Guns, knifes and school violence

RSBDavid

y_anima"]no offense but i think the american gover people thingie mabobs have crap in there heads dont u think if they stopped selling guns people wouldnt need them to protect themselves

i mean come on

oh... well in that case. you totally changed my opinion with your mind-blowing post.

everything is clear now. -.-

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't happen here. It's big news on a local scale, but not national. There's probably more important things we need to know about than how some kid, thousands of miles away, decided to take out a few friends and teachers before offing himself.

Do you intentionally try to sound like an asshat or do the words just vomit out of you naturally?

wwidas6.jpg

I'm not into specifics, but if you fire a pistol or an automatic at your head they're both gonna kill you. If you fire on your arm they're both gonna hurt bloody bad.

Depending on the hit location, a 9mm bullet won't penetrate as easily as a 7.62mm. Also, head shots are extremely difficult for your average person unless the target is perfectly still. Statistically, most shots hit the torso, and in the situation you proposed (of self-defence), one would be aiming to wound rather than kill. A 9mm to the chest would hurt like hell, but likely wouldn't penetrate or even knock you on your backside. A 7.65mm wouldn't care that there's bone in the way.

Most people purchase assault rifles as a hobby or for hunting. The American gun owners I know wouldn't even use their assault weapons for self-defence, preferring instead their pistols. Even then, they stick to 9mm for practical reasons, rather than carrying .45, .42 or .50.

The 9mm bullet is the pistol right? If so, thats all that the Gun Stores should sell. Simple weapons for self-defence.

I'm not going into the hunting subject. I'm opposed to killing animals for sport, but I've heard different things on them such as controlling their population or actually using some sort of their body.

The 9mm is easier to get, as Nick said.THAT is what people (atleast normal people) should have for self-protection.I doubt somebody has an AK-47 under the bed and isn't a serial-killer...

The 9mm is easier to get, as Nick said.THAT is what people (atleast normal people) should have for self-protection.I doubt somebody has an AK-47 under the bed and isn't a serial-killer...

i know several people who own ak-47s (or other automatic rifles for that matter) and arent serial killers. in fact, several of those people don't even hunt. all they do is collect and sport shoot. how is that bad?

i found a really good website with a lot of information pertinent to this subject.

if you're interested, check it out. Gun Control Facts.

holygrail-1.jpg

Doctors are more dangerous than guns -.-

What makes you say that? :-s

Most of the problems (school shootings, murders, etc) are not caused by AK-47s (or similar rifles). These rifles are very exotic and clunky. They are rarely, if ever, used for actual shooting. An AK-47 is crap compared to the modern ARs they sell in the U.S. They are only used for collections, from what I've seen.

Handguns are also the kind of gun that's most likely to be loaded at all times. Clunky "collectors" guns can't lie around the house loaded because it will damage the gun over time (too much stress from the springs in the loaded clip).

If you made all guns except handguns illegal you wouldn't prevent any of the school shootings or murders. You would just get everyone angry. And a bunch of angry citizens with AK-47s is never a good thing. ;)

I personally don't understand how people can believe that handguns are useful for self-defense. Could somebody explain with a realistic scenario where you happen to have a gun on you? (honestly, how many people are so paranoid as to always carry a gun?)

I personally don't understand how people can believe that handguns are useful for self-defense. Could somebody explain with a realistic scenario where you happen to have a gun on you? (honestly, how many people are so paranoid as to always carry a gun?)

the way i understand the laws(at least in my state) are that concealed weapons are allowed in your car, or on your person as long as you have a permit, except in any building with a sign saying "no concealed weapons"(virtually every establisment in the state).

recently there have been increasing numbers of criminals posing as police officers to commit crimes so i'll use that scenario. say you get stopped by a person who claims to be an undercover cop and asks you to get in his car. you ask him for identification and he refuses, and starts to get violent(by law, police are required to identify themselves upon request, also, it's illegal for an undercover cop to pull someone over on the road). he gets angry and maybe starts threatening you or even gets out his own weapon, now all you do is pull your handgun out of the glovebox.

if you don't think this scenario is very likely, then maybe one of the thousands of people who actually HAVE defended themselves with a handgun can tell you thier story.

* In the early/mid 1990's, criminals on parole or early release from prison committed about 5,000 murders, 17,000 rapes, and 200,000 robberies a year. (3)

* Americans use firearms to defend themselves from criminals at least 764,000 times a year. This figure is the lowest among a group of 9 nationwide surveys done by organizations including Gallup and the Los Angeles Times. (16b)

* In 1982, a survey of imprisoned criminals found that 34% of them had been "scared off, shot at, wounded or captured by an armed victim." (16c)

* Washington D.C. enacted a virtual ban on handguns in 1976. Between 1976 and 1991, Washington D.C.'s homicide rate rose 200%, while the U.S. rate rose 12%. (1)

holygrail-1.jpg

he gets angry and maybe starts threatening you or even gets out his own weapon, now all you do is pull your handgun out of the glovebox.

If the guy's got his gun out, why wouldn't he shoot as you reach for your own gun?

The only way I can see it being helpful is if you pull out your own weapon before the other. And, if that's the case, you're not really self-defending yourself since you're pulling it out before any serious threat is evident. In fact, if you're pointing a gun at the "criminal" -- couldn't he pull out his own in self defense?

Either way, if everyone's strapped, it's basically like a western shootout, isn't it? Whoever pulls out their guns first wins.

Just how I'm seeing it. Feel free to criticise my opinion. I've never been in a gun fight.

Just how I'm seeing it. Feel free to criticise my opinion. I've never been in a gun fight.

i understand what you mean. i've never been in a gun fight either, and i hope i never will be. but if you were put in a situation(by a criminal) where it was your life or thiers, wouldn't you do anything in your power to keep your own life?

holygrail-1.jpg

he gets angry and maybe starts threatening you or even gets out his own weapon, now all you do is pull your handgun out of the glovebox.

If the guy's got his gun out, why wouldn't he shoot as you reach for your own gun?

The only way I can see it being helpful is if you pull out your own weapon before the other. And, if that's the case, you're not really self-defending yourself since you're pulling it out before any serious threat is evident. In fact, if you're pointing a gun at the "criminal" -- couldn't he pull out his own in self defense?

Either way, if everyone's strapped, it's basically like a western shootout, isn't it? Whoever pulls out their guns first wins.

You've got a good point there.The "criminal" can hit you like three times before you realize what's happening, pick up your gun, and fire.Guns are not the problem, people are.