Upgrading PC (For GTA IV)

assassin_696

Basically I'm looking to spend a bit of money on my slightly sluggish PC so it can handle GTA IV reasonably well. I really have no clue when it comes to a lot of these things, so I don't know where the best place to spend money is. I think my computer probably meets the minimum performance requirements but I don't want it constantly freezing.

These are my system stats.

• Dell Optiplex GX620

Intel ®

Pentium ® D CPU 2.80GHz, 2.79 GHz 1.00GB of RAM

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

256MB ATI Radeon X600

150GB HD with 31 GB free

I suspect the graphics card might be letting me down, but maybe not. If you could suggest the most cost effective way to upgrade it so that it handles the game better then it'd be much appreciated. Also, if you think it'll be fine with the game say and i'll leave it as it is. I don't want to spend too much because i'll probably buy a new laptop next year anyway.

The system requirements are listed below.

[hide=]Minimum System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz

* Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space

* Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz

* Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)

* 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space

* Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870[/hide]

EDIT: Reading through various online reviews it seems like this is far more of a resource hog than was made out originally and is quite buggy. Hopefully the issues are being tweaked, i'm in no rush to buy it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Amount of ram (and ddr or ddr2)?

Your graphics card is the one that'll bottleneck the most (but also the cpu). Btw, your card is pci-e, right?

Dunno your budget, but this card would be the most price/performance (you need a better cpu if you want faster cards): Radeon HD 4670 512MB - 70$ after rebate (dunno where you live)

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

1GB, DDR2 dual core. Pretty sure my card is pci-e but i'm not sure, anyway I can find out?

I'm in the UK, sorry I forgot to mention that. If you want a budget I'd say anywhere up to £100 if necessary and worth it but as little as I can get away with realistically.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

you card should be pci-e.

just in case have a look inside. someone else will be able to give you a pic to look at so you can amke sure its pcie, i cant find one lol.

the other main thing you need is more ram. if you have ddr2 that shouldn't be a very expensive upgrade, but ddr is alot more expensive.

1gb dual core? Do you mean dual channel (like 512+512)?

I'd recommend 2gb ram.

HD4670 512MB - 72£ (inc.vat), There's some other card a bit cheaper, but they don't perform well. This really is most price/performance. 9500gt is a bit cheaper, but it doesn't perform well (i have a 8600gt overclocked which performs about the same as the 9500gt, playing games at 1024x768 on medium to get a decent frame rate, which isn't fun).

I'm asking about pci-e, because i don't know if they made your card in agp also.

Download cpu-z - http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php , open up and check "mainboard" and you'll see "graphics interface", check what it says on "version". Then go to "spd", and you'll have two or more slots there, see if they are all busy or if there's one available (no info on one slot)... Just in case you don't know.

The GTA IV spec sheet it misleading. It suggests that a 7900 is worse than an 8600GT and that the 8600GT is equivalent to a HD3870 which in fact [cabbage]s on the 8600GT.

GTA IV is also a resource hog and people currently with 4870's and E8500's are experiencing slow downs and the like so I would asssume a HD4670 will not be adequate if you want playable frame rates and the graphics are comparable to the ones at the back of the box.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthrea ... ost1089051

If you want an enjoyable experience from GTA with graphics equal to or better than the console versions, a complete overhaul of your PC will be in order, such as upgrading to a E8400, >2gb RAM, and a graphics card with greater than 512mb of memory with the horsepower to push along the pixels as the draw distance needs alot of memory to store the textures etc (GTX260, HD4850...).

If your willing to spend this much money just for GTA, might as well just buy an Xbox 360 and play it on there, save you the hassle of assembling, troubleshooting for incompatibilities, no random crashes etc.

eggzs.png

Yes, but i can't recommend anything else since he'd then need a new cpu also.

But it depends on what settings people play on too. I am sure that if people turn down their settings a little bit for this game, it'd run smoother.

But i know what you're talking about, in another hardware forum, there are similar disscussions about gta4.