Is the sound blaster X-FI worth it for me?

Nadril

So, little backstory. Recently my sound card's acting up has been getting worse and worse. The problem is, you see, is that I'm using an onboard card (realtek) and I often get a lot of crackles and pops in my sound when I'm playing a graphic intensive game + listening to music, or something like that. I think it's probably just because my motherboard is working hard and that the sound card (since it isn't that great) is suffering.

Now, I'm going to remedy this by just buying a new sound card. I'll probably end up getting it at best buy simply because I don't want to have to wait for the package to come, and sound cards aren't much either way. My question is if the X-FI is really worth it for me over, say, and Audigy 4.

I'm currently just running a 2 speaker setup 99% of the time with the very rare time I use headphones. The speakers are fairly decent (logitech) but are in no way 'top end'. They were maybe 30 bucks or so when I got them 5 months or so ago.

So is the X-FI worth the extra money or am I better of with an Audigy 4? :)

I would have stayed away from the Creative cards. The reason being is that their drivers absolutely suck. You better have Vista or they are even worse (yes XP has worse drivers than Vista).

One of the major issues with my X-fi card (I have the xtreame music) is that it will just cut out and I need to reset the card in the computer (it's says it can't find my sound card if I don't). It is a known driver issue that has not been fixed (it's on the creative forums a lot). There have been a lot of other little quirks too.

I have been going back and forth with my onboard for the past year. I'm currently using my Realtek because it's reliable and I don't have to put up with the **** of Creative.

My problems happen on XP and Vista.

goldenblade995.png

I would have stayed away from the Creative cards. The reason being is that their drivers absolutely suck. You better have Vista or they are even worse (yes XP has worse drivers than Vista).

One of the major issues with my X-fi card (I have the xtreame music) is that it will just cut out and I need to reset the card in the computer (it's says it can't find my sound card if I don't). It is a known driver issue that has not been fixed (it's on the creative forums a lot). There have been a lot of other little quirks too.

I have been going back and forth with my onboard for the past year. I'm currently using my Realtek because it's reliable and I don't have to put up with the **** of Creative.

My problems happen on XP and Vista.

Well I'll report if I have a problem, however I have been having problems with my onboard Realtek for a long time now.

I have never had a problem with any of creative's sound cards. As far as other ones, there really isnt any alternatives to their cards. Most of the other brands are either very small, or they just use creatives chips and their refrence design wit their own label.

I've always thought creative were good.

Most PC's I work on I would just advise getting a mobo or using their mobo with onboard sound over buying a soundcard. As most are "non-codec" on modern motherbards (realtek)

A few years ago the advice on tech/gaming sites was always go for a seperate sound card, but these days a lot of onboards are decent quality (non-codec). So work better and hog system resources much less (more like an average pci sound card)

But as in your case you were having problems with the onboard sound, a card is a must buy really and as the last poster said, there isnt really much choice with brands.

I havent used a creative labs card since a very old soundblaster card long ago, and I rarely fit them ,but when I have the feedback is usually good.

Deep_pain.gif

Co-Founder of KoA over 18's clan. Founded 2002. An RS clan for adults only.

Now Recruiting

Creative is the best. I've been using them for 10 years now and never had 1 problem. My last 2 cards have been the X-fi Xtrememusic and Soundblaster Live! 24-bit, and the 2-3 computers before that have been SB carded aswell.

Whether to get an X-Fi card over an Audigy (I know you already got one), it really depends on whether you're an audiophile or not. Onboard has come a long way, and many gamers claim its just fine. I don't think many would notice a difference (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't in gaming, though I take my music listening more seriously), but it's always nice to have the newest and best. Better support, no worries about it breaking or having it be uncompatible or crackling or anything. I personally woulda either gone with a newer Audigy (4?) over the Xtreme Audio. Can't remember, there's something about it that makes it not as good as the other X-Fi's, and therefore not worth more than an Audigy. Shouldn't matter much though. Can't remember where I found the comparison chart of X-fi cards.

Only problems I've heard of is running older games on Vista. But ALchemy has fixed that for a lot of popular games.

Creative owns.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Totally agree. Creative is great. I just got my new Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Cardfor a few days, this is a wonderful sound card. It sounds great, it's powerful, and the creative potential it facilitates--something not as widely advertised as its gaming and entertainment merits--all combine to make the XtremeGamer card a must have in the arsenal of any serious audio enthusiast, amateur musician, or gamer.

I've had this card for a week about without any problems so far, it really is great. Awesome sound quality, my crackling problem is gone and I really am hearing stuff in my music I haven't heard before. :P