New to GIMP

Evaluate

As I'm getting older, I figured it was time to start gaining experience for my future. Seeing as I want to deal with graphics in the future (preferably for video games), I looked into software to get me a little practice with this. Here on the forums I found software commonly used by Tip.It artists, and I looked through the programs. I don't have enough money to purchase any of the super advanced software, so I figured I'd download GIMP.

My question to you is, are there any tutorials for GIMP, particularly to learn the basics. If so, feel free to post links.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

I didn't know Gimptalk.

But at DevArt you will also find many tutorials.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Try http://www.deviantart.com

And don't be fooled by Gimp's free attitude. IN the right hands it can be as, and sometimes more, powerful than photoshop. The top signature makers here use the gimp, including I.

Heres what I suggest to start off. Before you open a tut. Open a blank canvas, with a white background. Then get to familiarise with all the features, like smudging and blurry, burning, gradient maps, filters and the like.

Make sure you open the easy tutorials. Download brushes from places like http://www.deviantart.com. In fact, if someone could post thru's brush set that would be great.

So make sure you sign up to DA, familiarise your self with the community. Always ask for C/C (Constructive Critism) and not ratings, as it will hel you learn, and listen to us at the Gallery!

Oh, I almost forgot, but to load things onto teh intrawebz, sign yourself up to www.Imageshack.com, so you can show the gallery, and the world your graphics.

Phew!

lampost_sig_stark.png

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll be sure to take your advice. I do have a couple questions/requests for anyone who may know.

Are the any specific brushes that I will use more often than others, or that are basically a necessity?

Are there any specific tutorials/techniques that I should learn before others?

The last thing I have to ask I've tried to figure out, but I can't seem to do so. The tutorials I've attempted so far suggest using specific plug-ins to help make the image look better. The help section says I can use them just like other tools, but they're not listed anywhere I've looked. I'm pretty sure I have the plug-ins available, since they are listed in the plug-in browser. Can anyone shed some light on this?

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

What you are reffering to is probably found under "filters" in the toolbar on the top of your image. There's a bunch of sub-menus in there. Really familiarize yourself with these filters - they're the best part about the GIMP :) :thumbup:

-Kaosmerchant

sig1.gif

Send me a PM if you'd like any style of sig done - I'd be glad to help you out.

Gl starting off. Personally i like to learn as I go, im also just starting sig making. I usually take a few colours, paint random (big) lines with brushes, and smudge it around...Gives a cool backbround, IMO.

Gl with sig making :)

In fact, if someone could post thru's brush set that would be great.

Brushes

Okay, first of all, welcome to the graphics community. There are loads of free tutorials for GIMP. Try GimpTalk, DeviantArt or the tutorials section of PlanetRenders Heck, Thruitall has a few tutorials as well as three brush packs (look above for link).

As Shiny said, GIMP is a wonderful program and it is FREE. And as he tends to say in every single post involving GIMP, "Some of the best signature makers here use GIMP." GIMP tends to be better for signatures (although I've seen better PS'ers). But PhotoShop is the industry standard for a reason. It's just that good. But GIMP can do pretty much the same job. Both programs have their ups and downs.

You're going to want to familarise yourself with the program. As Shiny suggested, try playing around with all the different tools before looking at tutorials. Brushes aren't the only way to create "effects". I only use brushes for light sources, smudging and clipping masks.

Well, good luck. Keep reading tutorials and playing around with different settings on different tools if you get stuck. It can be a bit tough in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it as long as you don't give up.

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

Are the any specific brushes that I will use more often than others, or that are basically a necessity?

Defaults are great for smudging. Try not to rely too much on cutom brush sets that other people made, you can use them, but it's generally better to make backgrounds/effects using the smudge tool and/or stocks, C4Ds, etc., but you'll probably learn that as you go.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this should be in the questions sticky, but I'll leave it up to mods to decide on that since this thread could have some discussion value.

penguin.gif

pixel avvy by me deviantART

And from someone whos progressed from Gimp to photoshop.Gimp is a more diluted version of photoshop in that the quality of effects, no layer tearing etc and its not as user freindly but you can replicate a lot of results in photoshop providing your experienced and can work around the problems.

tifsdac6mc.gif