Grub Error 22

InkofDeath

I Googled this error, and found it's related to the installation of any Linux distro, and then deleting the entire partition in which the distro was installed on.

So here's the story:

Two weeks ago I installed Ubuntu on my second HDD. After a few days I needed the space back for game recordings. Deleted the entire HDD and then reformatted it with my first HDD, which still had Vista on it, through the disk management program. I then reformatted it back to NTFS file system and began using it for recordings.

So since then I had been using the second HDD without any problems or any errors while booting.

Then all of a sudden, today I boot up my computer, I get past the initial boot up screen, and then I get this error:

GRUB loading stage 1.5....

GRUB loading please wait...

ERROR 22

-----

So I google'd it and found it was from deleting the partition in which had Linux on it. Then forums started to say you needed to do something with bootdisk or supergrub or something...

But it was all aimed at people trying to reinstall linux and not those who still have windows and want to keep their files.

So I booted without the second HDD and still got the problem. Changed the boot up priorities for each HDD and such, but still didn't work, even though I didn't expect it to.

So what exactly is the problem, if you could explain it, and how do I fix it, if at all while keeping the files I have on the first hdd and possibly the second hdd?

My computer's specs:

viewtopic.php?p=6319330#p6319330

Thanks if you can help Tip.It <3

---

The google searches:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 57b1e83a28

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... on-377590/

For reference?

It is because you delete the partition you delete had all the grub files on it which would have been your linux partition and the MBR is set looking for GRUB. To fix it what you can do is use the vista CD and just repair your windows installation and that will fix the MBR. If you don't have the cd you can reinstall linux on a small partition or GRUB. Then use EasyBCD once you are in windows to rewrite the windows MBR.

To fix it what you can do is use the vista CD and just repair your windows installation and that will fix the MBR.

This would be the backup CD's to compeltely reinstall or would it just 'repair' without deleting any files...?

I have a bad memory, but the reinstall cd or windows cd has the option of repair and reinstall right? Or what? :o

& Linux can go screw itself, lol. Stupid wine. >.>

To fix it what you can do is use the vista CD and just repair your windows installation and that will fix the MBR.

This would be the backup CD's to compeltely reinstall or would it just 'repair' without deleting any files...?

I have a bad memory, but the reinstall cd or windows cd has the option of repair and reinstall right? Or what? :o

& Linux can go screw itself, lol. Stupid wine. >.>

You need the actual windows cd itself. Non of those cds that is given out with a prebuilt PC from Dell, HP, etc... You can just do option 2 that i posted above.

So basically do this:

Install Linux > download BSD and use it?

How am I getting into Windows through Linux...?

Either install linux again or GRUB, linux would be easier. Then GRUB will be back boot into windows and use EasyBCD to restore the vista MBR. Then you can delete the linux partition.

OK, so in the program, I just click on 'write MDR' as a reinstall, under the Manage Bootloader tab?

Thanks.

Click "Manage Bootloader on the side. Then click the "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" radio button. Then click "Write MBR". Then restart to make sure it boots straight to windows before deleting the linux partition.