Ridiculous latency issues

Jaziek

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

As of about 2 weeks ago, I've been unable to do pretty much anything with my internet, because the ping is just WAY too high.

For instance, steam servers will never ever go below 800ms ping, WoW lets me play for about 2 minutes with a ping of 2k+ then disconnects me. Bittorrent is slow a [bleep]. constantly. Like 0.6kb/s slow, and standard web page loading times are ridiculous. It takes about 45 seconds to load the TIF index.

I've gone through my PC with a fine tooth comb, and nothing has changed at all. No new installs, and no malware. I've been looking at my router settings (which take [bleep]ing ages to load as well :? ) and they say everything is fine.

The only new thing I can think of is that my dad has recently got a new laptop and started using it with our wireless. Now I dont see how this could be a problem, because we frequently have 5+ clients using the router and it never slowed it down before, but now, I've run a speedtest check on my laptop, and gotten really crap results. (500 ping 100down/50up) then about 2 minutes later, run the same test on his laptop, and get 30 ping 5600down/500up .

What gives?

Tk5SF.png

I did say it was wireless.

yeah. I'm looking for a cable at the moment. Will post the results once I've found one.

edit:

same crap when connected by ethernet cable, and the same again with a USB connection.

I've tried resetting the router as well, you get about 30 seconds of good connection, and then it just goes crap again.

Tk5SF.png

Has someone set a speed limit to your PC on the router? Try when no one else if using the router, and see if the same still happens.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Has someone set a speed limit to your PC on the router? Try when no one else if using the router, and see if the same still happens.

I'm the only one in the house who would be anywhere near tech savvy enough to set a speed limit. So no, I havent. And I've even tried giving my laptop max priority over every other client, to no avail.

I'm pretty sure the contract we're on at the moment doesnt have a download limit, and I'm also pretty sure it wouldnt throttle your speed if you went over it. But that seems to be the only conclusion I can come to at the moment.

Tk5SF.png

I came back and edited it out just as you posted, my apologies.

To be more productive:

My first suggestion would be to disable any software firewalls you have running on your PC.

Is your wireless router also your modem or are the router and modem separate? If the latter could you temporarily bypass the router completely and test it then?

I came back and edited it out just as you posted, my apologies.

To be more productive:

My first suggestion would be to disable any software firewalls you have running on your PC.

Is your wireless router also your modem or are the router and modem separate? If the latter could you temporarily bypass the router completely and test it then?

the router and modem are 1 unit. Its a BT unit that predates the homehub. Nowt flash but it gets the job done.

I'll try disabling the firewall. Its mcafee, does pretty much nowt when its on anyway.

edit: disabling firewall makes no difference at all.

Tk5SF.png

This is odd :-k You said you checked it for malware etc. What exactly did you do and what did you scan with? Have you tried getting a HiJack This log and looking at that, or if not, posting it here?

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."