Computer will not turn on

VARN

I have a computer that I am trying to fix

What I have done: reinstalled windows xp

After doing this the problems still remained freezing and noises from the hard drive.

When I returned a few days later with memtest x86 and a hard drive utility, the computer would not turn on. I took the panels off and took out the power supply; with an ohmmeter, I tested it. The power gets to the power supply, so I unplugged the 20 pin connector, jumped the third and forth terminal (ground and on) the fan turns on; I then proceeded to test the other terminals, all have power. I then traced the wire from the on/off button, disconnected the wire and jumped the pins, nothing happened. The green LED does not even turn on with power to the motherboard.

Any ideas?

So you tested the PSU, and its working correctly. Sounds like your motherboard is toast. Ifso, theres not much you can do. Do you still have warranty on it? (assuming no, since 20 pin motherboard lead has been replaced by 24 for quite a while now).

I think your going to have to look at getting a new motherboard.

darksigjd4.jpg

[Ellhound JR][Combat [bleep]][138][200M Attack XP][134/200M Hitpoints XP][250+ jad kills][ <!-- m -->http://www.ellhound.com<!-- m -->]

So you tested the PSU, and its working correctly. Sounds like your motherboard is toast. Ifso, theres not much you can do. Do you still have warranty on it? (assuming no, since 20 pin motherboard lead has been replaced by 24 for quite a while now).

I think your going to have to look at getting a new motherboard.

I'd honestly think he's gonna probably need a new computer entirely, since it's easier than just trying to replace everything to one motherboard. The HD making noises is a bad thing entirely, so the HD might be dead, I don't know.

Besides, 20-pin connectors are OLD. He might have a warranty left if he's lucky. But yeah, the motherboard is out of comission at this point.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.