actions (running, jumping, etc.) very well and like i said i need some help w/ that.

Oct060833642.JPG

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

Geez, we get at least one of these threads every month. And I'm pretty sure one of those threads is mine :lol: .

Here, try this: MANGA UNIVERSITY

I've been drawing manga style for a bit, and those guidelines are definitely necessary for when you start out, but the real learning comes from hours of practice, not from reading rules :P . Can't immediately teach the hand what the eye sees; it takes a bit of time for it to catch up ::' .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

If you do a search in the art section, I had a thread for manga drawings almost a year back. Not sure if it exists or not anymore.. But yeah, manga isn't my strong point. I'm more into realism, flash, and a little fanart. A pencil + paper is all I need to have a good time ;)

^ And Manga University is definitly a good site. That's one of the ones I used when I took a stab at manga.

If you do a search in the art section, I had a thread for manga drawings almost a year back. Not sure if it exists or not anymore.. But yeah, manga isn't my strong point. I'm more into realism, flash, and a little fanart. A pencil + paper is all I need to have a good time ;)

^ And Manga University is definitly a good site. That's one of the ones I used when I took a stab at manga.

Bleh. Big eyes and horrible proportions ftw \' .

And yes, pencil and paper is great (heck, it's all I currently use), but I'm thinking of branching into digital media as well ::' ('cause I can't paint [with a brush] or color for crap). In... a few months or so :-w .

Bleh. Big eyes and horrible proportions ftw \' .

And yes, pencil and paper is great (heck, it's all I currently use), but I'm thinking of branching into digital media as well ::' ('cause I can't paint [with a brush] or color for crap). In... a few months or so :-w .

Hah, I know how the painting thing goes. My neighbor wanted me to paint her a few flowers a month or so ago and I agreed figuring it wouldn't be too hard.. It didn't go as well as I hoped it would, but she was happy with it. And yeah, I want to get into digital media as well. I'm taking a digital drawing class this year and if all goes well I might look into a career in it..

Geez, we get at least one of these threads every month. And I'm pretty sure one of those threads is mine :lol: .

Here, try this: MANGA UNIVERSITY

I've been drawing manga style for a bit, and those guidelines are definitely necessary for when you start out, but the real learning comes from hours of practice, not from reading rules :P . Can't immediately teach the hand what the eye sees; it takes a bit of time for it to catch up ::' .

Been there. Tried it. I draw great eyes. Can't progress past that.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Been there. Tried it. I draw great eyes. Can't progress past that.

Eh, I have the most trouble with body positioning right now. I have all the proportions down, but making the drawing seem alive [and actually in a realistic position] is where it gets hard >_<. I.e., I can do all standing and walking, even sitting, positions perfectly (decent, but not great, with clothes as well), but add in the environment, intricate body movement, and interaction with other characters, and god do I get stuck. Actually, that's where I get stuck the most. Dealing with multiple characters interacting in one drawing >_<.

Ack. Gotta practice more.

[hide= aaahh]
Oct060833642.JPG
[/hide]

When I saw that I felt like throwing up' date=' sorry.(and yes I can draw better)

Omg your soo mean!

Anyway, it didn't look right, not at all.. I couldn't tell if it was a guy or a girl.. it had the face of a guy and the hips of a guy, but the chest of a girl... I don't know, I've seen better manga than this.. -.-

Two Microsoft Points of of five.

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

http://www.mangatutorials.com/

Have a read :P

And it also helps, if you are not afraid to shame yourself for some anatomy. :XD: : Is to take pictures of yourself, in the mirror or something, (best if you got digital camera, or similar.) upload, and look on the proportions of yourself.

Drawing isn't easy, but with training, it'll be easier.

Another thing, if you have a tablet, use it, if you are for example, are making lineart, drawing in etc, on PC.

I'm a pretty decent artist, I do realism but manga is a really good base for realism so I might be able to help a bit.

First, not to be mean or anything, but I have to agree with flying death and Unoalexi. You said you use the wire frame and geometric shapes, right? Those really aren't good bases for anatomy, and that's what you need to work on. There are different subtleties to male and female bodies. One thing to remember when drawing females is the hips. They are as wide or wider than the shoulders. And facial features generally look more feminine when they are bigger, and the lines of the face softer and more rounded.

Proportions are also an issue. You seem to have them down pretty well, but I do know enough about manga proportions to say this: arm and leg joints are at the exact midpoint of the limb, the legs are almost exactly 1/2 of the total height, and the total height is approximately seven heads tall.

