Surreal Streaks

rangeor

I worked on this for probably five hours, though most of the time was spent doing things that I really didn't need to do :P It sort of takes from my two favorite "genres" of art, surrealism and minimalism, and combines them into one. It wasn't really the intention, but most things I do end up reflecting those "genres" anyways. I'm not sure how to explain how I did it, but there was a little bit of digital painting... and no filters and it's all original work...

24lipv4.png

Also, I haven't been as active here in the gallery other than the occasional criticism post for the past few months because my life's gotten pretty busy. Luckily, thanks to the holidays, I've got two weeks of stress-free-sleeping-in-past-noon fun and FREE TIME! But things are going to get even more hectic in January and probably won't lighten up until at least March, more likely May :sad:

Minimalism is cool!

wl7w9j.png

I love the lines that arch across the whole of the piece.

Now, is the 'white' supposed to be blurry, to give a dreamlike effect, or is it the quality just not at its best?

Have you tried to use a sharper edge there? It's just something to try out.

Side note: I know the size is pretty big, I had to save to view it fully. >.<

I'm not a big fan of minimalist, but I like it.

~Echo

ZangetsuEchoSigFin.jpg

67/99/120 Invention

White? I don't see any white parts o.O

But the yellow/green parts, yeah some of them are supposed to be a bit blurry. I actually tried to make the whole thing a tad blurry to give it a foggy, dream-like sort of feel.

wl7w9j.png

The piece isn't working at all. The focal point is off, and whatever those plates are leads your eyes off of the picture where instead those plates are supposed to lead your eyes towards somewhere brighter as you have done. On the right of the piece you have too much black going on, it really is filler in the piece and serves no purpose, you need to crop that.

I see incorrect lighting oh the plates, as you're featuring them like rounded objects the the lighting is clashing and saying that they're flat pieces. It is unclear where your light source is coming from and creates a huge unbalance with the piece. You're not making the hues vast enough along the spectrum of dark to light, and that also makes the texture look flat.

Try looking up some pieces by Georgia O'Keeffe, you'll get a good idea of what you're aiming for, even though most of her work isn't minimalistic.

1260955552084-1.jpg

I actually tried to make the focal a bit vague. It's supposed to be about at the top-left of the middle box if you're going to follow the rule of thirds. I tried to use the black space to indicate that they were hiding somewhere rather vast and deep. But I agree the lighting isn't quite right, but it's supposed to be coming from behind the camera's view to the upper-left a little bit.

wl7w9j.png

5 hours :blink:

The colors are good, but the main thing that your painting does to me is to drag my eyes to the left all the way to your profile.

You'd need some elements that pull back the viewer into your painting.

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

Thanks To:reddawn509, Hoopster211, JacobRyan, navyplaya, bigsword33, Ferahgo28, speedofsound, Goldwolflord, unknowz, GonAndGary and born2die

5 hours :blink:

The colors are good, but the main thing that your painting does to me is to drag my eyes to the left all the way to your profile.

You'd need some elements that pull back the viewer into your painting.

I agree, you could maybe mirror a little of what is in the corner to the far edge where there isn't anything, just make it seem like more than a little bit of empty space.

But it's beautiful 5/5 :D

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]