Installing Windows 7 beta//XP on a linux system?

frogact

Is there an app that will support creating an NTFS partition from within linux? I have the Windows 7 disk which I burned but can't install it because it says I don't have an NTFS partion. Wouldn't that be created during a Windows install? :S The BIOS is also not detecting the HD even though I have linux installed and running fine.

What I'm actually trying to do is install Windows XP pro from an upgrade disk onto a linux system. The windows 7 was my way of getting around the upgrade since I don't have windows running. Is there another way?

What I want to end up with is a small partition for Windows XP pro for some work apps, and the rest, shared files and linux.

jfroggy

Ubuntu would not allow me to create an NTFS partition using gparted. The selection was grayed out. It would let me make a FAT32. however, the win98 cd won't pick up the cd drivers . It aborts the install. I swear if I didn't have a work app that required winxp, I would burn everything microsoft that I own. RIGHT NOW. Because I am perfectly happy with Ubuntu.

jfroggy

Ubuntu would not allow me to create an NTFS partition using gparted. The selection was grayed out. It would let me make a FAT32. however, the win98 cd won't pick up the cd drivers . It aborts the install. I swear if I didn't have a work app that required winxp, I would burn everything microsoft that I own. RIGHT NOW. Because I am perfectly happy with Ubuntu.

Check that NTFS filesystems are enabled in your kernel. It wasn't terribly long ago that NTFS write support was considered experimental, and many distros left it out of their stock kernel.

You should be able to create the partition's size for Windows 7, but leave it unformatted - Windows 7 should "know" how to create its own NTFS partitions.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I finally gave up and took it to Fry's. The guy charged me 80 bucks and did a clean install of Windows XP Pro using my upgrade disk on a system that had only linux partitions. How did he do it?

Check that NTFS filesystems are enabled in your kernel. It wasn't terribly long ago that NTFS write support was considered experimental, and many distros left it out of their stock kernel.

I wish I had read this post before I went to Fry's lol.. I might have saved myself some time and money. O well..at least now I have XP and I know linux will be able to resize the ntfs and create its own partitions. Stupid Microsoft.

jfroggy