Smithing iron knives - possible to profit?

game_proffy

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

If you check my stats and my signature picture, you may guess that I'm a bit of a quester (270 QP). Only 2 quests left to do, namely Rocking out and While Guthix Sleeps.

For that I, sadly, need to raise the goddamn Crafting and Smithing. Now, while Crafting is set (Making green d'hide bodies, alching), I am not too sure about Smithing. I am not very good with making money, and I have only about 2.5 million in bank (Yes, I do know I can make a decent profit with my skillset, but it's BORING!).

What I was thinking of, was smelt around 9.8 thousand iron bars (with ROF's) and then turn them into iron knives. This'd be around 48-49 thousand knives. What I am wondering is:

1. Will it be profitable? According to my calculations the profit is ~65 gold per bar, but I am not too sure:

Iron ore: -100 gold per bar

ROF's: -1470/140 = -10.5 gold per bar

Iron knives: ~35*5 = 175 gold per bar

Which makes it 64.5 gold per bar profit

Is this calculation more or less correct?

2. Is it possible to sell a whoppong 50k iron knives at GE without too much trouble? I'd understand it if there was a very large supply for the thing, higher than demand. I don't have any iron knives to test this with per se.

Game_Proffy.png

Well by your calculations it seems they would, but watch the market when you go to sell them. I would suggest though that you make mithril bolts using the SC hammer and then add feathers to sell on the ge. You could cast superheat and make the bars yourself so you get magic and smithing exp.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Well if you plan on training all those i suggest you make more money, 2.5m won't last to long if trying to raise all those skills. Yes it loses some money but if you want pure profit, mine you own coal and mithril own, use any nats you may have and superheat them. I would recommend looking up a guide and play SC, the hammers are the best way to train smithing.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

I always do iron arrowheads when smithing. They give 13 gp X 15 per bar for a 195 gp per bar. better than iron knives. They sell over night on the G.E.

G luck

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

i don't know why people suggest mithril bolts, you lose something like 500gp per bar if you bought hte bar, then people say superheat the bars. that can take a good hr and still 500gp per bar. if you smelt them at furnace it takes even longer as you run out of energy too much

i would suggest doing sc, youll get 3 hammers = to 96k exp overall in 1 hr

if you're a bit tight with money i'd suggest iron nails and sell to sawmill at 16 ea

generally you don't make/lose more than 5k per 1k bars

this is from someone with 81 smithing

]ac_s_dc.png

I was going to say that buying bars is loss since I've also looked into Iron Knives to get 69 smithing. ::'

Your calculations seem good so go with that, or you can do arrowheads as mentioned above. Another alternative would be Calculating a way to make profit with crafting battlestaves then spend that money on a faster way of smithing. Either way, it's up to you.

Well, I am only around 500 green dragonhides away from level 66, and I don't see myself training much crafting after that, unless it's for a diary (which I also like doing, like quests).

I will probably go around smithing arrowheads. Here's to hope there is a demand for 100k arrowheads... :lol:

Game_Proffy.png

before you rush out and make 100k arrowheads, make 100 put in ge and see if they sell, since iron arrows are somewhat junk if you don't train ranged with them people often don't make iron arrows as they can't resell iron arrows and the exp for them isn't that great when fletching

]ac_s_dc.png

before you rush out and make 100k arrowheads, make 100 put in ge and see if they sell, since iron arrows are somewhat junk if you don't train ranged with them people often don't make iron arrows as they can't resell iron arrows and the exp for them isn't that great when fletching

I have no idea who buys them, but I made over 10k worth of iron bars into arrowheads and they all sold over time. I just did 200 bars during dinner and I expect them to be sold by the time I log in around supper.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

i don't know why people suggest mithril bolts, you lose something like 500gp per bar if you bought hte bar, then people say superheat the bars. that can take a good hr and still 500gp per bar. if you smelt them at furnace it takes even longer as you run out of energy too much

if you're a bit tight with money i'd suggest iron nails and sell to sawmill at 16 ea

To bad you don't lose any where near 500 gp per bar...

