very nasty internet troubles

Guest mauranius

While mining runite atm I am encountering a very nasty internet problem.

I keep having to run network diagnostics since I get "error connecting to server", while having this neither on internet explorer or mozilla firefox I can go to another page, I will have to restore internet connection. The thing is that during these problems my eMule still has connection, and if i am not logging out of the world, I can't resolve new internet adresses, however I can continue playing runescape.

In the meanwhile I already tried attaching my laptop directly (not through a router) on my internet outlet, but at that point I can't get any internet to work. Also I tried changing internet cables, as well as another router, but the problem persist.

now I do know I had some troubles with my firewall and changed some things on that, though I can't remember what. At this moment network diagnostics is referring to my firewall settings since it can not resolve http (80), https (443) or ftp (21) ports.

My firewall is zonealarm pro, I have not a single clue who my internet provider is, since it came while renting my room. However I do have a mail address by which I can contact them, but they haven't been able to help me so far. My router is a sitecom 202v5 router.

if anyone could help me, you don;t know how happy you would make me :)

In the meanwhile I will try playing without my zonealarm on :)

A search of the router pulled up similar results as well.

You can use this online tool to determine your ISP. Sorry I can't help in any other way. I've had my fair share of router issues but none like that. Is there any new firmware for your router?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Here is a list of things that come to mind mauranius.

1. There is an unusually high amount of crosstalk between your connection and another, or group of, connections in your building which is leading to an unstable connection. The only thing that can solve this is to get the isp out there to fix it.

2. Check Zonealarms firewall settings to make sure it is not interfering with the flow of information.

3. Emule may be taking up more than its fairshare of your bandwith, turn it off and see if that solves the problem.

4. Your routers firmware was updated and that is the cause. If it hasn't been updated then update it otherwise reset the router to its factory defaults.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/182886-router-ip-issues.html

I hope one of these will solve the problem.

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

Here is a list of things that come to mind mauranius.

1. There is an unusually high amount of crosstalk between your connection and another, or group of, connections in your building which is leading to an unstable connection. The only thing that can solve this is to get the isp out there to fix it.

2. Check Zonealarms firewall settings to make sure it is not interfering with the flow of information.

3. Emule may be taking up more than its fairshare of your bandwith, turn it off and see if that solves the problem.

4. Your routers firmware was updated and that is the cause. If it hasn't been updated then update it otherwise reset the router to its factory defaults.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/182886-router-ip-issues.html

I hope one of these will solve the problem.

Thanks all for your suggestions, however I turned of my zone-alarm and now everything is working fine... *hits zone-alarm with a 2 by 4 rock* anyways, I don't like playing without firewall,,, so I need to reconfigure it... it is interferring with the information on some point... can't figure out what rules to apply... :S

If Zonealarm is giving you that much trouble then I would suggest on going to a new one.

Here are the top five free firewalls out there:

http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-firewall.htm

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

i don't 100% understand your problem

however, if the problem could be caused my runescape, some strict firewalls may want you to allow these ports:

those are runescape ports; yes, runescape has ports.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Added an IP range into trusted zone, which included the IP of my router, the problem is solved :)

Edit: NVM problem is back, 2.5 hours into care free internetting again I can't connect to other servers etc....