If a nest falls in a forest, does it make a sound?

Red_Reaper73

Okay, yes that was a lame pun of a title, so to spare your time I'll cut right to the question.

I am going for 99 wc through yews which will obviously take a while, so I will be browsing forums and other various webpages to pass time. The only runescape sound currently activated are effects, so that i know when i need to find a new tree. Naturally, I'm trying to milk these lvls for as much cash as possible, so i don't want to miss any nests. So my question is, does a nest falling out of a tree make a distinguishable sound?

red_reaper73.png

red_reaper73.png

yes, a weird chirpy sound that's louder than the usual chirps from the birds in forests. IMO, it's not distinctive enough to be noticeable if you're not really paying attention.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not sure if it does, yews don't drop nests often so I wouldn't worry to much if you miss them.

Are there certain trees that drop nests more often? This just reminded me to go put on my rabbit foot lol.

yes, a weird chirpy sound that's louder than the usual chirps from the birds in forests. IMO, it's not distinctive enough to be noticeable if you're not really paying attention.

I only have my sound effects on so i don't hear environmental effects. Currently all i can hear is chopping and when my tree collapses. Would this mean i can't hear a nest?

red_reaper73.png

red_reaper73.png

I'm not sure. I don't have music on...only both sound effects. Occassionally you'll hear chirping, hooting, weird bird noises...those obviously aren't it. The birds nest is a louder version of the chirping. It's purposefully louder because of the drop...I think it's like a triple chirp....once you hear it once, you'll know exactly what to listen for.

make sure you're wearing a strung rabbit foot to increase your chances of drops, but don't expect many...one time, just once, I got two from the same tree, seconds apart...all the rest, it's mostly as a surprise, when I'm not even wearing the foot, but making farming runs...

295/303 Quest Points

pretty familiar with the rareness of nests by 90 wc =]. Although i do have another luck story like the one you mentioned where i got 2 simultanious nests holding a yew seed, and a raven egg. ::'

The weird part is...I'm chopping right now to use up evil tree magical banking ability and i got one...but i missed it because i wasn't paying attention...but i was looking at the screen and chatting!

there's one zammy bird in RS that will never hatch because of my carelessness...sigh...

295/303 Quest Points

If you're still wondering, SportsGuy was right, it's a chirpy sound. It's noticeably louder than the chopping sound when you woodcut, and you can hear it with only sound effects turned on; it's not an environmental sound.

I know this because I was woodcutting last night while watching some of the machinima contest entries, and I got two nests. I had my music and environmental sounds turned off and sound effects turned up just barely enough to hear when I stopped chopping. And still, it was easy for me to hear the nests falling out.

Are there certain trees that drop nests more often? This just reminded me to go put on my rabbit foot lol.

It's not so much that other trees "drop" more nests. It's just that you are cutting a higher volume of logs in a shorter period of time than you are with Yews. I am pretty sure that the amount of nests you get is loosely based on how many logs you cut.

For example, I noticed that I was getting a substantial amount more nests when cutting Teaks as opposed to Maples but when I cut Willows it was kind of in between the other two's nest amounts.

Apparently, my signature was to big.

pretty familiar with the rareness of nests by 90 wc =]. Although i do have another luck story like the one you mentioned where i got 2 simultanious nests holding a yew seed, and a raven egg. ::'

The weird part is...I'm chopping right now to use up evil tree magical banking ability and i got one...but i missed it because i wasn't paying attention...but i was looking at the screen and chatting!

there's one zammy bird in RS that will never hatch because of my carelessness...sigh...

How do you use that ability!?

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

You cut an evil tree down. Various stages of reward (from 1% to 100%) give you longer time of magical banking, varying also with type of tree you cut down. See Tip.It's guide on Evil Trees for an idea of how it works.

Evil Tree

295/303 Quest Points

You cut an evil tree down. Various stages of reward (from 1% to 100%) give you longer time of magical banking, varying also with type of tree you cut down. See Tip.It's guide on Evil Trees for an idea of how it works.

