Open-Ended Quests

RSBDavid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-ended_(gameplay)

Basically I am suggesting quests where YOU determine the outcome and reward.

For example, you are told to go help the Mysterious Old Man with a task. En-route, a stranger asks you to assassinate the Mysterious Old man. You can either help or kill the MOM. If you were to help the MOM you would get reward A, likewise if you were to kill the MOM, you would get a different reward, reward B.

This would add some variety to quests and allow greater difficulty for some quests.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

In a way, some quests already have this, such as the Hazeel Cult quest, and the Temple of Ikov. I suppose we will see more of them as we go along.

Jagex scrapped that idea.

[hide=While Guthix Sleeps spoiler]In the time between Temple of Ikov and While Guthix Sleeps Lucien got the Staff of Armadyl even if you took the anti-Lucien path in Temple of Ikov.[/hide]

[hide=Curse of Arrav spoiler]In Curse of Arrav quest (Zemouregal's notes) it is revealed that Hazeel was resurrected even if you didn't help him in Hazeel Cult quest.[/hide]

It was probably too hard to design sequels for quests where you could choose from multiple paths.

i think jagex wants to avoid players saying things like this.

"BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT CHOOSING X WILL PREVENT ME FROM GETTING Y! YOU SUCK JAGEX"

Thats it exactly. They showed that they were against this when they opened up the pendant of armadyl to players who took the evil route in Temple of Ikov. Dissapointing tbh, as those players never earned a pendant, but thats how the game is going i guess.

Orioles8.png asciibacon.jpg

Orioles8.png

mostorganized2.jpg

*~72,749th to 99 Attack on 9 September 2009~*

In a way, some quests already have this, such as the Hazeel Cult quest, and the Temple of Ikov. I suppose we will see more of them as we go along.

Jagex scrapped that idea.

[hide=While Guthix Sleeps spoiler]In the time between Temple of Ikov and While Guthix Sleeps Lucien got the Staff of Armadyl even if you took the anti-Lucien path in Temple of Ikov.[/hide]

[hide=Curse of Arrav spoiler]In Curse of Arrav quest (Zemouregal's notes) it is revealed that Hazeel was resurrected even if you didn't help him in Hazeel Cult quest.[/hide]

It was probably too hard to design sequels for quests where you could choose from multiple paths.

Yeah, I can imagine. It's wasted content if they don't bring it back together, I guess.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think Hazeel cult is the only quest in which you can get a different reward than other players (excluding quests giving choice xp). If you did not side with Hazeel, I don't think you get the Hazeel mark.

Knowing that, we can assume that Jagex is against the idea of different rewards.