Serious Racism & Stereotyping Discussion ( REAL TALK)

Firstly, let me say that I know this had probably more then likely been on these boards numerous times, so please don't flame me, it has to be said.

I know runescape is a versatile game, yet indeed it has a very similar reality to the real world we know today. The good thing about it is what the game is about really, economy, money, merchanting, etc.... the bad thing about it which makes it seems world-like is the stereotyping, racism, thieves, etc...

But my main focus on here in this discussion is racism and sterotyping. Yesterday i was verbally abused by a group of racist who cracked jokes about my culture (I'm african american), stereotyped me in a way of giving me a label as to be just a destructive no good african amercian. And this all started because I got to a hill giant quicker then the other guy. :roll:

After that it was a done deal. I tried ignoring them as if they weren't there but the things they said made me start this discussion. I know i could have just ignored them, easy, yet if i would have ignored them then another innocent person like me would get insulted somewhere down the line if nothing is done. So why ignore and just hope the problem goes away, when it comes back around in a circle but to someone else. :?

I think JaGeX should not be so lenient about racism, they should get strict! I'm not a racist person God knows I love all kinds of people even those who hate me or my race. If anyone can think of ways if possible JaGeX could put some force to stop racism then feel free, or discuss your problems with it or about this topic.

Sterotyping/Misjudgement-

People tend to judge you everyday on runescape by the things you have on and of course by your combat level. Just think back to when you had something nice and the ones who talked to you then or now, would they have acknowledged you if you didn't have what you had?

And people think if you don't have nice things on then your poor, well you can't judge a book by it's cover. I always wondered if I walked around runescape with the clothes I came into this game with but had the bank that I have now, would I even have had the friends on my list. What do you guys think, let's talk about this, real talk.

- Catcher Bl0k

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a quick overview of Runescape's demographics, I find that racism fits in perfectly. I don't condone it or even tolerate it myself, but you must understand that a lot of the people who play this game are (gods help us) below fifteen years of age.

To make things just a little worse, a lot of these people are frustrated with their own mediocrity or the "earth-shattering issues" of their lives such as low marks or girl troubles (Oh noes! You broke up with a girl when you're 13! Surely the world is not worth living in!). Still more are spoilt children used to living in their parents' pockets.

This doesn't really paint a very good picture of Runescape's population, but sadly, it's fairly accurate. You should always expect to run into an immature person, because the nature of the internet allows village idiots to go outside their own village. Tack on the anonymity that the internet offers, and you've got quite a treat for people who wish to discriminate.

Remember that these people will not under any circumstances ever dare to say such things to you on the street, so under the provision that they are cowards, you can ignore them quite readily.

True, but someone has to open their eyes up :shock: might can't be done but it's worth a try at least.

You know something a human being does is not born with the hate of a race, it is learned through peers ( mainly parents, friends, etc) so I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents. The parents might not directly put off that racism image, it could be through friends, or other relatives , television!. Parent's need to be in a childs life 100% and guild them on the right path. I know when I have my children they will love all people, no matter the skin color, or what they have.

Come on people this is real talk, let's see somemore post about this.

True, I dislike racism. The saying goes : Every man is equal. Where have this saying and believe gone in Runescape? I personally feel that every person is equal; regardless of race, religion or skin colour. Same as calling people noobs; they might be inferior to you in terms of knowledge and intergrity; however they are still humans. Call them a noob, equals to calling yourself a noob. Why? Because of the fact that we are all humans. We are in the same group. It doesnt matter whether you are black; white; or milky; we are all humans; if you are racist, that means you are not a human, or dont have the intergrity to be one, simply because you insulted a human; your brother, or sister.

I have to disagree with the person above you that the population of Runescape is mainly below fifteen. I, myself is 12 and I dont speak in irritating languages or be a racist. After all, I am a human, like you and me :oops:

sokbanner1v3ta0.png

True, I dislike racism. The saying goes : Every man is equal. Where have this saying and believe gone in Runescape? I personally feel that every person is equal; regardless of race, religion or skin colour. Same as calling people noobs; they might be inferior to you in terms of knowledge and intergrity; however they are still humans. Call them a noob, equals to calling yourself a noob. Why? Because of the fact that we are all humans. We are in the same group. It doesnt matter whether you are black; white; or milky; we are all humans; if you are racist, that means you are not a human, or dont have the intergrity to be one, simply because you insulted a human; your brother, or sister.

