Graphics Cards

Laura

So, I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 518 (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&oc=DDDOOH3) (Quad Core Q6600), and while I know people will say to build my own computer, I don't feel comfortable with it. So, Dell wants $60 for an ATI Raedon 3450, but I found that on Newegg for $20-30. So my question, should I go with the $60 3450, or buy another from Newegg for $60 that's better.

If I should buy from Newegg, what would you suggest? I'm looking for something with VGA and DVI as well as HDMI. I'm just not sure what makes a graphics card better than another, such as:

Core clock

Stream Processors

Memory Clock

DirectX

OpenGL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%204026&name=$50%20-%20$75

Also, is putting in a GPU easy, like memory? Oh, and my budget is kind of limited, so I was thinking $70 should be the max. :?

This is a bit off topic, but I was thinking that this monitor was a sweet deal, am I right (I was looking for a new one anyways)? Is there any benefit using an HDMI cable with it, rather than DVI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Look at the amount of transistors (a good card will have 300-1000m) and memory clock [working frequency]. OpenGL support is included in just about every chipset. Only few games require DX 10.1 so that shouldn't be the major deciding factor.

Also, is putting in a GPU easy, like memory? Oh, and my budget is kind of limited, so I was thinking $70 should be the max.

If you buy a very powerful card it will require it's own power supply, but in general, installing the card in the AGP slot is something even a child could do.

Is there any benefit using an HDMI cable with it, rather than DVI?

DVI and HDMI are the same thing and are encoded in the same way, they just use a different connector (HDMI also carries audio). You can connect DVI to HDMI and the other way around without any kind of converter. In reality there is no performance difference. Some devices like your monitor may transmit better quality image through either one of them, but they are essentially identical.

This is a bit off topic, but I was thinking that this monitor was a sweet deal, am I right (I was looking for a new one anyways)?

You can get a 22" Acer monitor for 30 bucks less on Newegg.

while I know people will say to build my own computer, I don't feel comfortable with it. So, Dell wants $60 for an ATI Raedon 3450, but I found that on Newegg for $20-30. So my question, should I go with the $60 3450, or buy another from Newegg for $60 that's better.

Get Diamond Viper Radeon 3450, it costs $38 and is identical to the one offered by Dell.

You can also alternatively get a significantly better Sapphire Radeon 512MB card for $57.

I don't know if you'd brake the warranty by putting it in yourself, but you'd save 30$ as you say if you buy it from newegg or such a shop.

Yes you can choose a better card, but then you'd need to change the psu too, since companies like Dell only put in the minimal required psu so it runs stable (i dont think they change the psu just for 3450 which doesn't use much power).

And it's easy, locate the pci-e lane, (if theres anything covering the pci-e interferance such as plastic just remove it) push the card into the slot gently with even power on both sides, lock it by screwing the screw into the the hole in the case, check that it's properly attached and then put the side-case back on (ground yourself before doing this, and if you're worried about statics you can buy a esd wrist strap and clip it onto the chassi-metal).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121287

Runs a little bit cooler than 3450 (not that these card run hot at all but an improvement never the less), hdmi out.

Cards like these are not gaming cards tho.

The only difference i know of between hdmi and dvi is that hdmi carries sound too while dvi doesn't.

ATI and Nvidia uses different techniques for their cards, so one can not look at, say the sp's, to try and find which one is faster than the other.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Look at the amount of transistors (a good card will have 300-1000m) and memory clock [working frequency]. OpenGL support is included in just about every chipset. Only few games require DX 10.1 so that shouldn't be the major deciding factor.

Also, is putting in a GPU easy, like memory? Oh, and my budget is kind of limited, so I was thinking $70 should be the max.

If you buy a very powerful card it will require it's own power supply, but in general, installing the card in the AGP slot is something even a child could do.

Is there any benefit using an HDMI cable with it, rather than DVI?

DVI and HDMI are the same thing and are encoded in the same way, they just use a different connector (HDMI also carries audio). You can connect DVI to HDMI and the other way around without any kind of converter. In reality there is no performance difference. Some devices like your monitor may transmit better quality image through either one of them, but they are essentially identical.

This is a bit off topic, but I was thinking that this monitor was a sweet deal, am I right (I was looking for a new one anyways)?

You can get a 22" Acer monitor for 30 bucks less on Newegg.

while I know people will say to build my own computer, I don't feel comfortable with it. So, Dell wants $60 for an ATI Raedon 3450, but I found that on Newegg for $20-30. So my question, should I go with the $60 3450, or buy another from Newegg for $60 that's better.

Get Diamond Viper Radeon 3450, it costs $38 and is identical to the one offered by Dell.

You can also alternatively get a significantly better Sapphire Radeon 512MB card for $57.

