Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Pick worth it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Shepherdman7
[ Display Name History ]

Shepherdman7

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P

What about Gold, is it worth it for gold?

I'm not sure what further assistance you're expecting? I haven't mined for months, never seen a d pick in game and yet from the comments above I can discern that:

1. Current price is quite a lot higher than the price at which it will settle (expected to be similar to d-hatchet)
2. If you're serious about mining it is worth getting the best pick available irrespective of cost
3. It is 5-10% better than a rune pick
4. It is still a high demand object so there will be no problem in selling it
5. It's not worth it if you're only planning to mine concentrated ore

If that's not enough information for you to make your mind up, I suggest testing it out yourself.

I think he was (and I am) particularly interested in the fifth thing you said. But was that conclusion just deduced from the above? because I don't know of any proof that rune pick and dragon pick are equal on concentrated ore. Can someone point the way to this proof?
"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Mordendravid
[ Display Name History ]

Mordendravid

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • RSN:Mordendravid

What about Gold, is it worth it for gold?

I'm not sure what further assistance you're expecting? I haven't mined for months, never seen a d pick in game and yet from the comments above I can discern that:

1. Current price is quite a lot higher than the price at which it will settle (expected to be similar to d-hatchet)
2. If you're serious about mining it is worth getting the best pick available irrespective of cost
3. It is 5-10% better than a rune pick
4. It is still a high demand object so there will be no problem in selling it
5. It's not worth it if you're only planning to mine concentrated ore

If that's not enough information for you to make your mind up, I suggest testing it out yourself.

I think he was (and I am) particularly interested in the fifth thing you said. But was that conclusion just deduced from the above? because I don't know of any proof that rune pick and dragon pick are equal on concentrated ore. Can someone point the way to this proof?

The conclusion was just deduced from the comments above.. I have no personal experience of mining concentrated ores. Therefore if the comments above are not conclusive or there's some debate still, then I guess that's what needs further comment and/or the OP to test out.
Posted Image

Vulxai
[ Display Name History ]

Vulxai

Mitákuye Oyás’iŋ

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Wise Pond
  • RSN '07:Vulxai
Well my mining level isn't high enough to test it out. But yes, I would like some evidence that the d pick doesn't help out at the concentrated ores.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Termsand51
[ Display Name History ]

Termsand51

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
You must remember that it's all random anyway. So it is probably technically possible to mine faster with a Bronze Pick than a Dragon Pick. However, you're far more likely to mine faster with a D Pick than any other pickaxe.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@

Well my mining level isn't high enough to test it out. But yes, I would like some evidence that the d pick doesn't help out at the concentrated ores.

I mine there fairly often, and from my personal observations and conversations with the other miners, it DOES in fact appear that d pick offers no benefit over the rune pick at Concentrated Gold (can't say about Con. Coal though, but most likely the same).

mrpadre
[ Display Name History ]

mrpadre

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • RSN:Leman
From what my friends have told me, Concentrated gold is very random in nature, meaning you could get 40k exp per hour one day and 60k exp per hour the next. So you would probably need hundreds of hours to conclusively state that the type of pickaxe doesn't matter. But common sense makes you expect that D pick > Rune pick, so if a Rune Pick = D pick then a Bronze pick would = a rune pick.
Posted Image

Lore
[ Display Name History ]

Lore

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • RSN:Lorexvath
  • RSN2:Sixthplumber
  • Clan:Tal Shiar Alliance

From what my friends have told me, Concentrated gold is very random in nature, meaning you could get 40k exp per hour one day and 60k exp per hour the next. So you would probably need hundreds of hours to conclusively state that the type of pickaxe doesn't matter. But common sense makes you expect that D pick > Rune pick, so if a Rune Pick = D pick then a Bronze pick would = a rune pick.

The speed variation is due to when the rocks collapse, and whether you're on a co-operative world where everyone is mining the same rock (to eliminate waiting for respawns). The variation is not from how fast you actually mine the ore.

A bronze pick is *not* faster than a dragon pick, over any amount of time.
That's like saying a bronze dagger is a better pk weapon than an ags - because you hit a 5 with it once, while you hit a 0 with the ags.

I can't provide proof that the D pick is not faster on concentrated gold. It was a Did You Know, researched by a few of my clan members (atom_smash40, ts_stormrage, and a couple of others - didn't take that much notice at the time).

Keep in mind that while there are advantages of this being a liquid item, the price is bound to fluctuate and eventually drop to something more reasonable. Thus you will likely incur some cost of ownership.

MazteR
[ Display Name History ]

MazteR

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 102 posts
Hey!

I have 71 in mining atm and my goal is 85 and i am mining iron ores in yanille AND banking it, i can mine the iron ore quite fast and if i mine coal its quite slow (using rune pick). So i wounder will it be much faster if i mine the coal with a D-pick and get more xp/h than iron ores with rune pick?
I will bank all ores, and i have all the money for a D-pick, and it will also take a long time to get 85 so i will earn the losses if the D-pick falls down in prices.

Vulxai
[ Display Name History ]

Vulxai

Mitákuye Oyás’iŋ

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
I know the D Pick won't increase your xp/hr if you switch from iron to coal.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

MazteR
[ Display Name History ]

MazteR

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 102 posts

I know the D Pick won't increase your xp/hr if you switch from iron to coal.

oh okej, and i guess i cant mine iron faster than i can now?

Vulxai
[ Display Name History ]

Vulxai

Mitákuye Oyás’iŋ

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
Nope, once you can one hit it, you don't get much faster than that.

bayba
[ Display Name History ]

bayba

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • RSN:bayba
  • Clan:wolfscape
I call myself a miner, I am lvl 95 and not to too far, from lvl 96. I am going for cape.
I mine to both- gain xp, and for the cash benefit. (cash benefit is amazing)
I do not mine, in the fastest xp potential manner, but maximizing the xp/ profit ratio. (in my opinion)

That being said; YES. The d ax is worth it.

However, like when I first bought the dragon hatchet, for the money I had paid, I assumed it would be: like a Hot knife, going through butter! Very disappointing! Having known that, I still invested (and use the word"invest") in the dragon pickaxe! I use it, I make money/gain faster xp. I can always sell it. Anytime, and still had the benefit, of using it.
Posted Image

Kyle
[ Display Name History ]

Kyle

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • RSN:Kyle
I am currently researching this topic personally, with some fairly in depth and careful testing. The results should be released within 24 hours as well as the raw data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users