reinstalling an OS

Alex_Ewan_1

HI,

I want to install a new hdd in my laptop. I have it and all taht but i need to get an os on it.

However I bought vista via microsoft website and have no disc. Can I install XP form recover disc and then download vista again from website and use serial code I got when originally buying vista?

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

So many people ask the problem about "recovery disc" and "installation disc"

see here for more details, below for condensed version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_partition

recovery disc = a disc which contains part of the Windows installation program, and another part is in a hidden partition in the harddisk. According to microsoft policy, OEM manufacturers (that is, companies like IBM/Acer/Toshiba/HP/... which sells you the PC with system already INSTALLED) are not allowed to give you the installation disc but only a recovery disc in the way that you cannot use the recovery disc to install the Windows into another unlicensed machine, so, sorry NO, since you don't have that hidden partition, unless you've backup the whole system using softwares like ghost, which makes an image of your system

installation disc = retail version / OEM version (for XP only). If you have the disc, and the key, you can install it everywhere, in every harddisk you like.

So, you cannot use a recovery disc to get back your XP and try to download that copy

What I will recommend you to do, is to ask a friend or download a copy of Windows Vista by Bit Torrent. Don't use the illegal key that comes from that copy (note that some illegal copies will automatically install the key or crack the windows for you, and this is something that you should avoid). In the installation process, you can choose the version and then enter your CD Key. In this way, you can get back your purchased Vista (Assume that you bought a retail version)

Currently taking a break from Runescape

In theory, that should work fine. Whether or not it actually does will be interesting to see ;)

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I would second borrowing a copy / downloading it.

The only problem I see is we don't know if it's a full copy / upgrade copy yet. I don't see it being a full copy either because that makes no sense to download online.

Also, I don't know / don't think an upgrade serial number would work or not for a full version.

If you bought an upgrade copy, here is how you should do it

Use Norton Ghost / Acronis True Image (any disc imaging software you have) to make an image of your old Windows XP system

Then, use the image to transfer your Windows XP system to the new harddisk

Finally, you can download that silly update pack from Microsoft, and do the upgrade yourself (Why can't they send you a DVD? That's stupid)

Someone told me you can circumvent that silly update by the followings --- install Windows Vista, don't use your key yet, then reinstall again, this time use your key, then you will successfully upgrade Vista to Vista! Not sure whether this works anymore, through

AAH I forgot that there is an easlier method

If your old harddisk is still in working condition, upgrade it to Vista, make an harddisk image and transfer it to the new harddisk. Then use that imaging software again to recover that. That is the easiest, sure fire way to do it. Your harddisk image can also be copied into a new partition to facilitate later recoveries

First, divide your new harddisk into 2 or more partitions, one for your Vista, one for backup & the image

Use boot discs to enter system, then transfer image to the second partition

Use the boot disc of imaging software to boot, use your image to recovery your Vista to C:/

The short answer to your question is "no", as explained earlier, a recovery disc is part CD, part partition on your other hard disk, and you cannot use the recovery disc to (re)install the OS.

The best solution would be to find a friend that has a copy of Vista (your version) OEM, borrow the disc, and use the key on the bottom of the laptop.

I wouldn't ghost the machine for the simple reason that it's not going to be worth the stress and aggravation of the whole ritual.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

AAH I forgot that there is an easlier method

If your old harddisk is still in working condition, upgrade it to Vista, make an harddisk image and transfer it to the new harddisk. Then use that imaging software again to recover that. That is the easiest, sure fire way to do it. Your harddisk image can also be copied into a new partition to facilitate later recoveries

First, divide your new harddisk into 2 or more partitions, one for your Vista, one for backup & the image

Use boot discs to enter system, then transfer image to the second partition

Use the boot disc of imaging software to boot, use your image to recovery your Vista to C:/

Got vista already on old hdd, its a laptop btw. How do I make hdd image etc...?

Actually gonna try blossom's idea. Useing the legit serial code I paid for. BTW its vista ultimate 32bit.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!