I have to disagree with the person above you that the population of Runescape is mainly below fifteen. I, myself is 12 and I dont speak in irritating languages or be a racist. After all, I am a human, like you and me :oops:

So young, yet you understand some of the more less talked about things in life, that's great man :D. So now we know not all people under the age of 15 who play runescape are narrowminded.

Its conversations like this that make me happy I dont play anymore :)

The vast majority of Runescapers are small weak males, who wish they were strong, but instead of buying weights and running, they decide to get their parents to pay 5$ a month, so they can pretend to be big and bad, and insult those who they wish to insult in reality.

If only these people didn't have their minute grasp on reality and fiction, they would insult someone in real life, and we noone would have to worry about them anymore....ahh well.

Good luck :wink:

yeah okay racism is bad but jagex isn't lenient about it, the offensive language label on the report form covers things other than just cursing.

What I meant is this, people use alternate words to make up for the real names of what they are trying to say. like for example, Yahoo, yahoo is censored out fully. People have adapted to that and came up with similar words like "Yahee, etc".

But back to my point to where I said JaGeX is lenient, ok I'm going to use this from prior knowledge, let's say 2 guys are have a verbal dispute and it gets to the point where the both of them start throwing racial slurs at one another: " coon - this word is censored out ( using as an example no harm intended so please don't think im racist :wink: ) one guy says that word. The other guy says : " Nig" - this word is not censored, the reason I used those two words is because they both have a derogatory meaning. You shouldn't be able to say a word that even comes close to it or sounds like it. Of course they could always use the alternate way of throwing racial remarks, white, black, asian, etc...

I think they should install some type of filter, if you type a sentence that may sound like your disrespecting another race it should be filtered out to where nothing appears up on the chat.

For example :

XampleRsnamehere:(this is what he wrote in his text box) blah blah blah dumb ( any race).

(enters it to be seen by nearby people)

XampleRsnamehere:( no text should show, or either just *****)

I dont think many people here will be very supportive of your "make the chat filter stricter" idea...you see that by all the posts wanting jagex to remove the chat filter all together....but back to your topic. I dont think these people are saying racist terms to be racist, they are saying them as swear words. That doesnt make it any better, just dont take it as personally. These people are using the anomity (sp?) to be rude and cruel, just for fun.

ShadowSam19.png

I dont think many people here will be very supportive of your "make the chat filter stricter" idea...you see that by all the posts wanting jagex to remove the chat filter all together....but back to your topic. I dont think these people are saying racist terms to be racist, they are saying them as swear words. That doesnt make it any better, just dont take it as personally. These people are using the anomity (sp?) to be rude and cruel, just for fun.

Well the people who insulted me clearly meant to take it there trust me. if you were there then you'd know the whole deal, but you won't so who's to say? Anyway, it doesn't matter if the word they use is for swear or not it should not be accepted or said in the game period. That just how I feel, others may feel differently. I'm glad you brought that up though.

Remember that these people will not under any circumstances ever dare to say such things to you on the street, so under the provision that they are cowards, you can ignore them quite readily.

Zon, what you say is accurate. However, as some players ignore the slurs, other players read them and end up getting the wrong idea. They may start thinking those things are okay to say, exactly like a teen who hears their parents make similar remarks. Your point about many of these players being younger than 15 is also well taken. In their defense, I have met respectful and polite players who are 15 or younger, but they are still the most easily influenced.

I ask everyone reading this to be responsible when you see these racist things being said. Report such activity right away. We all know JAGeX has thousands or reports to deal with, but the more people who report a specific incident, the better.

