Hawks' Story

Hawks

Hmm... This is an interesting place. Seeing as this odd portal has given me this crude map (Can unquantifiable objects be characterized?... File that away for later.) I suppose I will head toward the river, if there are civilized peoples here that's where they ought to be... If they're not they should still be there...

I now notice... My armor, my sword... It's gone. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention to the wizard; no, he would have told me that... Well at least I still have my amazing hat. If there are others here they'll laugh, but they will find I'm very useful to them.

Upon closer inspection, the portal also left my tattooes and earring intact... I'm fairly sure he said those would go.

Ah well. Toward the river we go, it appears to be north... First thing I'm going to do is make a decent map.

Hmm... What's that up ahead? Seems humanoid. (Wizz, I think I've found you)

"Hello, do you speak Common?"

9as8hz.png

Hawks: http://hawkxs.deviantart.com/art/Hawks-124470138

The shirtless man replied in what was Common, whether he knew it or not.

"I haven't seen others, though there must be some around here. My name's Hawks, by the way,"

I sat down on a nearby rock, and noticed that it was particularly flaky. I grabbed a smaller, white rock and chipped off a bit... It was, indeed, flint. This is good, I can make a knife, cut some of that branch off, and spear some fish to eat...

"Yeah, if you could find something... I'm sure this is flint, so you could take a stick, stick it on the end and maybe spear some fish... Though I don't have any steel to start a fire with."

I did just that. I chose a straight branch and lopped it off, then broke it in half. I took the flint and made sort of a notch in the end, then jammed the flint in as far as it would go. I handed it to Wizz, then made another one.

I took off my boots and waded into the river. The fish were plentiful, and appeared to be some sort of trout. I took careful aim, making sure the setting sun cast my shadow onto land. With a sudden movement, I suprised a large one. I grabbed it out of the water and hurried to the bank.

"Here's a fish..." I said as I set the dead fish on another large flint rock. "I'll go look for some berries, and maybe I'll find something to start a fire with... Not sure on that though."

From the river I heard Wizz ask for some sticks and twigs. Being very careful about it, I took my hat and slowly filled it with berries, most of which I think were wild strawberries, since I recognized them easily. I also found a nice blueberry bush and something that might have been raspberries, but might also have been poisonous... Didn't take any of those.

I collected a lot of small sticks that were lying about on the ground, as well as some pine needles. They're really useful as tinder, except they burn quickly. On my way back, I found a large, recently fallen tree that if taken care of properly, could provide very good firewood.

"Here's the sticks and stuff. And there's a nice tree back there ripe for burining,"

I sat on the rock again, and dragged my fingers back and forth across it... Wait a minute... Was my ring steel? I pulled it off my thumb, and struck it across the flint. "SPARKS!" I yelled.

"Yes! Here, gimme that." I set up a small pile of pine needles and surrounded them with twigs, then some smaller sticks. I took the flint off the spear and struck the ring with it many times... After a few minutes, when the sun was almost down, I had made a very small, but growing fire.

EDIT: OOC: I have no life so PICTURE TIME: http://hawkxs.deviantart.com/art/Hawks- ... -124596384

[hide=]Hawks_2___With_Spear_by_hawkxs.jpg[/hide]

Hawks managed to start a fire while I was looking at the berries. I astonished that he started a fire, I pondered to myself if he knew magicks too.

"Well I guess I won't have to waste magi on a fire" I said chuckling.

I fumbled through his hat full of berries. "I see you manages to find the some berries"

I examined one of the berries. "Wow and they are Darvi Berries also. These were a delicacy back home." I said staring at the red juicy berry with seeds ingrained into its skin.

"I managed to catch three fish besides the one you caught, all nice and big." I pointed to the pile of fish next to the crude spear.

The sun settled and it started to get dark. I quickly got one of the twigs that were useless for burning and started making it into a skewer using the piece of rock Hawks made.

"So where are you from?" I asked as I made the skewer. I settled myself unto a nice rock with a thump and jingle from my amulet.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

"I doubt that you've ever heard of it. It's a place called Drakon... I'm not really sure what I can compare it to. I was at a festival when a 'wizard' asked if I'd like to travel to an alternate dimension. I said, why not?, and so he sent me here. It was more of a joke than anything, I thought he was a fraud and nothing would happen. There I was a sort of semi-celebrity, I had been on a really popular holocast show... And I've got some skills that paid for college... But are pretty useless here for the time being."

I still wasn't wearing my boots, or socks... I liked the sort of soft grassy sand mix there was here. I picked up a stick and slowly worked the end to a point, then attempted to skin and gut one of the fish. I did a decent job, seeing as I didn't really have a knife. The flesh ended up in two main pieces, and I threaded one on the stick and set the other next to the fire on a rock.

