I want to buy a console but .. TOPIC CHANGED

fubol

It means that the source code is not owned by anyone, so you are free to take it and edit it however you want.

I think that's right.

hmm :(

Was hoping for it to be free :s

Could this ever happen :P?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would never be free, since it's a physical product, it needs to be manufactured and transported etc, this all costs money.

ok :P

Could it ever go to 150 or something , 250 is quite expensive for what it is ? or not?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

Open source means that you are free to do anything with it you like, unlike the PSP which you have to hack to enable you to run your own code on it. And Sony keep updating the firmware to prevent this from happening. Both the Wiz and the Pandora are supported by a huge community and the Pandora has a very interesting background. Basically it was born from the very community that supports it as the manufacturer asked us what we wanted in a console and they designed it from the ground up. I have one of pre-order already and hope to get it before Christmas. GPH the makers of the Wiz gave me a free pre-production model as I am helping them refine the firmware plus I allowed them to use one of my games supplied with it. I did create a thread asking for flash game coders who were interested in getting a free Wiz to let me know if GPH liked the game they said they would give you a Wiz as a thank you gesture.

The Wiz and the Pandora both run Linux, and the Pandora will be able to run KDE or gnome too. There are no restrictions on these devices, and there's a huge amount of software and emulators available for them. The Pandora will be able to emulate an Amiga and Playstation 1 perfectly. Plus all the mega 3D games that will be written for it by the community makes the Pandora the most powerful handheld device currently available. And the fact the 99% of the software available for it will be free makes it a very attractive device :)

What do you think about the price?

The wiz is only £120 so that's quite cheap, especially as it has an OLED screen.

The Pandora is about £200, which for a UMPC is very good.

And don't forget you will probably never have to pay for any software for these systems, and both are more powerful than a PSP!

The Pandora looks extremely cool in my eyes but the wiz doesn't look cool in my eyes ?

If you convince me that it's cool , i might try it , otherwise i might go for the pandora ..

For example : the wiz games are OLD , that i don't like :s

And is it possible to connect with the wiz to your computer with a cable (to put video's or music on it)?

And another thing i couldn't find .. how much 'hard drive' memory does the wiz has?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

The Pandora looks extremely cool in my eyes but the wiz doesn't look cool in my eyes ?

If you convince me that it's cool , i might try it , otherwise i might go for the pandora ..

For example : the wiz games are OLD , that i don't like :s

And is it possible to connect with the wiz to your computer with a cable (to put video's or music on it)?

And another thing i couldn't find .. how much 'hard drive' memory does the wiz has?

The Wiz uses Internal NAND and SD cards as storage, so disc space is very cheap, to load your data onto the wiz you can either use an SD card reader, or you can connect it to a USB port, you can also recharge the Wiz via USB.

It can play movies, MP3s and view images, plus you can use it as an e-book and e-comic. It's also got a built in scheduler and it plays Flash 7 games. Although the device is quite small it's screen is awesome, you can use it in daylight as it's an OLED touchscreen.

Initially on lauch there won't be a huge amount of software available, but this will grow with time as the community writes them, but it does come with a bunch of games on its internal NAND.

For an idea of the software that could be available, take a look HERE. That's the file archive for the Wiz's Predecessor the GP2X. I am betting most of that will be ported across.

I do agree though that the Pandora is the cooler of the two, but also a lot more expensive.

I can't find a page on where to order the wiz or pre-order the pandora?

And when do you think the pandora will get to its final release?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Hm, i'd still get a new graphics card for the computer or a xbox 360... But that's me.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I just don't see the pandora being something that a person who hates PC gaming would want, honestly.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, could you explain more?

Because of it's open source nature. People who dislike PC gaming usually don't want to have to mess around with that kind of stuff, it's easier to just buy a game and pop it in and go.

And in all honesty the pandora is pretty much just a tiny PC with linux. I'd think the OP would want a console and not a handheld PC.

I just don't see the pandora being something that a person who hates PC gaming would want, honestly.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, could you explain more?

Because of it's open source nature. People who dislike PC gaming usually don't want to have to mess around with that kind of stuff, it's easier to just buy a game and pop it in and go.

And in all honesty the pandora is pretty much just a tiny PC with linux. I'd think the OP would want a console and not a handheld PC.

Yes nadril your right , but i don't like pc gaming cus i wanted to try something else ... (i aint am a hardcore gamer)

Now , I know quite some stuff of computer (even if i say it myself :P ) and my intrests change ALOT :D

Like yesterday , I was watching video tutorials of Adobe after effects ...

The pandora is definently something i would like to put my hands on so .. topic changed :D

The first batch of 4000 pandoras have already gotten snapped up, that's how cool they are, but the 2nd batch should be ready in the new year.

With the 2nd batch you mean final release or another 'beta' version ?

And is it worth the money ?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

I'd say the Pandora is worth the money, it looks excellent.

By second batch, Clare means the second wave of consoles to be manufactured. Things like that are made in groups at a time, not continuous production.

spacescenev24.jpg

I'd say the Pandora is worth the money, it looks excellent.

By second batch, Clare means the second wave of consoles to be manufactured. Things like that are made in groups at a time, not continuous production.

Ye , but i want to make sure it's close to it's final version ..

For example : I buy one and a week later it has 512mb ram instead of 256

I will play games on it , sure . But the option to take a pc , that's so little like the pandora , is MUCH cooler in my eyes

So annyone trying it?

