Reel Big Fish

Guest GhostRanger

Meh, i don't really think much to Reel Big Fish either. On the whole, I don't think the songs i've heard are up to much.

Just because they do something funny onstage doesn't make them the best live band ever, they actually have to sound good, too. And they don't. Go listen to bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, and Oasis live and you'll see what I mean.

Am I correct in assuming that you said the killers were a good band? I cannot stand them. Mr. Brightside is just like one continuous verse. Considering singles are generally supposed to represent bands well, I refuse to listen to the rest of the albums. I've heard three songs and Somebody Told Me has just as stupid lyrics as any RBF song, but RBF actually makes it fun and has style.

Guest GhostRanger

Meh, i don't really think much to Reel Big Fish either. On the whole, I don't think the songs i've heard are up to much.

Just because they do something funny onstage doesn't make them the best live band ever, they actually have to sound good, too. And they don't. Go listen to bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, and Oasis live and you'll see what I mean.

Am I correct in assuming that you said the killers were a good band? I cannot stand them. Mr. Brightside is just like one continuous verse. Considering singles are generally supposed to represent bands well, I refuse to listen to the rest of the albums. I've heard three songs and Somebody Told Me has just as stupid lyrics as any RBF song, but RBF actually makes it fun and has style.

Exacttttttly! RBF makes a lot of their lyrics "stupid" on purpose. Their songs are fun(ny) to listen to.

Well whether or not their sound is good is an opinion, and I obviously like the sound of RBF.

But, just so you know, I like Franz Ferdinand, so you're not telling me anything new. :P

Their brilliant lyrics repetoire includes the line: "Talking about the big monkey man"

That's a cheap shot and you know it. You can take any band and pull lyrics out and make them sound dumb standing alone.

Yeah, but what essentially you were saying is that because they did something amusing onstage, they were automatically brilliant, no matter how crap the performace actually was. Of course, you liking RBF is fine by me, but just doing something funny onstage doesn't make them brilliant. And honestly, the "talking about the big monkey man" lyric is one of the worst lines i've ever heard, lol.

Does it really matter if it is a continuous verse? It makes it sound better in my opinion. And yes, Somebody Told Me has silly lyrics, and to be honest, I don't think its that great a song anyway. But i'd recommend you give Hot Fuss a listen, you might just change your opinion....

A little off topic, but on the oasis live matter:

I saw them on Saturday night (for the second time), and they are probably in the top 3 of my favourite live performances of all time. Considering the fact that i've been to 6 or 7 festivals and a fair few other gigs over the past 5/6 years (totalling probably over 100 well known, well established bands), that's a pretty high accolade.

I do agree with Matt though, we both saw them at glastonbury last year and they weren't on form at all really - i'm just glad i saw them on Saturday when they were really on top of their game.

As far as RBF, not really my style. I've liked a few ska songs, but other than Less Than Jake, i can't say i'm a huge fan of the genre.

Kirk and Lars I could handle. At the same time.

Guest GhostRanger
Yeah, but what essentially you were saying is that because they did something amusing onstage, they were automatically brilliant, no matter how crap the performace actually was. Of course, you liking RBF is fine by me, but just doing something funny onstage doesn't make them brilliant.

No, that's not what I'm "essentially" saying. I never even used the word brilliant.

I obviously love their music or I wouldn't have gone to their concert. The amusing and entertaining things they did on stage added to their awesome music, makes for a great live band. I never once said that they are brilliant or a great live band based soley on something they did on stage.

"Essentially," RBF is an awesome band that plays amazing music, and their performance on stage was spectacular. There, I've spelled everything out for you so you can stop making ridiculous assumptions.

Yeah, but what essentially you were saying is that because they did something amusing onstage, they were automatically brilliant, no matter how crap the performace actually was. Of course, you liking RBF is fine by me, but just doing something funny onstage doesn't make them brilliant.

No, that's not what I'm "essentially" saying. I never even used the word brilliant.

I obviously love their music or I wouldn't have gone to their concert. The amusing and entertaining things they did on stage added to their awesome music, makes for a great live band. I never once said that they are brilliant or a great live band based soley on something they did on stage.

"Essentially," RBF is an awesome band that plays amazing music, and their performance on stage was spectacular. There, I've spelled everything out for you so you can stop making ridiculous assumptions.

No, you didn't use the word brilliant. You went one better and called them the best live band by far. Anyway, the manner in which you were raving about them, I was right to make assumptions. Not once did you praise how brilliant they were musically. Just because you like them, doesn't mean they will put in a brilliant performace, as Rizla said, Oasis' performance at Glastonbury last year was shoddy. But now that you've finally said they were 'awesome' live, we can now put the whole topic to rest, can't we?

Guest GhostRanger

No, you didn't use the word brilliant. You went one better and called them the best live band by far. Anyway, the manner in which you were raving about them, I was right to make assumptions. Not once did you praise how brilliant they were musically. Just because you like them, doesn't mean they will put in a brilliant performace, as Rizla said, Oasis' performance at Glastonbury last year was shoddy. But now that you've finally said they were 'awesome' live, we can now put the whole topic to rest, can't we?

I made an assumption too, I assume you had half of a brain.

I could name tons of reasons as to why RBF is the best band to see live, but considering this topic wasn't started as a debate, I didn't feel the reason to name all of them. I assumed you had the intellect to realize that I thought their music was also good considering I paid money to see them, but instead, you seemed unable to make that connection and decided to pick at my words.

Can't we all just get along? :D I actually never listend to RBF untill now, and they're actually quite good, thanks for telling me about them. I've never been to any concerts so I wouldn't know about what bands are good live and stuff.

But whoever said The Killers suck is not right in my opinon. Hot Fuss is one of my favorite albums of all time, say what you want but I do think it is.

Guest GhostRanger
Can't we all just get along? :D I actually never listend to RBF untill now, and they're actually quite good, thanks for telling me about them. I've never been to any concerts so I wouldn't know about what bands are good live and stuff.

But whoever said The Killers suck is not right in my opinon. Hot Fuss is one of my favorite albums of all time, say what you want but I do think it is.

Which album did you listen to?

(I'm gonna get flamed by all hardcore RBF fans) My favorite is Cheer Up!