"You know, I could probably make some sort of grill thing out of this rock if I had enough time... It'd be much better for cooking fish on. I think that's a job for tomorrow. What should we do about building a shelter? We've got fire, which should protect us from any wayward animals, but it'll get cold... At least I think it will, it's cooling off right now."

"I think cooking fish by this old fashion method is Ok." I said holding up my skewer with a gutted fish impaled in it. "I'm pretty sure the fire will keep us warm," then I smiled at the next part "or we could cuddle together for warmth." I laughed at the word cuddle.

"I can guarantee you a wild animal will come up to the river, chances are it will be big and furry. We can kill it and used it's fur as blankets. Or find cotton and make crude clothes. I know how to tan a Bumy skin, all other animals are pretty much the same no?" I knew I desperately needed a shirt, nights were always cold.

" So a wizard came up to you? " I asked "Well arn't you going to ask me the same thing?" I questioned as I toyed around with my amulet.

I knew it wasn't polite of me to be pointing out his rudeness, but still I wanted him to atleast know something of me, that way I won't feel like a complete stranger.

94qbe.jpg

"Er... Sorry, I sort of figured since you asked me, you were going to tell me about yourself after I told you... Sort of an odd problem I have... So how about you tell me about yourself?" I chuckled a bit.

"I guess I should have just stated it instead of asking" I chuckled also

"Well I come from a land called Diachilet, it was a good place. We have a system called magicks, it's this sort of inner energy that we used to affect objects. Hard to explain. I gotten myself into a bit of trouble so I ran when all of a sudden a portal appeared. I decided to enter, all of a sudden I was in this white room and a little piece of paper was on the wall next to another portal. It explained the situation to me of what would happen if I step through the portal. So I did. I was studying in a school to perfect my art in magick, it used to be stronger but that gram told me my magick will be reduced here and slowly come back"

I then looked at the moon.

"Looks like the moon from my land. Guess we should sleep now and think about shelter tomorrow, but for now lets just sleep near the fire... unless your cold and you want to huddle" I teased once more.

94qbe.jpg

The river glowing woke me up. As the sun rose it made the river glow as it it did when it settled. I saw our fire had been extinguished and reduced to nothing but smoldering ash. I saw Hawks on the opposite side of the ash, holding that weird hat of his, still asleep. A moment later I hear a loud splash behind me. I turned around to face what might have fallen, turns out it was just a bird that dived in and caught a fish with it's talons. I decided to get up and fish some more fish before Hawks wakes up. I knew he would be happy to wake up to a breakfast.

94qbe.jpg

I awoke to the smell of cooking fish... Today I would take it upon myself to procure some form of shelter, and make more weapons, so we could get some furs for warmth.

"Come on, Wakey wakey!" I teased. "Time for breakfast, we have a big day ahead of us."

I threw a cooked fish at Hawks. "You still have some of those berries? You know I was thinking maybe if we cut a big chunk off of that rock we can make a hatchet or some sort."

Silence.

"Hawks? Did you hear me?" I waited for a response.

94qbe.jpg

"Ughh..." The nice day would not be such a nice day after all. I tried to open my eyes, and couldn't... Then the world went black.

OOC: Hawks'll probably be in whatever state he's in for the next week.

I quickly went to Hawk's side. I heard a small moan.

"Hawks?!? Hawks?!?!"

I could tell from his dry mouth that he was intoxicated, sick. Must have been one of those weird berries I didn't eat, I knew those green berries looked weird.

I put Hawks in a comfortable position and made a bed and pillow using branches and scrubs from trees and bushes on the forest border. Hawks was my first priority. I quench that thirst of his using a makeshift bowl from using a weird fruit and some stones as a bowl. Shame lots of water leaked out so I had to be quick with getting water to him.

It was still day and if I had to guess I have roughly three hours until sunset. While Hawks rested I fished more fish for me and kept the fire going, I decided to cut more of that weird sharp stone and make a hatchet head for chopping wood. Only problem would be making a handle. Sometimes I would panic when Hawks would breath heavily for a few seconds then suddenly stop then suddenly continue, I don't want my only friend to die.

From the scrap wood I started to slowly craft an icon of Lynsander and hope for a full moon tonight so I may atleast get some magicks. That way I can probably help him and cure him faster.

As the sun was setting I made another bed for me to sleep and put it where I can watch over hawks, I knew my magicks was low here far away from my land and healing magicks won't make a significant change, but it could help.

As I crafted that piece of wood I looked down at my amulet, I remembered how much it protected me and remembered that dear person who gave it to me. How he sacrificed his life to save mine, my teacher, my dearest friend. That amulet was given to me and I remembered his words.

"This amulet is no normal amulet, its stone is enchanted to give hope and protect the person who wears it. I want you to have it Wizz"

I remember his smile as he handed it to me, because of him I smile more often now and I learn to trust people. I took off my amulet and put on Hawks, I knew where ever he is right now, he can use some hope. I lay down on my bed next to the fire, and watched the night sky. Seems the fire attracted blue glowing winged insects, I did not mind them they seemed harmless. I turned to face hawks, and slowly closed my eyes.