Sorry you had to deal with these low-lifes, Catcher. Peace, man.

lpinkus

but you must understand that a lot of the people who play this game are (gods help us) below fifteen years of age.

yup, all bad things in runescape are the younger players fault, seriously. you have blamed scamming on "people younger than fifteen" and now you blame rascism on "people below fifteen years of age" too. im 14 years old, and i am NOT a rascist. and catcher bl0k, i dont understand you, you post an anti-discrimination topic, and you blame it all on "the people below 15 years of age" just like zonorhc, which is discrimination. i would just like to know what the HELL i have done wrong to get blamed for everything thats bad in RS.

scamming -

this is because there are a lot of people playing who are below 15 years of age

rudeness -

yes, thats because there are a lot of people 15 years and below playing

and now rascism -

but you must understand that a lot of the people who play this game are (gods help us) below fifteen years of age.

seems the moral of RS is BLAME THE YOUNGER PLAYERS!

seems like im pure evil and need to be banned immidiatly cuz im 14.

god please forgive me that im 14, it seems to be horribly wrong.

this is really getting out of hand, today i have come across at least 4 threads where something bad is blamed on "the people below 15 years of age"

tell me, how is that NOT discrimination.

So young, yet you understand some of the more less talked about things in life, that's great man :D. So now we know not all people under the age of 15 who play runescape are narrowminded.

As you can see here if you have read all the post clearly, I sided differently and changed my mind from what Z was talking about.

yup, all bad things in runescape are the younger players fault, seriously. you have blamed scamming on "people younger than fifteen" and now you blame rascism on "people below fifteen years of age" too. im 14 years old, and i am NOT a rascist. and catcher bl0k, i dont understand you, you post an anti-discrimination topic, and you blame it all on "the people below 15 years of age" just like zonorhc, which is discrimination. i would just like to know what the HELL i have done wrong to get blamed for everything thats bad in RS.

scamming -

this is because there are a lot of people playing who are below 15 years of age

rudeness -

yes, thats because there are a lot of people 15 years and below playing

and now rascism -

seems the moral of RS is BLAME THE YOUNGER PLAYERS!

seems like im pure evil and need to be banned immidiatly cuz im 14.

god please forgive me that im 14, it seems to be horribly wrong.

this is really getting out of hand, today i have come across at least 4 threads where something bad is blamed on "the people below 15 years of age"

tell me, how is that NOT discrimination.

It's a fair generalisation of the demographic. Sure, you get isolated cases of decent people, but the majority holds true with my statement.

As you can see here if you have read all the post clearly, I sided differently and changed my mind from what Z was talking about.

im sorry dude, i only read the first 2 posts before i made mine, your right.

It's a fair generalisation of the demographic. Sure, you get isolated cases of decent people, but the majority holds true with my statement.
it isnt fair. your basing the mayority on the minority.

lets say i would make a chat with you in RS, and you would ask my age, and i would say im 14. you would probably go calling me a scammer, if i read the horribly discriminating posts you have written.

in case you havent noticed, this is an anti-discrimination topic, and yet you post away and blame it all on the younger players for the heck of it. you say that everyone under 15 years old are spoilt little immature brats, and thats plain BS. i dont know if you have ever talked to a 15 year old, or even ever saw a picture of one, but 15 year olds are not little devils with horns on their head.

why dont you stop blaming everything thats bad in this world to younger players. just because you met a few 15 year olds who were a jerk, doesnt indicate that were all jerks.

you havent seemed to count the 100 000s of players under 15 years of age who were just playing this game, minding there own business and not insulting everyone.

stop blaming people all kinds of horrible things just because they are "below 15 years of age", because youll only make a fool out of yourself

Racism is a terrible thing as is any kind of discrimination. Personally I am against it, but it is not just the underage kids who say this crap. The wide majority of offenders probably are under 15 but there are the occasional jerks who blow off their steam on other people. Tough luck Cathcher I hope you don't run into another racist person. :wink:

Domovoi123-Level 80 f2p

Noxious 0ne-Level 46 f2p

lets say i would make a chat with you in RS, and you would ask my age, and i would say im 14. you would probably go calling me a scammer, if i read the horribly discriminating posts you have written.

in case you havent noticed, this is an anti-discrimination topic, and yet you post away and blame it all on the younger players for the heck of it. you say that everyone under 15 years old are spoilt little immature brats, and thats plain BS. i dont know if you have ever talked to a 15 year old, or even ever saw a picture of one, but 15 year olds are not little devils with horns on their head.

