Smithing

vivimancer

I love smithing and have been chipping away at it since about '03, its become the reason I return to the game time after time and frankly Dragon armours killed rune..

There are many threads about how smithing can re-gain the glory days of the "king of skills" and I'm sorry but that is not going to happen.

But it seems that it has fallen behind other skills and mini-games and there are a number of ideas mooted that could bring it back to 'useful,' but I'm not going to rehash old news.

Why not give smithers the ability to turn metal items back into bars, by using the blast furnace (avalable only to P2P'ers) or a new area(?!) but on a decreasing scale, either returning percentage of the total metal items added (meaning rune items would return more rune bars that bronze items would return bronze bars) or an arbitrary rate of around 30% (e.g. A steel body plate would return 2 steel bars)

Effectively creating a scrap market for mid-low level armours/weapons, G.E prices for such items would reflect the actual cost of the bars, or at least establish some parity. This would have the following effects on the sysem...

1. Things normally dumped in general shops would instead put them on the G.E, forcing the price of random items e.g. steel helms, down

2. These items would be bought by scrap'ers forcing the value up

3. The bars made from these items would return to the G.E forcing bar prices down,

4. Players that normally bought bars for the quick smithing levels, seeing the drop in price would buy more bars,

5. After these high net-worth players return the bars, as items. G.E. Prices drop as they sell at min. price.

6. Which allows scrap'ers to buy more items for less money

7. Repeat step 3

Any thoughts Tip.it?

vivimancer.png

I disagree that all Bars should go to g/e when sold to general store as the General Store is an effective way to lower inflation.

Also you can't force players to buy this increase in bars, many would not sell. Therefore prices would drop to a price that would make up for the general store's lack of stock, making this idea pointless.

P.S. incase you take this the wrong way, I'm not saying the bars will drop to general store prices, I'm saying it will go somewhere inbetween, let's say general store sales represent 20% of sales in the game for bars, I'm saying bar prices will drop 20%.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

1. Things normally dumped in general shops would instead put them on the G.E, forcing the price of random items e.g. steel helms, down

Incorrect. It would cause the price to go up. How much of steel bars are made into steel helms? Less then 0.1%. Steel helm prices will INCREASE dramatically. The price of steelbars>steel helm. People would buy helms until the price of helms was the same as bars.

2. These items would be bought by scrap'ers forcing the value up

Exactly!

3. The bars made from these items would return to the G.E forcing bar prices down.

Exp>Bars/Items

4. Players that normally bought bars for the quick smithing levels, seeing the drop in price would buy more bars.

Bars will not fall to "item" prices. The "bar worth" of items will equal bars.

5. After these high net-worth players return the bars, as items. G.E. Prices drop as they sell at min. price.

Who actually buys steel helms?

6. Which allows scrap'ers to buy more items for less money

Your points contradict themselves...Plus some are incorrect.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I do like the idea of being able to scrap some items to get bars back, but at the same time it seems to good. Maybe you can do it only at a special furnace that is unlocked by a quest or something, and instead of getting bars back you just get a counter of how much scraping you have done, and there are items you can smelt based on how much you have in your counter. Idk though seems like a decent idea.

tintdawg.png