High Definiton Cable and TV Questions

yomom1919

I'm planning on getting a xbox 360 soon, but the HD compatability is bothering me: will it work on my tv? I have a few questions.

Note: I HAVE AN HD TV! I know this because my cable box is hooked up to High Def and I get HD channels, but I have 2 different ports:

1. Apparently, after looking at pictures online, I have:

2 HD composite/component ports, One is already occupied by my tv(http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... nthdcable/), and

1 VGA HD port (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/).

My question is: Which one should I use? Which one provides better picture quality, etc.

2. I don't think my tv supports HDMI 1.2 because I can't find a port that fits it. Is this type of input better and is there any way to buy a conversion cable for my tv?

3. How do I find out what types of HD my tv supports? 780, 1080, etc. and what does that all mean?

Thanks for any help.

happiehour.jpeg

composite would be better than VGA for your tv to hook up the 360 (plus the 360 doesn't have a vga port). If you do have an HDMI port, use it, it will give better picture, but component will give you HD also. VGA

A conversion kit would do nothing because you can't take a lower quality source and get a better picture out of it.

To find what HD you have you need to look at the resolution such as 1280x720 (768 for widescreen) would be 720p and 1080 would be 1920x1080 and "p" is progressive (mostly lcds and plasmas) and "I" would be interlaced (tube/crts).

goldenblade995.png

HDMI is better as its purely a digital signal but in the absence of a port the Component cables give pretty good quality.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The HDMI/VGA HiDef (for lack of better name) is definatly a higher quality than a 5 cable compisite. But chances are the idfference will hardly be notable, and I think a 360 only has a 5 cable compisite anyway.