1 mithril ore: 277 gp mid

Coal: 176 mid*4= 704

So if you bough the ore and coal it be 981 gp an bar,

1 bar makes 10 mithril bolts= 76 a bolt*10= 760 gp

You lose 221 gp per bar if you bought all the material at mid price and sold the bolts at mid prices.

GWD:

To bad you don't lose any where near 500 gp per bar...

1 mithril ore: 277 gp mid

Coal: 176 mid*4= 704

So if you bough the ore and coal it be 981 gp an bar,

1 bar makes 10 mithril bolts= 76 a bolt*10= 760 gp

You lose 221 gp per bar if you bought all the material at mid price and sold the bolts at mid prices.

you did not read what i said, i said if you bought the bar, they're 1200 ea, and it've very time consuming to make mithril bars at a furnace as you run out of energy fast. you might say use energy pots, these also add to the cost

]ac_s_dc.png

I am a quest-aholic, too.

My recommendation is to just keep putting penguin points in there. It will take you a couple of weeks per level, but training it is just so boring. Definitely try and get the volatile/morphic hammers if you plan on training it at all...mine or buy gold ore (or get it from daily trips to find meteors) and smelt using the gold gauntlets from the Family Crest quest.

You might tell from my stats that at the moment of this post, I'm only 68 smithing. I was around 61 when I decided that I needed to get to 69 (among my other goals). Since then, I've poured my points in there, smelted steel when I had the iron ore (coal from MTK) and the odd mithril bar. I also chose to smith mithril hastas when I could, since it gives the experience of two mithril bars for one mithril bar and one maple log.

It's the second most tedious skill to level (in my opinion) behind herblore. After I get to level 69 in smithing, I will probably switch on and off between those two skills in order to get to level 73 smithing (for the achievement diary in varrock) and herblore (until I can make antifire potions for myself) and maybe prayer (though I hate doing that since I can get dragon bones easy and grind 'em or POH altar them), maybe construction, or...i don't know, something else like runecrafting (another one I hate to train).

Penguin points...smelt everything you have already...mine iron or find someone powermining to get it from for free (with a beast of burden and the Oo'glog pools and a teleport of some kind, you can bank lots of iron in a short amount of time) or mine mithril or gold yourself.

Stay away from junk, unless you're going to use those iron knives yourself to train...heck, why not make steel and cannonballs if you want to make a little cash? Or steel arrows for yourself? Arrows are actually better...more experience per bar than knives (since you get 15 arrowheads and less knives and darts and bolts). You can also get some fletching experience.

Yes, I've thought a lot about this...

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

you get the experience per bar not item, you get the same exp from knives as you do arrows, unless you're talking about the fletching experience then you need feathers and shafts

True, but what I meant was that he'd get more items per bar, so if you had the same number of knives/bolts/darts/arrows, you'd have more arrows per experience (per bar) that you could use or sell. EVEN if the other items were higher priced, you're getting at least 50 percent more arrows than bolts (and as mentioned, fletching experience).

Of course, if he's already gone the iron route, it's a moot point.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

The fastest, most cost effective way for you to get 69 Smithing, that is not boring at all, is to:

Play SC

Get hammers

Buy mith bars

Make into mith bolts

Sell unfinished bolts on GE

Profit

It'll go by REALLY quick.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

you bloody hell dont make profit of buying bars and smithing to bolts

Tis a joke. Lighten up. You'll spend very little money, and it's very fast. Not to mention that you spend half of that time playing a fun minigame.

\/\/

What Ray said.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

To be brutally honest, you should be asking for a way to make money without smithing, like NPC trading (example) and just make mithril bolts when you can. 63 is the level (? idk I dont remember.)

The loss is worth it due to the speed.

I dont need a siggy no moar.