World Chat Channels

unjustblood

Ever on a themed world and you don't know what the best way to do the activity is? Or feel like talking with other people there, but don't want to get a group together to do it with?

I propose a clan chat channel for every themed world. It wouldn't have a specific name, but more a button on the clan chat interface. Perhaps a tiny one at the top right, for "Themed worlds". Clicking this button would put you into a special clan channel with no name associated with it. (Basically made and owned by Jagex). It would allow accurate discussion/chat of the themed worlds.

What happens if one fills up? It would place you in the next available one. There is a current limit of 100 people per channel. (Makes sense as any more and you couldn't read anything). The work around would that it would be a bank of 20 channels. (20 x 100 = 2000) And people were auto-assigned the next emptiest channel. (You won't ever be alone)

As for moderation, I think that it would suit it best if all silver crowns and obviously all gold crowns had moderation rights on these channels. After all, that's what the moderators are there for? There would also be a system to boot users. It would be based off 10% of the chat channel. If this 10 percent was able to vote to boot a user, they would be kicked. (100 users, 10 have to vote boot. 50 users, 5 have to vote boot.) 10 users and below would require half the channel rounded up to vote, as the 10% would allow 1 user to boot. You would simply right click on the user in the clan chat pane and hit "Vote boot". There would be no public announcements of the vote. Each user can only vote once, and votes act as "tallys" and will stay for half an hour duration. When a user is booted they are banned from ANY chat channel linked to that world.

Any criticism welcome.

User Ideas

[hide=Sees_All1 ]ever been in a chat with more than 50 people? Its hard to chat with everyone chatting at once. And as far as moderation goes, there's not enough mods to go around as it is.

I'm not saying it isn't a bad idea, but moderation and booting spammers may be tough.

What if, you had a "vote for boot" option, and to get someone booted from the chat. Limits for booting would be a minimum of 4 people, a scale of 10%, up to 10 people. So, if there's a chat of 100 people, and there's someone spamming @@@@@, and 10 people vote to boot the individual, they're kicked out. And if there's a chat of 6 people, and someone spams @@@@, 4 people must vote to boot the individual. Figure once someone is booted, jagex will get a report for offensive language.[/hide]

Well you'd have to consider that some kids would go on just to type "@@@@@@@@@" or something to fill up the screen. Sure you can kick um, but theirs thousands of them.

ever been in a chat with more than 50 people? Its hard to chat with everyone chatting at once. And as far as moderation goes, there's not enough mods to go around as it is.

I'm not saying it isn't a bad idea, but moderation and booting spammers may be tough.

What if, you had a "vote for boot" option, and to get someone booted from the chat. Limits for booting would be a minimum of 4 people, a scale of 10%, up to 10 people. So, if there's a chat of 100 people, and there's someone spamming @@@@@, and 10 people vote to boot the individual, they're kicked out. And if there's a chat of 6 people, and someone spams @@@@, 4 people must vote to boot the individual. Figure once someone is booted, jagex will get a report for offensive language.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

its a good idea, but u have to realize that the community is full of idiots that will just continue to spam. Everyone does it :roll: and if there are mods it wont really help... might as well join a popular clan chat for that activity.

ever been in a chat with more than 50 people? Its hard to chat with everyone chatting at once. And as far as moderation goes, there's not enough mods to go around as it is.

What if, you had a "vote for boot" option, and to get someone booted from the chat. Limits for booting would be a minimum of 4 people, a scale of 10%, up to 10 people. So, if there's a chat of 100 people, and there's someone spamming @@@@@, and 10 people vote to boot the individual, they're kicked out. And if there's a chat of 6 people, and someone spams @@@@, 4 people must vote to boot the individual. Figure once someone is booted, jagex will get a report for offensive language.

This system is flawed. All it takes is 10-11 people that want the chat to themselves to keep it. Coupled with the fact that when people are kicked from chats they can't re-enter for a certain time, we'd have few people dominating the chats, and I wouldn't put it past the general Runescape public to do such a thing. Furthermore the report for offensive language may get an innocent in trouble, the temp. ban from the chat is enough.