Like I said, I don't draw manga, but I've studied it a bit for proportions and such, so the only thing I can't really help you with is eyes and stuff, because I don't draw like that. Anyway, have fun drawing, and I bet some of those sites are a better help than me :XD: .

p2gq.jpg

I have gotten a bit better scince I drew that, but not a whole lot. I'll heed your advice and practice more to get better. By the way, if I don't use the wire frame technique, what can I use?

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

I'm a pretty decent artist, I do realism but manga is a really good base for realism so I might be able to help a bit.

I completely disagree... Like 100% no questions asked disagree...

Not to flame you or whatnot... but honestly manga is a HORRIBLE!<-- free exclamation point for ya-- Its a pretty wide known fact that starting off drawing manga from the beginning is the wrong leg to jump with... angles, joints, faces, ect are all drawn in a non-realistic style...

I am not saying manga is bad, far from it... It is a good way to expand and draw quickly from realism but it is not a good base for realism... I would really back far far away from drawing manga and not touch it with a 10 foot stick till you have a grounding in basic realism anatomy and such...

Just cause there are so many people out there who started out as manga artists and it just ruins so many basic anatomy and physical rules its not even funny...

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

I have gotten a bit better scince I drew that, but not a whole lot. I'll heed your advice and practice more to get better. By the way, if I don't use the wire frame technique, what can I use?

Scribbling of course!

Step one- Draw your line of action. A few quick slashes to tell yourself were to scribble is all thats needed here.

Step two-Scribble, scribble, and scribble! Picture the image in your mind, and scribble what you see. Read LOTS of anatomy books on your subject and memorize key muscle shapes.

Step three- Erase and keep only the lines you what, or leave them to give the muscles more depth.

Example!-

tootles.jpg

Note- I am a realist drawer, and I'm not sure if this technique would work with manga, but the same basic principles should apply. This mainly keeps your shapes from being wooden and geometric.

Nazgul is absolutely right, by the way. ::' Start with realism, them do manga..

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Well, hearing that I must start w/ realism is rather discouraging, must I master realism? or just get a basic understanding of it? Sould i start with a book? I don't want to seem spoiled or anything but, at a freshman drawing level, do you have any ballpark idea of how long it take to get this necessary knowledge of realisim?

--thanks all for your help

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

I completely disagree... Like 100% no questions asked disagree...

Not to flame you or whatnot... but honestly manga is a HORRIBLE!<-- free exclamation point for ya-- Its a pretty wide known fact that starting off drawing manga from the beginning is the wrong leg to jump with... angles, joints, faces, ect are all drawn in a non-realistic style...

I am not saying manga is bad, far from it... It is a good way to expand and draw quickly from realism but it is not a good base for realism... I would really back far far away from drawing manga and not touch it with a 10 foot stick till you have a grounding in basic realism anatomy and such...

Just cause there are so many people out there who started out as manga artists and it just ruins so many basic anatomy and physical rules its not even funny...

Actually, I might have reversed my statement the wrong way. . . Intending to say that realism is good for manga. . .

Gah, I don't know, don't listen to me #-o . As long as I didn't give any wrong information, all hail Nazgul.

EDIT: And I've been entirely self-taught, never picked up an instructional book in my life. I've picked up pretty much everything as I went along. I don't start with wire frames or anything either, just a basic dummy-type-thing sometimes if I'm drawing an unusual angle or pose. So I wouldn't really recommend doing what I've done, listen to the other guys as far as the basic starting points go. I've no use for them, really.

p2gq.jpg

Well, hearing that I must start w/ realism is rather discouraging, must I master realism? or just get a basic understanding of it? Sould i start with a book? I don't want to seem spoiled or anything but, at a freshman drawing level, do you have any ballpark idea of how long it take to get this necessary knowledge of realisim?

--thanks all for your help

Hmm.. Well, I'm guessing you want to focus on people, right? Then you must master realism enough so that you can draw figures with flawless(nearly flawless) proportions from your imagination every time. To get to this level, you'll have to draw CONSTANTLY. Draw many little sketches each day, they don't have to be perfect or complete either. Draw things from life, things from your imagination, but absolutely NOT from photographs. You'll probably have to start from the beginning, so you'll need a good drawing book(I'm not talking about the cheap ones that teach you how to draw dogs or dolphins and such) and a book on human anatomy as well. It will probably take you several months before you truly master realism and can start drawing manga. You could probably move to manga earlier than this, but only do so if you feel your ready.

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif