internet help

Zonia88

So I've been having some issues for the last few weeks, i'll be playing rs and then i'll get the connection error in the top-left sometimes it will log me out but not most of the time. Anyways it seems to do this randomly, and is fine afterwards but what is it? In other games like call of duty 1 my ping will just jump to 500 or so for 5 seconds then go back down.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Proud fire cape owner!

How many RS players does it take to change a lightbulb?

5,000. 1 to change the lightbulb, and 4,999 to complain about how it was better before.

cookieaq4.png

Wired or wireless?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Wired, there is a wireless set up for my fathers laptop though

Proud fire cape owner!

5,000. 1 to change the lightbulb, and 4,999 to complain about how it was better before.

cookieaq4.png

It also does this on my other computer and my fathers laptop

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

Protected

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

svchost[Caution: Executable File] I have 6 of them running, most 400-2300K useage, one is 24,000K usage though, how about would I fix this, and would t sill effect all the computers on my network?

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

Run a virus scan if you think something is kaputt, but probably not.

I'll give a few suggestions until someone else who knows more about networking comes along.

Try different servers and see if it still occurs.

If you're using a bit-torrent program on any of the computers, exit it and see if it still happens.

Restart (not reset) your router, check again.

I don't think your speed should be a problem (as long you're on adsl or better).

No bit-torrents to my knowledge, however my father uses them and his computer's passworded for security purposes, he says he's not downloading, even having the client up would that make a difference?

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

He could still be uploading, which would effect your speed (depends on how much of your total uploading capability it is tho). Just having it on shouldn't make much of a difference, but you could always ask him to exit it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

It does make a difference if he's uploading. I know my internet is slow when I upload a lot. Good thing I don't upload much, my last youtube video was quite a while back.

Nope he has it off, any more ideas?

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

Still going on, any more ideas please?

Proud fire cape owner!

cookieaq4.png

Consider rebooting your router. There are times when that helps, regardless of how inexplainable (in certain situations) it can be.

Test your connection speed by a simple ping routine, do it indefinitely. Ping some server that has near 100% reliability, like google.com. I think that it's the -f flag to ping indefinitely.

Check with your ISP to see if you have your bandwidth capped. It might explain some of your symptoms.

Make sure that your father's (or any other computer for that matter) is NOT using torrent services while you're online. Upload times will instakill your bandwidth, that's a fact. I have a 7Mbit line, and I couldn't remotely connect into my machine from school while I was uploading an ISO of Ubuntu.

Run a virus scan on your machine. It could be a virus that's hogging your bandwidth as well.

Make sure your machine is 100% up-to-date. Or, if you do have it set so it automatically updates, set it to a time when you're sure your machine isn't going to be doing anything online.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.