Maybe it's better use the traditional 51% system

There's just one more thing I don't get, how would the vote to kick system work? Would there be a window? Or would it be located somewhere in the chat window?

dilo_1_2.png

It's what I do

6968.png

This system is flawed. All it takes is 10-11 people that want the chat to themselves to keep it. Coupled with the fact that when people are kicked from chats they can't re-enter for a certain time, we'd have few people dominating the chats, and I wouldn't put it past the general Runescape public to do such a thing. Furthermore the report for offensive language may get an innocent in trouble, the temp. ban from the chat is enough.

There's just one more thing I don't get, how would the vote to kick system work? Would there be a window? Or would it be located somewhere in the chat window?

If voting to boot someone was as serious as reporting abuse, and sending in false boots was the same as sending in false reports, I wouldn't see this as a problem.

I understand your concern, and agree with it in part though.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

10-11 people dominating a chat would probably be a rarity. It wouldn't be nearly as common as normal spam. Because of this, you could simply have designated chat mods (new) or player/Jagex mods kick them.

The report will not get the innocent in trouble. If it was an unfair kick, Jagex will find out 2 things from the report: the people who kicked, and that the person was innocent. Jagex would then take no action against the guy who got kicked simply because he did nothing wrong. If, however, the guy WAS spamming, Jagex would instantly know (well, whenever you check this stuff anyway) about it and have the right to take action. Does that sound confusing? It sounded a lot clearer in my head, sorry. My point is, if the kick was coupled with a ban, innocents would not be harmed in any way.

If I was to make a suggestion, I would have a red X to every person's name, except designated moderators, who can never be kicked. When you click the X, a message appears in the clan chatbox, such as: Zaaps1 has voted to kick Spamminnoob from RuneScape World 87 Chat. Then, anyone who also votes to kick would right click that message and select "kick" from the drop down menu (but you cannot left click the message, this is to prevent accidents). Then that person would cause a similar message to appear, and this process continues like a chain.

EX:

Zaaps1 has voted to kick spamminnoob

[Here, Armourdillo right clicks and selects kick as well]

Armourdillo has voted to kick spamminnoob

If you were a mod, just clicking the red X would instantly click, no vote required. In addition, because of the message system, everyone would see exactly which people kicked who.

Simple, but effective.

10-11 people dominating a chat would probably be a rarity. It wouldn't be nearly as common as normal spam. Because of this, you could simply have designated chat mods (new) or player/Jagex mods kick them.

The report will not get the innocent in trouble. If it was an unfair kick, Jagex will find out 2 things from the report: the people who kicked, and that the person was innocent. Jagex would then take no action against the guy who got kicked simply because he did nothing wrong. If, however, the guy WAS spamming, Jagex would instantly know (well, whenever you check this stuff anyway) about it and have the right to take action. Does that sound confusing? It sounded a lot clearer in my head, sorry. My point is, if the kick was coupled with a ban, innocents would not be harmed in any way.

If I was to make a suggestion, I would have a red X to every person's name, except designated moderators, who can never be kicked. When you click the X, a message appears in the clan chatbox, such as: Zaaps1 has voted to kick Spamminnoob from RuneScape World 87 Chat. Then, anyone who also votes to kick would right click that message and select "kick" from the drop down menu (but you cannot left click the message, this is to prevent accidents). Then that person would cause a similar message to appear, and this process continues like a chain.

EX:

Zaaps1 has voted to kick spamminnoob

[Here, Armourdillo right clicks and selects kick as well]

Armourdillo has voted to kick spamminnoob

If you were a mod, just clicking the red X would instantly click, no vote required. In addition, because of the message system, everyone would see exactly which people kicked who.

Simple, but effective.

That idea is pure genius, though I still think 10 people isn't enough, maybe double, just to be safe?

I support :D

Hey, Unjustblood, where's the supporters list? You're going to need one!

dilo_1_2.png

It's what I do

6968.png