94qbe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how long I've been out... When I opened my eyes the sun was just rising. Wizz had fallen asleep next to the now dead fire. I noticed I was lying on my side, with Wizz's amulet around my neck. That thought brought back the little that I remembered from my extended sickness... Many odd shapes and disconnected thoughts floated through my mind, but nothing specific. I wonder if it was because of this new world... I know I'm not eating the berries that look like raspberries for a while; I don't think they are.

• 1 month later...

"I think we should get moving," I say to Wizz, "There's got to be people around here someplace, on my map there's a sort of path, I think we should follow that."

oirf9w.png

The light pinkish is what I'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Wizz appeared to be still asleep. I took a stick of charcoal from the fire and scratched words in the dirt. "Headed east along path. Map is different now, going for Inn. Come if you want"

I gathered a spear and pocketed a chunk of flint, and began my walk. I figured it would take a couple of hours, tops.

oirf9w.png

51n9v.png

Heading toward the Inn.

Up ahead, I see a largish building with a bit of smoke coming out of it. I hear loud voices, apparently arguing over a newcomer... So there are others, civilized, who speak my language.

I make no attempt to be quiet and carry the spear by the wooden end, pointed toward the ground.

'Hello? I hear you all, my name's Hawks, I come in peace and all that rubbish,"

Currently at the Inn.

As we discussed the various options we had, Tyler announced he planned to go to the fort. I decided I might as well go with him, he seemed 'normal' enough and I thought his world would have been similar to mine. I also didn't much like the looks of this Archimage.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ow my head."

I looked around and noticed the empty fire.

"Ugh, what happened?"

Right next to me I saw some writing in the floor.

"Headed east along path. Map is different now, going for Inn. Come if you want"

"Oh, great. Must have been a Zedlei night, I always hated Zedlei nights."

Zedlei nights were special for my people. Whenever one would run out of magic to an extent they sleep for roughly three days.

"Hmm Hawks must have headed east" I said as I scratched my chest. Then I noticed that my amulet was missing! Oh no I forgot I put it on Hawks.

"Agh! I guess I better go find him!" I started running east taking that sharp rock that Hawk made with me. I then remembered about the satchel of food, and snatched it up.

.... 3 hours of running later

*huff huff* Finally *huff huff* the Inn. It seems the forest has disappeared and no there is grass, I remember passing some signs but writing in a language I could not understand.

I took a moment to catch my breath and knocked on the door. The moon shining on my bareback.

"Hello!!!! Anyone there?" No response. I knocked harder "HELLO!!!!!!"

Off in the distance I heard someone chanting a song

"Rag and Bone man! Rag and Bone man, hehehe"

"Hey old man! Over here!" I manage to catch his attention. "Do you know who is in this Inn?"

"Nope, but I may have some information, for a price of course."

"I just have this satchel with berries and this sharp rock"

"Oooh, the berries." The old man began scarfing them down.

"Well old man, spit it out. Tell me what you know."

"Hmm a deal is a deal then. A couple of boys went off somewhere. Something about a fort."

"Was one of them wearing a funny hat?!"

"I believe so." I knew immediately that this can only be Hawks he was talking about. Suddnely the Old Man interrupted my thought "Hey boy, don't you get cold without a shirt."

"Never bothered me."

"How bout this, I'll strike you another deal. If you can catch this Butterfly without injuring it, I will give you a robe that will keep you warm, boy" He held a sparkling Crimson Butterfly from his hand.

"That's it? Too easy" I remembered how when I was young I would capture all sort of insects for my Mother. I held out my hand in front of the Old Man's and waited.

The butterfly suddenly flew leaving a sparkling trail of golden dust behind, I stretched my hand hoping it would land, keeping as still as possible.

"I see, very interesting, hehehe" whispered the Old Man. Then without warning the butterfly began flying fast surrounding me in dust.

"Hey! Stop that!" I waved my arms as the dust began to slowly go away. The butter fly was gone but I was wearing a Crimson, old fashioned robe trimmed a golden yellow. On the back was a butterfly insignia that sparkled like the golden trim.

"Wow, amazing" I said "Whats the catch Old man?" But he was gone. In the distance I heard "Rag and Bone man! Rag and Bone man! Hehehehe!"

"Hmm that was odd. But now to find Hawks." I regretted not memorizing the map I tried knocking on the Inn door one more time.

OOC: Is anyone in the Inn? Which way is the fort you guys ran off to?

94qbe.jpg

OOC: Not anymore. the fort is to the north of the Inn. I apologize for leaving you there... In retrospect I should have at least pmed you.

Erg no smilies.