Thanks, that was a big help! I took a look at the monitor, which is pretty good. But, it has a smaller resolution, and doesn't support HDMI, which isn't that big of a deal, I'm just looking to future proof my investment for as long as I can.

Also, are there any other better graphics cards you would suggest for $60? Or would the 3450 suffice for limited gameplay (again, back to future proofing my investment :? )?

I don't know if you'd brake the warranty by putting it in yourself, but you'd save 30$ as you say if you buy it from newegg or such a shop.

Yes you can choose a better card, but then you'd need to change the psu too, since companies like Dell only put in the minimal required psu so it runs stable (i dont think they change the psu just for 3450 which doesn't use much power).

And it's easy, locate the pci-e lane, (if theres anything covering the pci-e interferance such as plastic just remove it) push the card into the slot gently with even power on both sides, lock it by screwing the screw into the the hole in the case, check that it's properly attached and then put the side-case back on (ground yourself before doing this, and if you're worried about statics you can buy a esd wrist strap and clip it onto the chassi-metal).

Runs a little bit cooler than 3450 (not that these card run hot at all but an improvement never the less), hdmi out.

The only difference i know of between hdmi and dvi is that hdmi carries sound too while dvi doesn't.

ATI and Nvidia uses different techniques for their cards, so one can not look at, say the sp's, to try and find which one is faster than the other.

But would that card need a new PSU as well? If not, it's perfect, I think. The PSU in the system is like 300 watts. :| But yeah, I won't be doing much gaming, media at the most, such as movie playing/making. If it's that easy as you say, I might as well.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Uh, agp? It's not 2003 lol.

I've only seen the 3450 with pci-e, so i presume that's what dells motherboard is using.

Just make sure it's 16 lane pci-e.

But would that card need a new PSU as well? If not, it's perfect, I think. The PSU in the system is like 300 watts. :| But yeah, I won't be doing much gaming, media at the most, such as movie playing/making. If it's that easy as you say, I might as well.

Pros: Cheap and has a HDMI port. Very cheap budget card.

Cons: Doesn't perform better than a HD 3450 which I also own.

I found that on one of the reviews, granted it got 1/3 approvals...

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Like Joe said AGP is more or less 'yesterdays news' because pci-e has much more bandwidth and results in smoother display of images from the GPU to the monitor.

You can get a pretty good Geforce 8500 GT 512MB card for $63. A few bucks above your price range but it has a high cost-quality ratio, it's out of stock in a lot of places.

Most likely not, but i have no idea what dell uses.

Call their support and ask them.

Yes? It has a hdmi port so you don't need to use a converter which is always nice.

It's a good card, i just put it up for a second idea, but you're the one that decides what you want.

tbh, all budget cards such as the 3400 series, 8400 and borderline 8500GT are a waste of money. They are graphics cards for the sake of graphics cards and offer nothing but bragging rights over integrated chipsets. I would go for at least a [8(nvidia)/3/4]600 series as they allow you to play most games at acceptable framerates and arent that expensive either.

For memory amount on cards, 256mb should suffice for a low end card as the high 512mb, 768mb, 1gb etc. are only useful for high resolutions where the low end cards do not have the graphical horsepower to push along the pixels at these resolutions (1080p etc).

eggzs.png

tbh, all budget cards such as the 3400 series, 8400 and borderline 8500GT are a waste of money. They are graphics cards for the sake of graphics cards and offer nothing but bragging rights over integrated chipsets. I would go for at least a [8(nvidia)/3/4]600 series as they allow you to play most games at acceptable framerates and arent that expensive either.

For memory amount on cards, 256mb should suffice for a low end card as the high 512mb, 768mb, 1gb etc. are only useful for high resolutions where the low end cards do not have the graphical horsepower to push along the pixels at these resolutions (1080p etc).

No, they relieve the cpu when you play a movie and offer quite good performance.

Nvidia 8-3/4 series? There's barely any difference in performance between Nvidia's and ATI's performance in video-playback at those lower-end cards (altho ATI usually is a tiny bit better).

If she's getting the 512mb card will help along in the playback.

It's noth price-worthy for her to get a better card than this... Since she'd have to change the psu aswell, in such a case a custom-build will be much better.

No, they relieve the cpu when you play a movie and offer quite good performance.

Nvidia 8-3/4 series? There's barely any difference in performance between Nvidia's and ATI's performance in video-playback at those lower-end cards (altho ATI usually is a tiny bit better).

If she's getting the 512mb card will help along in the playback.

It's noth price-worthy for her to get a better card than this... Since she'd have to change the psu aswell, in such a case a custom-build will be much better.

So would the 256mb card also help, compared to a integrated card? If it reaches its 256gmb limit, will it offload onto the system memory?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yes it would. Some cards will be able to use x amount of mb from the ram too, but not all cards.