I'm 80% sure i will :D

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

The Pandora of the first batch is the finished product, they just decided to make 3000 units initially to test the waters so to speak. As soon as they opened the pre order page the 3000 were snapped up really quickly so they decided to up the total to 4000, and within a week or so the lot had sold out. They will making the next batch early in the new year.

I am one of the lucky ones who have already pre-ordered, so I hope to get mine sometime in December, and I can't wait! Imagine a full computer with Wifi, Bluetooth, 2xSD slots, 3D hardware, touchscreen, full gaming controls, qwerty keyboard, 256mb memory, mega battery life and all in a package slightly bigger than an original NDS. Amazing!

JEEZ , I WANT ONE!!!

Is there a way to pre-order :s ?

I want to make sure that i don't miss the 2nd batch and have to wait 'till april 2009 :? :x

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

JEEZ , I WANT ONE!!!

I want to make sure that i don't miss the 2nd batch and have to wait 'till april 2009 :? :x

Unfortunately you will have to wait until they open the 2nd batch pre-order pages which will be early 2009, and I reckon there will be enough to go around so don't worry.

What I can't wait for is being able to play Doom 3 and Quake 4 on it as the source code for them are being released, and the Pandora will be able to handle them with ease! :)

The GP2X (The predecessor to the Wiz) can already play Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen etc, and that doesn't even have any 3D hardware.

JEEZ , I WANT ONE!!!

Unfortunately you will have to wait until they open the 2nd batch pre-order pages which will be early 2009, and I reckon there will be enough to go around so don't worry.

What I can't wait for is being able to play Doom 3 and Quake 4 on it as the source code for them are being released, and the Pandora will be able to handle them with ease! :)

The GP2X (The predecessor to the Wiz) can already play Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen etc, and that doesn't even have any 3D hardware.

So early 2009 = january ; february ...

You say "pre-order" , does that mean i have to wait another 4 months for it to arrive :|

When will yours arrive ?

There are roughly 20k peaple registered to pandora forums so you think they'll make that much? :P

And a very important question ...

Does the Pandora comes with Linux and pre installed games cus i don't get the simulator stuff ... and i don't want to mess it up at all (the pandora)

And like the gp2x you need to use a sd card as "hard drive" ?

For the source code , how would you instal quake 4 on the pandora cus that game pwnz :D

Sorry for that much questions , but i want to make sure it's worth it , i'm only 16 so i can use all money ;)

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

So early 2009 = january ; february ...

You say "pre-order" , does that mean i have to wait another 4 months for it to arrive :|

When will yours arrive ?

I expect mine is going to arrive during December, hopefully there won't be any hold ups, and no you won't have to wait as the production line will be ready to go. My hold up is because this is totally new!

There are roughly 20k peaple registered to pandora forums so you think they'll make that much? :P

Yes there are a lot of forum members, but don't forget that the forums cover more than just the Pandora, they cover the following consoles, GP32, GP2X, Wiz and Pandora, and not all want or more to the point can afford a Pandora.

And a very important question ...

Does the Pandora comes with Linux and pre installed games cus i don't get the simulator stuff ... and i don't want to mess it up at all (the pandora)

Linux is installed by default on the NAND and that's what it boots off, I am pretty sure it will come with a bunch of stuff pre installed on it. Also you will be able to put stuff on SD cards such as Apps, Games, Movies, Music etc...

And like the gp2x you need to use a sd card as "hard drive" ?

For the source code , how would you instal quake 4 on the pandora cus that game pwnz :D

Sorry for that much questions , but i want to make sure it's worth it , i'm only 16 so i can use all money ;)

Yep the Pandora uses cheap SD cards as disc space. That means you can have a bunch of disk space on a load of different cards, also the Pandora has 2 SD card slots, so you can use 2 of the little devils at the same time :) It does have another space which is NAND based, this is what it boots off and why the Pandora is un-brickable.

What happens with things like Quake 4 is when the source code is released some clever coder recompiles and tweaks it specifically for the Pandora, you place the quake 4 files in a folder and run it. The only thing you need from the original Q4 disk will be the maps data etc. All of this info is in a readme file with Q4 for the Pandora. I am sure Q4 and Doom 3 will be ported, you will be amazed at what our devs can do. you're going to see some pretty amazing stuff on this console, and don't forget you can connect it to your TV via an S-Video cable too :)

and don't forget you can connect it to your TV via an S-Video cable too :)

Does it come with that :P

And could i use an USB stick as memory to :?:

As i have one of 8gb , it could be handy :)

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

and don't forget you can connect it to your TV via an S-Video cable too :)

Does it come with that :P

And could i use an USB stick as memory to :?:

As i have one of 8gb , it could be handy :)

As far as I know it does come with the cable allowing you to connect to any S-Video input.

You will be able to use a variety of external USB devices as this console is a true Linux distro. Anything that can be used with Linux can be used with the Pandora, and that includes external USB Hard Drives. However, you may need separate power for the external devices, but a USB memory stick can be powered from the Pandora itself, so the answer is yep!

Don't forget this is a true mini Linux console, not cut down. I bet someone will have Gnome/KDE running on it within a month after thy get it, this is what the community is like, it's soo much fun. Imagine your friends going "Meh, what a DS?" and you opening it up, WOW factor or what!

Thank you very much for all your help , the Pandora is definantly (sp?) worth the money , pocket pc , games , mp3 and mp4 in one!

When yours arrive , PM me on TIF for sure ;)

And eh .. what is your name on the Pandora forums (i asume you are registered :) ) ?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy