Keylogger protection

wingx128

A firewall would probably help. I'd also have an Antivirus program (such as AVG, Nod 32, or Norton Antivirus), and some anti-spyware protection (Spybot: Search and Destroy or Adaware). You can find links to these in the stickies.

For anti-keylogger, I'm not sure. One good thing to do would be browse the keylogger sticky, however. As a general rule, try not to download executable files ([Caution: Executable File]) unless you are absolutely sure that the site is trustworthy.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

A firewall doesn't prevent a keylogger from actually running but it would prevent the keylogger from sending the logs outward.

Most antivirus packages such as McAfee , AVG, etc all warn you of known keyloggers that are detected on your machine.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Not one I'd trust to actually do its job. You should upgrade to XP. ;)

Or he can just get the standard Firewall/Anti virus and Spyware protection and be just fine.

Just make sure that if you suspect a keylogger to scan with the anti virus and spyware software and it should find it. 99% of the time if you keep them updated it'll find it the moment it hits the system.

There is no need to go back to XP and waste money.

Or he can just get the standard Firewall/Anti virus and Spyware protection and be just fine.

Just make sure that if you suspect a keylogger to scan with the anti virus and spyware software and it should find it. 99% of the time if you keep them updated it'll find it the moment it hits the system.

There is no need to go back to XP and waste money.

He won't always be "just fine", there's plenty of mainstream undetected keyloggers still out there. And we wonder why people are still being "hacked" when they're running their Antivirus/Firewall apps....

Yeah, but then dx10 goes bye-bye

Which is the sole reason I'm running vista on my gaming rig.

I'd agree with you only on the DX10 games, I'd be running it too on my gaming rig except that there are no games out at the moment that provide any massive improvement from DX9 using DX10, most are just slightly modded DX9 games. Certainly not enough pull for me to want to get the performance drain that is Vista, accompanied by SP1 in 2008 which actually makes it even slower.

He won't always be "just fine", there's plenty of mainstream undetected keyloggers still out there. And we wonder why people are still being "hacked" when they're running their Antivirus/Firewall apps....

Well a large part of internet security is being smart, and no OS or program is going to help you with that.

Is it a safe link? Surprised

You guys are always saying how you shouldn't open anything until you know if it's safe.

It is safe to say that if it is recommended by someone here and not immediately deleted it's safe.

Do not mix two programs together whatever you do

Because if you do so you then run the risk of the two programs cancelling each other out,

E.g. An incoming piece of non-malicious data is trying to enter your computer and your Norton Internet security is saying no it will not let it through, however, your newly installed SpyBot Search & Destroy is saying that it is non-malicious therefore posses no threat and should be let through. This contradiction then causes the programs to cancel each other out, therefore they will disconnect for 5 seconds I believe, potentially allowing other malicious pieces of data through and neither norton nor SpyBot would be aware of this

Remember to stick to one or the other. Out of these two I'd stick with Norton. If you're looking for a free anti-virus I suggest AVG as it's the most regularly updated free piece :)

liverdh1.jpg

Help me starting out again - Give YOUR advice!

If you're collecting in game "hyt's" send me a message here or in game :D

Because if you do so you then run the risk of the two programs cancelling each other out,

E.g. An incoming piece of non-malicious data is trying to enter your computer and your Norton Internet security is saying no it will not let it through, however, your newly installed SpyBot Search & Destroy is saying that it is non-malicious therefore posses no threat and should be let through. This contradiction then causes the programs to cancel each other out, therefore they will disconnect for 5 seconds I believe, potentially allowing other malicious pieces of data through and neither norton nor SpyBot would be aware of this

Remember to stick to one or the other. Out of these two I'd stick with Norton. If you're looking for a free anti-virus I suggest AVG as it's the most regularly updated free piece :)

This is generally true, but spybot search and destroy is not a typical anti-virus at all. It's only goal is to catch spyware, and more times than not that includes any kind of possible keyloggers.

The two don't cancel each other out as if you were to run two actual anti virus's together, such as Norton and AVG.

Well a large part of internet security is being smart, and no OS or program is going to help you with that.

I'm aware of that but that wasn't the point I was making. Sorry if i seem abrupt, I need more sleep.

Is it a safe link? Surprised

You guys are always saying how you shouldn't open anything until you know if it's safe.

It is safe to say that if it is recommended by someone here and not immediately deleted it's safe.

@SERG_Troy - I'm staff here at TIF, and I actually run the "Keylogger Help" subforum of "Tech and Computers", so yeah, it's a safe link.

There is not going to be a '5 second' hole. That's an eternity when it comes to processor cycles. Spybot is not going to go overriding nortons block on a peices of data, ever. If norton decides to block it, it's getting blocked because it gets integrated farther into the OS. Spybot can go and try to restore it, but that'll at most end with the two fighting over the peice of data and the system locking up do to the loop at worse. The whole scenario wouldn't happen in the first place because the two target completely different types of software, if norton ever manages to catch anything for them to fight over.