F1 2010 Season

Danqazmlp

What in the world were RBR thinking with giving Vettel the front wing, it is beyond me. As the commentators said, it was poetic justice, Webber was wronged and won out. His smile on the podium showed it all, it felt so good seeing him win.

I think the punishment on Alonso was fair, he should have given the place straight back in my opinion so not doing so ruined his race. Jenson can now add a 4th place to his finish list from 14th alongside a win and 5th.

The new layout track did provide excitement. Its amazing just how much space the Red Bulls make up through the new Abbey corner, there really is something on that car working perfectly.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this and it made me laugh: "Red Bull gives you wings... If you are Sebastian Vettel. They take them away if you're Mark Webber."

Apparently Webber is going to go speak to RBR Chiefs and has said he wouldn't have signed a new contract had he known how he'd be treated. Looks like "RBR-gate" isn't going to end anytime soon.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I don't blame him for that either. He is by no means #2 when it comes to the driving and all due respect to Vettel, he just doesn't have the consistency Webber does. Before the Turkey crash, you would never have thought of a rift in that team, but since then it seems to be going very badly, I just hope it doesn't effect their performances on-track too much.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All set for an interesting race tomorrow. Ferrari seem to have the faster car but once again the qualifying pace of Vettel keeps RBR hanging on. I personally can't see anyone other than a Ferrari winning tomorrow, Vettel isn't good enough and Ferrari have the car with the best traction and are the best car through turn 1. Could be an interesting race though!

SLwQsg1.png

The race was a lot better than I'd expected purely because of the Safety Car, if it wasn't for that then RBR would have probably lapped the whole field. Happy Webber got 1st and Alonso 2nd, really going to make for an interesting second 'half' of the season with 5 drivers separated by 20 points. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rule change in regards to making pit stops under the Safety Car after today, really lucky nobody was seriously hurt.

Schumacher's attempted block on Barrichello was poor, could have had a nasty accident if Barrichello even just clipped the wall, clearly Schumacher hasn't lost his "If I can't have this position, neither can you" mentality.

Great drives from Petrov and Hulkenberg though :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

Ifr the wall was another 2m that could have been a horrific accident. Both cars would have been out and just imagine if a back marker had been exiting the pits at the same time.

Was a good race by Webber, the laps he put in were outstanding.

zqXeV.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Qualifying for the Belgian GP was so fun. The first round's rain brought so much action. If you turned on the TV, you could have been forgiven in thinking it was the race. Watching them all vie for position trying to qualify at the same time was great.

zqXeV.jpg

Spa again providing one of the best races of the season, anyone in the top 10 could have won that race at the start. Disappointing for Barrichello that he managed to crash on the first lap of his 300th gp into one of the few cars who was actually going around the corner properly, but that's rain for you. Vettel has further proven he is a joke and shouldn't be allowed near an F1 car, gutted for Button as he deserved a lot better. Can't believe Christian Horner has blamed Button for the incident as well. It was hardly Button's fault Vettel was being reckless on a wet track.

I loved it when Sutil just flew past Schumacher on the straight after Eau Rouge, best bit of the race =D>

SLwQsg1.png

I agree, Button was simply driving when Vettel decided to try and overtake and take him out. Was a strange crash though with him going into the side of the car. very good race for Kubica, he is such an under-rated driver. How the top teams haven't picked him up yet is astonishing. He is definitely one of the best drivers out there, constantly pushing that car well above what it should be doing. I didn't see Horner blaming Button, but how on earth can he do that? You would need to be blind to think it was his fault.

Also an incredible race by Schumacher. Love him or hate him, he is a very good driver still. I found his comment funny (especially thinking of the German stereotype) "I must be losing some efficiency, I overtook 15 in '94 or '95, only 14 today"

Spa really is a legendary track, the rain always spices it up and it always rains there.

Looking forward to the next race at Monza. All the teams seem to be very close now. Will Ferrari's drivers even be there?

zqXeV.jpg

Supposedly Horner said Button should have been black flagged because he was a hazard to other drivers. Personally I just think Horner is frustrated that Vettel is throwing it away and could potentially prevent RBR from winning the Constructor's Championship and technically he could have ruined Webber's chance of winning the Driver's title by crashing into him in Turkey.

Yea that was a great drive by Schumacher, not too bad by Rosberg either.

Not sure what's going to happen to Ferrari, I reckon they will get thrown out of the Constructor's Championship and possibly the Driver's. It's somewhat hypocritical other teams saying Ferrari should be banned though, all teams do team orders in some way or another, Ferrari just didn't sugar coat it.

SLwQsg1.png

Really rooting for Webber to win the title this year, but wouldn't mind if Hamilton or Button get it.

Can't see Ferrari getting anything more than a slap on the wrist. Don't think Massa should be punished for it though.

keen.png

I thought the Ferrari hearing was yesterday, or is it next Wednesday?

I think it's the 8th of September, so it would be Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what the WMC decide to do.

Edit: Ferrari escaped any further punishment and the rule on team orders is going to be reviewed. Also India has been added to the F1 Calendar for next season.

SLwQsg1.png

A well deserved win by Ferrari. They won that themselves and didn't have to rely on anybody else's misfortune. Button drove his heart out and was so close, but those Ferrari's just had so much pace. The pressure Button must have been under in the first half with Alonso right behind him must have been immense. He stuck fairly close even after he got past showing just how fast he can be on a good day, but his straight line speed was killing him. I haven't seen a GP with the top two that close for the whole race in a very long time, even if it didn't have a lot of action, it had a ton of tension. One mistake by Button would have let Alonso past.

