SQL (Structured Query Language) Help needed

woopidoo2

I know that I shouldnt be asking others do solve things for me, but this is an emergency.

I need some help in making this SQL query, I failed at the first attempt and I havent got a clue what the answer is.

Our whole class is having trouble with it actually, except for the few die-hard coders.

The information:

''Select the first name and Email adress from everyone with an income below 20.000.

On top of that, select the message-number, title and text from messages that belong to the theme 'fun!!'.

(Make sure that the different messages are next to eachother in one rule, behind the first name and email-adress from that person.)''

[First name], and [income] are from the database 'Persons'

[Message number], [title] and [text] are from the database 'Messages'

['Theme'] is from the database 'Newsletters'.

I will give you more information if you need it :)

Thanks in advance, if there's an SQL-expert out there.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

I'm not sure I understand the question entirely. Do you have the database schemas or is this like a textbook question? If the former, I'll be able to get a query for you.

''Select the first name and Email adress from everyone with an income below 20.000." works out to this:

SELECT first_name, email_address FROM persons WHERE income <= 20;

but I think you want all this information in one query? I can't see how all the data relates with the information you've given, so I'll need more if you want a complete query

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

It's been a while since I did anything with SQL, but I have my trusty SQL Bible, so I might as well give it a shot (I assume that, by "20.000," you mean 20,000). :P

SELECT first_name, email_address from Persons where income<20000;

For the second part, I need a value that connects the two tables (Messages and Newsletters). I'm guessing it is the Message number and, if so, try this:

SELECT Message_number, title, text from Messages in (SELECT Message_number from Newsletters where Theme='fun!!');

Not sure about what's being asked in the parentheses, so good luck with that part. :thumbsup: :lol:

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

A bit in the reverse. The Messages table should have a newsletter_id field pointing to the newsletter that message belongs to. So try this:

SELECT Message_number, title, text, newsletter_id FROM Messages INNER JOIN Newsletters ON Messages.newsletter_id = Newsletter.id WHERE Newsletter.theme = 'fun!!';

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I uploaded the .mdb file:

http://rapidshare.de/files/47589494/kla ... d.mdb.html

The words are in dutch, here's the question again:

Select [voornaam] and [e-mail] from everyone with an income of 20.000.

Select [berichtnummer], [titel] and [tekst] from messages (berichten) that belong to the theme Fun!!.

(Make sure that the messages are next to eachother on one rule, behind the first name and email-adress from that person.)

I believe I have to bring 3 different tabels into 1 query, although I'm still lost on how to do this.

Thanks alot for the help so far :)

carsignatureis3.jpg

The trouble is theres no fields shared between the personen table and any other table (that I can make out).

Edit this should work

SELECT personen.Voornaam, personen.[E-mailadres], personen.Inkomen, nieuwsberichten.berichtnummer, nieuwsberichten.titel, nieuwsberichten.tekst, nieuwsbrieven.thema

FROM personen, nieuwsbrieven INNER JOIN nieuwsberichten ON nieuwsbrieven.nieuwsbriefnr = nieuwsberichten.nieuwsbriefnr

WHERE (((personen.Inkomen)>20000) AND ((nieuwsbrieven.thema)="Fun!!"));

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

The trouble is theres no fields shared between the personen table and any other table (that I can make out).

Edit this should work

SELECT personen.Voornaam, personen.[E-mailadres], personen.Inkomen, nieuwsberichten.berichtnummer, nieuwsberichten.titel, nieuwsberichten.tekst, nieuwsbrieven.thema

FROM personen, nieuwsbrieven INNER JOIN nieuwsberichten ON nieuwsbrieven.nieuwsbriefnr = nieuwsberichten.nieuwsbriefnr

WHERE (((personen.Inkomen)>20000) AND ((nieuwsbrieven.thema)="Fun!!"));

I think you solved it :D

I cant see what would be wrong with this query, and it works so I guess this is the right answer :)

Thanks alot for helping me out :)

carsignatureis3.jpg