Sell a Laptop - Buy a Desktop

Fleetsy

Okay, after finding out that I can't upgrade my graphics card on my laptop, I've been considering buying a Desktop PC. So it'd be less mobile, but more reliable. The one I currently have my eye on is this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-D530-CM ... .m14.l1308

Plus this monitor: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharp-LL-H1513-H- ... .m14.l1308

They both look fairly reliable, and equal to my laptop. But I have a few problems before I can start buying a new PC. First up, how much would I price my current laptop? It has 448MB RAM, 1.73 Ghz, and a SiS Mirage 3 Graphics 64MB Card. It's running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1, Build 2600. Is there a rough price for this type of laptop? My second problem is choice of Desktop PC. I hope to get around £200 for my laptop, and then buy a Desktop for £150 and a Monitor for £50 off E-Bay. Is this accurate? Anyone have any ideas? Heeeelp me? >_<

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

argh, pre-built PC's, honestly your not going to be able to run any modern games with 512mb ram, 2.8ghz P4 without a graphics card, go to your prefered online computer parts shop and look around, get a minimum of a dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 8600GT, and 250gb+ hard drive.

EDIT: upon looking at that ebay pc, it is ancient, most modern media come on DVD's now and CD drives are practically obsolete and most good computer parts companies have 1+ year or even lifetime warrantees, but its 64pounds for a reason...

eggzs.png

I'd sooner choose death than use a Compaq... If you're going to buy a desktop, you \have\ to spend more to get a good one, at least in my experience. Cheap desktops tend to be terribly unbalanced component-wise and also have other issues. (Dell entry and mid-level desktops are a fine example of this)

Also, I lol'd at the way the person is trying to sell that PC as a super machine. It's far from it, I mean, 512MB RAM, a non dual-core P4, 40GB HDD and onboard graphics + sound... sure, they offer upgrades but by the time you get it up to your needs you'd have gone over your budget by a long shot.

As for the laptop... I'd say you'd be lucky to get past £50 on it, if the processor in question is a Celeron. I certainly wouldn't buy it for more than £65, and I'm being generous even then. If it's a Turion/C2D I'd say closer to £100, but yeah, you won't get £200 for it.

What exactly do you plan to do with the desktop? Light gaming, Internet, schoolwork? Heavier, more intense usage? I won't link to any until I know exactly what you want out of it.

argh, pre-built PC's, honestly your not going to be able to run any modern games with 512mb ram, 2.8ghz P4 without a graphics card, go to your prefered online computer parts shop and look around, get a minimum of a dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 8600GT, and 250gb+ hard drive.

EDIT: upon looking at that ebay pc, it is ancient, most modern media come on DVD's now and CD drives are practically obsolete and most good computer parts companies have 1+ year or even lifetime warrantees, but its 64pounds for a reason...

I noticed this as well.

Even if your on a tight budget and don't need a super machine I still recommend a dual core processor (any will do), 1GB of ram, and and any dedicated graphics card if all you want to do is play Runescape HD (you could even get by with onboard). This shouldn't be too expensive if your looking on ebay.

goldenblade995.png

If I can't get more than £65 for my laptop, then I don't think it's worth selling. I bought it for a package deal in a Sale, in which I got the laptop, a printer, a case, and a mouse, for £299. I think I'll have to make do with my Laptop for now. But I'll save up some cash, and then look around again.

Thanks for the help guys, any more views are welcome.

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08