Again, a solid race by Kubica ending up in the points too.

Vettel's pit on the last lap was strange but it worked so well for him.

zqXeV.jpg

I actually thought Button was going to keep them at bay, he was managing the pressure of Alonso incredibly well. I think McLaren announcing their pit stop plans early pretty much ruined it for Button as all Ferrari needed to do was turn on the gas for a lap and job done, although they did pull of an exceptional pit stop for Alonso. Any one of three drivers could have won the race until the last lap, although perhaps not so much Massa.

What RBR did with Vettel seemed a bit counter-productive since they should really have tried to get Webber more points with Hamilton being out of the race and his two other rivals running 1st and 2nd.

Kubica really deserves to be in a front running car, personally I feel he should replace Vettel at RBR or at the very least get a driver with Mercedes.

SLwQsg1.png

Button had a fair amount of damage to his car from the first chicance collision with Alonso, which actually tore off his left rear-wing endplate, wish surely would've have hampered him. Also the announcment of the pit-stop over the radio was ridiculous, that for me was what lost it for Jenson, and it annoys me that he drove his best, with a damaged car, did everything he could and lost it possibly due to team error.

Rafftank.png

I read on the BBC website that it worked out that damage cost him about 2 seconds in the entire race so it's a pretty close call as to wether that was one of the factors that cost him the race.

Just seen on Autosport that this season's 2nd highest paid F1 Driver, none other than Kimi Raikkonen (Paid 17m even though he's not racing compared to Alonso's 30m) has approached Renault for a drive next season alongside Robert Kubica. If he does come back to F1 that will be an incredible driver line-up for 2011 :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited as its the Singapore GP this weekend, and I'm just about to head down for all the festivites that are going on. I'm very much looking forward to the race, especially as the championship is still so close. I'll be taking my camera/video camera with me incase I see any famous people and I get a chance to talk to them, although I doubt it, but you never know, and also to take pics of practices and qualifying and the race.

Edit: Incredible Race, so close in the championship. Was surprised by the local commentary saying nothing on Nico Rosberg the whole race and in my opinion he had a very good race, and was consistent and came 5th, just because he wasn't in the action doesn't mean he shouldn't be mentioned. Some brilliant driving by Kubica at the end as well. Kovalainens car smelt so bad when it came past the grandstand before getting to the pit straight. I had an incredible time all weekend, was a phenomenal race and there was a wicked atmosphere around the city this weekend.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

So jealous. Would have loved to have gone there. Why oh why did they not pull the lotus into the pit when it was on fire? He was heading straight in there then it looked as if the team told him not to. That fire was actually really big before he got out. a few more seconds and he really could have been on fire. Kubica did have a great race again I agree. After the puncture put him back into 12th (I think) he really just put his foot down and romped past everybody to get his places back.

Where were you topham? Were you around the grandstand which the track doubles back under?

zqXeV.jpg

Yeah, I was in the Marina Bay Grandstand which was the one where the track goes under, and it was very enjoyable. My friend was watching it somewhere and she said that the lotus team told Kovalainen to keep driving and finish the race. They clearly didn't think it was as bad as it was.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

That looked like a great grandstand to be in. Did it shake when the cars go under?

I've only ever been to one race which was the British GP in 05 (or was it 06?) but didn't even have a grandstand ticket. They are so expensive. My parents went the year after with grandstand tickets though. What I am really jealous of though is that they are going to the Malaysian GP next year, definitely one of the best tracks in the Asian calendar. But the best thing about going is just hearing how loud the cars are for the first time. You don't realise just how much they silence the cars on the television. It is almost deafening when they go past.

In other motorsport news though my tickets just came through for the final race of the season of the British Touring cars. Brands hatch in two weeks time on the directors terrace :thumbsup:

zqXeV.jpg

Still too hard to say definitively who is "out" of the fight at this point, it is still way too close to count anybody out with 4 (maybe 3 :S) races left. The points gap from Webber to Button is only one race win (25 points), which last year would be 10 points, not enough to count anyone out of it.

I think the Mclaren's have been claimed as the team that would drop out since Belgium, and have only lived up to it through misfortune. Button dropping to second in Italy along with being shunted out by Vettel in Belgium, and of course Hamilton retiring 2 races in a row, they both could be right up there with Webber + Alonse, if it weren't for stupid mistakes (By them or others *cough* vettel *cough*). But this is F1, and that's racing unfortunately :/

Based on points, its too hard to tell who could win this year's championship. Based on form, I would have to agree somewhat with Webber/Alonse. They are both very consistent, and very fast. Vettel has made many mistakes recently as has Hamilton, and they are destroying their chances all on their own. Button in the meantime has been having some consistent results (2nd in Italy, 4th in Singapore and would've been on the podium in Belgium imo).

Alonso imo could drive all the way to the chamiponship very valiantly, with the recent flood of form and speed, but I think he will have some misfortune soon, he does still have the problem of his engines, having no new engines left, and having to use old ones for intense races. Webber is the only contender who hasn't finished outside the points in the last 5 races, and has been conistent and fast, so I would hedge my bets with him, although he will have a tough job with all the contenders being very quick (He was out qualified by ALL the contenders in Singapore). He is a driver I admire, and would LOVE to see win, although I would be happier with one of the brits winning (particularly Button).

I beg that Vettel or Alonso don't win, Vettel has effectively taken out title contenders twice, and harmed their chances and has earned no favour from me, and Alonso seems like an arrogant idiot to me (after what happened in 2007 with Hamilton)

Rafftank.png