Evil Tree

I cut the evil tree, I filled my inventory with yew logs but nothing happend, I had to bank them.

perfetc_666.png

You got the rewards out of the dead trunk? You can't just chop it once. It only lasts for a certain amount of time.

295/303 Quest Points

Okay, yes that was a lame pun of a title, so to spare your time I'll cut right to the question.

I am going for 99 wc through yews which will obviously take a while, so I will be browsing forums and other various webpages to pass time. The only runescape sound currently activated are effects, so that i know when i need to find a new tree. Naturally, I'm trying to milk these lvls for as much cash as possible, so i don't want to miss any nests. So my question is, does a nest falling out of a tree make a distinguishable sound?

hello fellow 99 wcer goer. i use the same method as you and dont you sometimes wish it would make a sound when other ppl chop? because sometimes i have to wait for a tree, i go to a different website, and forget about rs. if there would be the chopping of the other ppl id remember but whatever.

about the nests i have no idea. im f2p :P .

You got the rewards out of the dead trunk? You can't just chop it once. It only lasts for a certain amount of time.

I nurtured the tree, hacked away at it, collected the reward, sold my kindling then went and filled up with logs with about 3 mins to spare in my time limit.

perfetc_666.png

Maybe I misunderstood...what is the problem you're having then?

295/303 Quest Points

When your inventory is full of logs, the logs you cut go directly to the bank. You will see an effect above your head each time a log goes into your bank. If you didn't see any of this during your magic banking ability time then maybe you just didn't cut any logs. This could happen, I suppose, if you are cutting a slower tree like yews or magics.

I don't waste time banking between getting my reward and running straight to a willow grove - great experience.

I did all that I had a full inv of yew logs then I tried clicking alot of things, I even talked to the leprechaun and still I had to bank my own logs.

Well, here's how it's supposed to work.

The second you collect the reward from inside the tree, the clock starts ticking. It's different depending on the things I previously mentioned (percentage of reward you're due for chopping and what type of tree).

Say I get 11 minutes of reward. I'll teleport to the camelot bank, deposit my inventory, withdraw a strung rabbit foot (and the seers headband) and a tinderbox and the rest is some type of log. I find the nearest maple tree and start chopping. For 11 minutes, a swirling white magic and a sound will alert me to the fact that a log was magically transported to my bank, assuming a few things.

First, you have to have space in your bank. If you don't have the space for the logs you're trying to cut OR a place-holder of the logs already in your bank, you can't magically bank it. Second, you can't chop logs you couldn't normally chop.

If you're still not getting magic banking, then you might be trying to do something other than chop. Your inventory can have anything filling up the space. I just choose logs, because I can burn them if I get a random event or a birds nest while chopping with the special banking ability.

295/303 Quest Points

I have over 10 free spaces in my bank, I am not raising my level for anything, all I am wearing is a d hatchet and those boots that make you lighter.

I chopped the tree, got the reward, sold the kindling, teled to varrock ran behind the palace and got a full inv of yews but nothing happend, even the leprechaun said I have the time to magic bank but the message didn't pop up to tell me the time had ran out.

I have never seen swirling magic or heard a noise.

Bug maybe? But this was months ago, I always assumed I did something wrong.

perfetc_666.png

well, chopping a full inventory of yews might have been your problem...

you don't have to chop wood to fill your inventory....since it takes a long time to chop a full inventory of yews, you might have used up your time and not realized it...filling up an inventory with anything is best right away.

295/303 Quest Points

well, chopping a full inventory of yews might have been your problem...

you don't have to chop wood to fill your inventory....since it takes a long time to chop a full inventory of yews, you might have used up your time and not realized it...filling up an inventory with anything is best right away.

I honestly never cos a few mins later it came up with the "your time has ran out" message, oh well it isn't a big problem.

perfetc_666.png