why dont you stop blaming everything thats bad in this world to younger players. just because you met a few 15 year olds who were a jerk, doesnt indicate that were all jerks.

you havent seemed to count the 100 000s of players under 15 years of age who were just playing this game, minding there own business and not insulting everyone.

stop blaming people all kinds of horrible things just because they are "below 15 years of age", because youll only make a fool out of yourself

Excuse me? Where did I, on my own initiative, go out of my way to blame things on people? I merely expressed my opinion that these things happen because of a large number of immature people playing this game. I never pointed the finger at anyone for being a scammer or whatever "just because" they were under fifteen years of age. In fact, age is one of the last things I consider when judging people, but I see it as a wonderful reason for players of this game to act the way they do.

You seem to have caught onto this idea that I suddenly went and flat out accused every person under fifteen years of age for every problem that arises in this world. You're wrong. To be honest, I don't see WHERE you could've gotten that impression, but the fact stands that I did not do any of the above beyond saying that a certain demographic is responsible for some of the less tasteful activities in this game. I did go out of my way to mention that there are exceptions, but the majority are in fact part of the demographic.

Now, stop putting words into my mouth which I clearly did not say and get the hell back on topic. Slander is something I don't take kindly to.

Discussion heating up, but really let's get back on the topic, anything else would be off-topic and probably result in this thread getting locked.

But I'm glad that you people responded and discussed this with me, really I am. :wink:

Excuse me? Where did I, on my own initiative, go out of my way to blame things on people? I merely expressed my opinion that these things happen because of a large number of immature people playing this game. I never pointed the finger at anyone for being a scammer or whatever "just because" they were under fifteen years of age. In fact, age is one of the last things I consider when judging people, but I see it as a wonderful reason for players of this game to act the way they do.

You seem to have caught onto this idea that I suddenly went and flat out accused every person under fifteen years of age for every problem that arises in this world. You're wrong. To be honest, I don't see WHERE you could've gotten that impression, but the fact stands that I did not do any of the above beyond saying that a certain demographic is responsible for some of the less tasteful activities in this game. I did go out of my way to mention that there are exceptions, but the majority are in fact part of the demographic.

Now, stop putting words into my mouth which I clearly did not say and get the hell back on topic. Slander is something I don't take kindly to.

in other words you say: almost all people under the age of 15 (the mayority) are immature little jerks, that verbally abuse people, scam, and do all kinds of nasty things (your statement)

tell me how that isnt discrimination.

Racism is generally disgusting. Why should one be chastised simply because he\she is black, white, yellow or rainbow for crying out loud. I myself have gotten my fair share of rebukes and rude remarks for being Asian.(I live in Singapore, Asia) Being called shorty, small eyes etc.(To be honest, I don't care, beacuse I am definitely not short, I just laugh at their stupidity)

I have to agree that this is a result of Runescape having a population full of hormonal teenagers, thinking that being racist is cool, and since they cannot express their feelings in real life due to insecurities, they do it on a game.

No, Lord Mujis, do not get your knickers in a twist at my comment, I myself am 15, and have had such views since I was 12. ( RS hasn't changed much in the years, still the amount of idiotic racists are still present amongst us since the beginning of RuneScape classic)

Known formerly as Ameoba3000.

Now known as Vigoss.

in other words you say: almost all people under the age of 15 (the mayority) are immature little jerks, that verbally abuse people, scam, and do all kinds of nasty things (your statement)

tell me how that isnt discrimination.

look, stop taking this so personally. how old do you think people that go around saying "buying gf" are? 20? what about someone who throws a hissy fit when you take "his" rock? 50? most people that are under 15 tend to be little jerks, but as we've all been saying, there are exceptions to that rule, including people like you.

So many complex qoute trails its getting hard to pay attention.

Ok lets get some things straight racism is not the issue on runescape, its simple critisism.

And to blame the majority of it on a certain group of people is like going downtown and screaming "ALL YOU F*CKING CRACKERS ARE RASCIST SOB'S".

Now seriously consider where this conversation is heading towards and avoid pointing the finger at certain age groups, because then you simply become part of the problem.[/code]