Lsass Issues

Katastrofen

I had the Sasser worm, but I got rid of that some months ago. Recently, my PC has started shutting down without any warning. It's got something to do with Lsass being exploited, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I tried installing an update, but my PC is on dial-up and got shut down before I could finish the download. Not sure what to do since I can't really abort the shutdown without knowing when it's about to occur. :(

kosig.jpg

Download the Sasser and Blaster removal tools.

Post a HijackThis log too please and try and upgrade and patch your windows asap.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Download the Sasser and Blaster removal tools.

Post a HijackThis log too please and try and upgrade and patch your windows asap.

Alright, thanks for the links. ^_^ But do you have any idea how to get the comp to temporarily stop shutting itself down so I can manage the downloads?

Thanks again.

You can try in safemode, not sure if that'll work or get a mate to download them and put onto a floppy disk for you.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Don't supose something similiar could be causing my problems aswell?

Random reboots with no blue screens. HJT is clean and Ad Aware only pulled up tracking cookies...

Very odd indeed.

Oy! Well, I ran the Sasser and Blaster checkers. They both came out clean. Everytime I try to run HijackThis, it flashes the little warning (consult an experienced person on what to delete, etc) and then promptly dies. So, I can't even get HJT to launch.

More compy woes: so, I'm trying to find an update on Microsoft, and what do you know, my computer restarts again. But this time, on the reboot, it has a comp-seizure (alternates between an illuminated black screen and a pitch black screen about ten times). So, I shut it off, turn it back on, and it came up with a screen asking me to revert back to last working settings or something. I have no idea if that means it will stop restarting itself.

Random reboots with no blue screens. HJT is clean and Ad Aware only pulled up tracking cookies...

Yeah! Well, actually, I do get bluescreens, but only when I restart it. Otherwise, if it reboots without a problem, it just randomly restarts sometime later. And Ad-Aware only brought up trackers for me too. :(

kosig.jpg

Recent developments! Hey, darkrick, when your comp randomly reboots, do you ever get a message saying "The system has recovered from a serious error"? And then the error log contains stuff about a minidump and sysdata.xml? 'Cause that's what mine was doing, and I googled it and got this:

System has Recovered from a Serious Error

There are several methods to resolve this issue. Follow the instructions in the first section. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to the next

section.

I. Resize the Swap File

When a serious error occurs, by default the system dumps the system state to the swap file for later retrieval. However, it is possible that the swap file is not properly cleaned up and the system thinks that it is rebooting from a crash. To resolve this, you will need to resize the swap file:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Right click the My Computer menu option, and then click Properties on the context menu that appears.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Settings button in the Performance section. The Performance Options window appears.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Change button in the Virtual Memory section. The Virtual memory window appears.

5. Click Custom Size, and then record the Initial Size and Maximum Size.

6. Set the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the same value as the amount of RAM that is installed in the system.

7. Click Set and then click OK. The system will advise you to restart the computer.

8. Click OK.

9. Click OK at the Performance Options window. The system prompts you to restart the computer.

10. Click Yes.

After the system has restarted, repeat the above steps to restore the original Initial Size and Maximum Size values for your swap file.

II. Delete the Minidump Files and the Sysdata.xml File

When a serious error occurs, by default the system writes out a miniature memory dump along with an XML description of the system status (which notes the program at fault and other pertinent system data) that can be uploaded to Microsoft. If this data is not correctly closed out, the system may present a Serious Error screen upon boot. To resolve this problem, perform

the following steps:

2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Explore on the context menu that appears.

3. Browse to the c:\Windows\Minidump directory.

4. Delete everything located in this directory.

NOTE : You will need to be able to view hidden and system files and the system should not be hiding protected operating system files.

5. Browse to the c:\Documents and Settings folder.

6. Search for the following file: sysdata.xml file.

7. Delete all instances (you may find more than one) of this file.

8. Click the Start button, click Turn off the computer, and then click Restart.

III. Disable the Automatically Restart setting

This attacks the same class of Serious Errors that resizing the swap file fixes, but it tries to ensure that the errors do not happen beforehand.

However, this does not help to rid the persistent Serious Error message after the fact.

2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties on the context menu that appears.

3. Click the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button in the Start-up and Recovery section.

4. Click to remove the check next to Automatically Restart checkbox and then click OK.

5. Click OK. The system will no longer automatically restart after a Serious Error message appears.

IV. Disable Memory Dumps\

This option totally disables memory dumps altogether, which may help fix some persistent Serious Error messages. To disable memory dumps, perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start button

2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties on the context menu that appears.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Settings button in the Start-up and Recovery section.

4. In the Write debugging information tab, click to select (none) and then click OK.

5. Click OK.

I've done"Method I" and am hoping I don't have to try any of the other methods. Well, er, so far, so good? o__0

kosig.jpg

I don't always get the System has Recovered from a Serious Error message all the time.

But I'll most likely do the first one tomorrow. #3 I did just then.

Yeah, neither do I, but the first time I got it, I copied and pasted the error log in a text file. I guess I was freaking out so much that I never thought to google the error. :?

kosig.jpg